1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. omgTHEpotential

Thing about communist regimes, you're naive if you're giving them ANY benefit of the doubt about telling the truth.

Nook likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Yeah that was a terrible "middle passage" joke.

3. Major

Major Member

Once you test them and they test negative, couldn't you let them go at that point?

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe there is a lag between initial infection and the point that the body has reacted and gone crazy producing antibodies. During this period you are infected but the test can't detect it yet. The test relies on the body having noticed the illness and ramped up the immune response - again that is my understanding.

They know how long the disease takes to incubate. They wait until the last sick person isn't communicable any more, count off that incubation period, and if nobody is showing symptoms after that, they let them out.

Not an expert on immunology so I should probably stop talking there. I know the rules for quarantine are hundreds of years old and are dictated by the World Health Organization globally by international treaty. It isn't designed to be a flexible or responsive system - preventing epidemics is placed above the needs or wants of a limited number of infected individuals.

Major and malakas like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stop eating the Pokemon
    what the hell is wrong with you?

6. BenjaminChen

BenjaminChen Member

Of course,it's manis.
    The commies said so.
    They never lied to us about this virus , right?
    Oh,wait...:rolleyes:

Nook likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

Apart from what Ottomaton said (this is still an antigen test and not an antibody), even the most advanced countries have very limited capacity to test.

Until yesterday the UK could only test 100 people a day...now they can test 1000. This is their maximum capabillity after sharing technology, using every lab in the country and every trained personel.

That's why Japan announces the results from the cruiseship also in batches..50 - 50 every day..they cannot test everyone fast.

This is very ominous about what will happen when the pandemic reaches here, and there are thousands of cases every day.

Major likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Somewhat anecdotally, the flu test has like a 20% false negative rate, or something like that.

My daughter and I are recovering from the flu, and we both initially tested negative, only to (wisely) go back in the next day and test positive..

Yung-T and Major like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Were you vaccinated?
    Our head of health services, let us know yesterday, that the flu vaccine this year was defected and offers very limited protection.
    44% of already vaccinated got the flu anyway. :rolleyes:
    Get well soon.

mikol13 and Yung-T like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Yeah - I was more thinking that we know they are testing people on the cruise ship. However many those are, if they test negative, they could release them. If you could get 50 people off that ship every day, that would be better than saying "we think you're good, but back to the infestation zone for you". But as several people have mentioned, that doesn't work if they test can't accurately and fully clear people.

It would be nice if they could get a 2nd cruise ship and move people from one to the other as they test negative to at least try to get all the negative people together and have lower risk of spreading things, but that's probably not particularly viable or a priority.

malakas likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

They say the antibody test kit is in the works and should be released soon. Antibody tests are much more sensitive.
    I hope it is also faster and easier to get the results but I have no clue about that.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's loose in Singapore and circulating the population. They have cases now with no ability to trace to travel or any known clusters.

The cat is out of the bag on this one.

malakas likes this.
  13. Remix

Remix Member

China needs to quit ****ing eating exotic animals. The SARs strain of the coronavirus also came from people in China eating Civets

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That was excellent.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, it is about the people in charge. We have a President that has told around 15,000 lies since he has been in office. The people around him are no better. They lied about the Detention centers on the border. You think they would tell truth in a similar situation? Hell no.

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I wonder how Trump might deliver such a message as the Singaporean PM did....

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

"Those NASTY people are the only ones that need to worry about getting sick. Avoid people from SHITHOLE countries and don't eat Chinese food. My African-American friends should not worry because your Unemployment rate is the lowest in History. We are stopping the Mexicans are the border with my Big Beautiful Wall because many of them are infected. If you vote me in November, you won't get sick!". - Donald J. Trump

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i wasn’t. But the rest of my family was and half of them got it.

malakas likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

Singapore is a police city state that if you chew a gum you are named a gangster and thrown to prison and protests are prohibited.

Of course their leader will try to do everything to keep the people calm, oppressive regimes like that are the ones in the most danger of losing control.

pippendagimp likes this.