1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GRANTLAND] Schaub Story

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by oelman44, Sep 30, 2013.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Very good perspective on Schaub, glad to see somebody with unbiased sense about the situation.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9747321/bill-barnwell-denver-broncos-week-4

1 person likes this.
  2. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Thankfully someone sees it like me. He isn't all that bad. I said it before. If he doesn't throw that pick-6 everyone would be talking about how he dissected that Seattle secondary and making it look easy.

3. Raven

Raven Member

He's basically saying that since there is a chance (are you saying there's a chance!) that Schaub can elevate his game in the playoffs/super bowl that Texans' fans shouldn't panic. Sure, there's a chance.

They are called odds, perhaps the most important words in pro sports, and the odds are not looking good for the Texans as long as Schaub is their starter.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I do kind of agree with Barnwell in the sense that yes, 3 pick-6s is obviously an aberration. And suppose the Vegas has Schaub's number of pick-6s for the next 3 games at 1/2, I would pick the under. So yes, in a way this is overblown.

However...

I do have my pitchfork held up for Schaub, because his situation is very different from the above QBs.

1. Schaub's calling card is his safe-ness. There's a difference between players like Flacco, Manning, Romo having a few pick-6s and Schaub, Alex Smith, Trent Dilfers of the world having pick-6s. Some QBs are high-risk/high-reward. Some QBs simply throw so much that they may throw some picks simply through volume(Brees). But Schaub isn't suppose to be either type. He's being paid and being considered good because he doesn't do things like this.

2. Schaub is getting old. And he's declining in terms of simply physical abilities. The rest of those QBs were in their physical primes or still getting better.

3. The Texans have a very small window of opportunity to win. Their core is getting old. AJ, Foster(in RB years), Schaub, Daniels, etc. can at best maintain their current level of play. So even one season where say this cost us a bye, or the division, or god forbid the playoffs, it's one year closer to the end of the era. So with the clock ticking, Schaub should be trying to be better at making decisions, not worse.

Basically, Matt Schaub's biggest positive is that he's a solid QB that doesn't lose you games. So if he starts to lose you games, what does he have left that makes him worthy of starting on a contender?

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Schaub actually has the second most passing attempts in the NFL so far this season.

6. SpiceLaneCowboy

schaub being a safe game manager type qb is a myth.

ive seen and read this plenty of times during his entire tenure as QB.

He's not.

He's a horrible game manager and he has always had costly INTs, and constantly buckles under pressure. The raider al davis death game, the ravens overtime game years back, his inability to win in Indy, his horrible performances this year...

Its all a myth, just like him being an accurate QB. That was another lie that a lot of schaub defenders love to play up. Schaub has always had accuracy problems. Even his completions are a problem.

He has horrible ball placement. He constantly throws behind the wideouts or at their feet. How many times have we seen Dre run back to the pass and dive to the ground to get the ball? How many times have seen deandre hoppkins catch balls at his feet?

Just look at our yards after catch, its horrible because schaub barely hits the wideouts in stride. They always have to come back to the ball.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Throwing a bunch of dink and dunk passes doesn't mean volume. It just means you're dink and dunking

Schaub vs. Brees

yd/attempt: 6.3 to 8.0
    yd/completion: 10.3 to 12.6
    yd/game: 298 to 340

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

The one year he's asked to be a true game manager, 2011, he performed incredibly well for his role. His numbers would've extrapolated to 3966yds(11th in NFL), QB Rating 96(6th) 24 TDs(10th), and 10 INTs(3rd).

That is almost the definition of a perfect high-end game manager.

9. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I really hope Matt gets his game together by sunday. Another pick 6 or INT and I see Houston fans getting even more restless than they already are.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Sorry, Schaub has so much talent around him. Pro Bowl RB, Pro Bowl WR, above average TE, and a nice rookie WR2.

He has a solid offensive line, not amazing, but let's be honest, it's not horrible by a long shot, and the fact that he has a good running game that helps keep the pressure off.

He has a great defense.

What more does he need? To score ZERO points in the 2nd half is just pitiful. Tom Brady has been throwing to dudes off the street for the last 5 years and he still makes it happen...WITHOUT a run game.

It all comes down to Schaub and Kubiak. Those two are holding this team back.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Its true that people may be making too much about this pick-6 and it is true that there have been other QBs in similar circumstances who elevated their games and won it all.

My problem with comparing these QBs to Schaub is that the other guys were coached by Tom Coughlin, Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, Tony Dungy and John Harbough (if you choose to include Flacco).

The pick-6 stands out, but the lack of offensive adjustment in the second half was just as egregious. Take a look at the game thread from the second half onwards: people start feeling the oncoming collapse while we still had a two score lead! Everyone in the nation knows what you are getting with Kubiak and Schaub, there are no surprises.

I'm not predicting a below .500 finish or advocating a coaching or QB change like some people. What I am saying is that there needs to be a fundamental change in this squad's approach otherwise you lose another year. IMHO, that game changer is Hopkins (19 targets in wins vs. 10 targets in losses)

12. Raven

Raven Member

13. SpiceLaneCowboy

that one year....

that one year he threw for so and so many yards....

that one year he did this...

that one year he did that...

Its always like that with schaub apologists.

What is he gonna do now and in the future is the question.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

with regards to the pick 6, Statistically, it doesnt happen 4 games in a row.

I believe in Schaub.

Kubiak isnt very good at knowing when to be agressive and when to stay conservative. He went with an agressive play and that pick 6 is as much on him as anyone.

15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The best part about this is that Brees and Schaub have comparable numbers this year, although Brees has an edge.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Right and if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

He did throw the interception and he has a track record of not getting it done in the biggest games. He isn't terrible, he just is not a QB you win a Super Bowl with, at least not with Gary Kubiak.

1 person likes this.
  17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

The one year all this came together and he got to finish a season he went 1-1 in the playoffs. So I wouldn't say he is holding us back until we have multiple seasons with no playoff success.

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

This is what I don't get with the Schaub haters. When we judge players, we typically look at their past performances to judge them. Statements like you made might feel good to say, but in actuality have little to no meaning and have very little base. Notice how Schaub "apologists" always back up their claims by using facts and stats while the people that don't like Schaub use a lot of blanket statements and other insults like "fetal position, noodle arm, slow as molasses".

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

As long as you are like Barnell and compartmentalize your argument to only consider pick sixes, there's no reason to swear off Schaub.

But once you consider what Schaub has been like on the whole the past 10 months.....different story.

He still has good drives in him, but his inability to deal with a pass rush, underpowered arm, brain farts, and flagging confidence are becoming too much of a liability to keep on tolerating.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

That's it Kubiak has got to go such a control freak let #8 change the play he's on the field and can see the defense better.