1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

seeing the huge numbers in the G7 and other first world countries is incredibly disheartening as someone currently living in a 3rd world. i am doing the best i can with staying home, isolating and taking all necessary precautions, however illiteracy here is still high and uneducated people run rampant. it seems all advises given by authorities are ignored, especially by religious nuts and their millions of blind followers. the rest are poor and destitute people who doesn't have the slightest idea of the seriousness of this situation. just a couple of nights ago i heard a religious leader (one of many) making fun of the virus. smh. they're making fun of this even as their neighbors have tested positive.

sadly there's really nowhere to run for me. just stay inside and hope for the best.

2. likestohypeguy

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

one of the top 3-4 asean countries.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

All German restaurants closing, only delivery and takeout allowed.

Bavaria also starting a lockdown for everyone, ppl only allowed to leave their homes for work, docs etc.

malakas, AroundTheWorld and B-Bob like this.
  5. likestohypeguy

Ah I wanted to look at your "stats", on the tracker.

Jontro likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Door handles and elevator buttons are the worst. Hospitals need to replace anything that you touch with sensors.

AroundTheWorld, dc rock and Yung-T like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree. or take out restaurants requiring you to sign something with a grubby pen.

cheke64 and Sajan like this.
  8. likestohypeguy

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can we press the button with the tips of our elbows?

10. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I've been doing. I work on the East Coast, and my work building is massive. 2nd largest building on the east coast behind only The Pentagon. It's a bank, so the gov. wants us to stay open. It's been crazy going to work with 1000's of people.. I finally got placed on paid quarantine til Monday, then I have to call a number Monday morning for an update. I've been training for the last 5 weeks so I feel I might be disposable. Others in my training class think they're gonna get paid for a few months to stay at home, I on the other hand told my co-trainees, that if I had to fire 16 people, that's how I'd do it. Go home for now and call on Monday.

I'm a Home Mortgage Consultant for a very large bank and if I do have a job when the dust settles, it will probably be in a different capacity to help people not get foreclosed, or refinance everyone into a 30 year fixed or ARM to whether this storm. Sorry for the rant, but yes Daywalker, I use my elbows for everything too now.

malakas, FrontRunner, ArtV and 3 others like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

best of luck to you breh. hope we all make it to the other side.

on another note, what's taking the vaccine so long? how long was the sars and ebola vaccine developed? shouldn't scientists be more adept to it by now with previous experience?

withmustard likes this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

They never developed a vaccine for SARS.

Nook and malakas like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

well fekk. how did they contain it? or were we all just lucky it stayed in one continent for the most part (did it?)?

14. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Tax filing deadline extended to July 15.

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does anyone have family members in Boot Camp, Navy ships, or the military in general? I'm wondering how they will make changes, if any to close quarters in Boot Camp barracks, as well as chow halls feeding hundreds at a time.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that had more to do with the fact that SARS died out, and there wouldnt have been a market so nobody would pay for clinical trials.

WHO has a list of 33 candidate vaccines for Classic SARS, many of which are being repurposed here.

#3296 Ottomaton, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Jontro and daywalker02 like this.
  17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

True but anyone who may be cash strapped by May should still file now because they will likely get a refund check.

Mazulis and FrontRunner like this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Right. SARS died out before a vaccine was developed for it. It was largely contained in Asia although there was an outbreak in Toronto. Obviously no where near what we are seeing right now.

#3298 gucci888, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    TMac'n, Jontro and daywalker02 like this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member