1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CC's evolved into a legit All Star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 4, 2020.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

When was he an all-star?

From memory, never. Plus he cried last season when he wasn't selected.
    And Clint dominates him every time one on one. He should probably cry about that as well?

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

My bad, he was All NBA (which is better than All Star). And DPOY twice.

Hakeem struggled against Eaton. It happens to even the great ones. But that does not invalidate their accomplishments. Love Clint too but let's not be petty.

DeBeards likes this.
  3. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Capela was fantastic Friday night they were commenting on NBA radio Saturday morning how Embid looked out of shape compared to Capela. They said everyone knows Embid is the better player but he is not in the physical condition that Capela is and it showed on the court.

joshuaao, Stephen_A and D-rock like this.
  5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Capela is currently a 14/14 center. Nearly identical to Gobert and Clint is a couple years younger. I don't think we've seen his best. There was an eight-game stretch earlier this season where Capela grabbed 164 total rebounds. 20.5 rebounds a game! He's only had two games this season where he's scored less than ten points.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Capela is a good big, but not an all-star

GotGame15, Jontro and napalm06 like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Russ was running Embiid into the ground in 2nd half. Embiid's egs were shot while Clint was still springy even with heel injury.

Stephen_A likes this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

top tier centers? Is there such a thing anymore? He’s always played well against Gobert, Jokic and Drummond. Unless you’re talking about 4s that could be 5s but not quite and shoots a lot of 3s types like AD, Love or the aforementioned Green. Look fact is Clint is better this year in the rebounding (3rd) and blocks (10th). He’s developed a soft baby hook. He’s posting up more when given the chance and the man is one of the best finishers around the paint period. He is no doubt an all star in my mind behind Jokic. Problem is he’s always had Towns and Gobert in front of him in the public opinion and the weird all star voting system making Davis a center smh.

#48 Stephen_A, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Embiid looks so out of shape and gets by with skill. He was filmed eating Big Macs before games last year. Not sure if that was an anomaly or if he religiously has no diet restrictions. I agree with sir Charles and Shaq that embiid would be dominant if he posted more. The guy takes too many bad shots. If he were a Rocket imagine what people on clutch fans would do to him with the amount of hate they have for Russ. Yikes.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Number one not everyone can get alley oops and do it as efficiently as he can. He’s developed a soft hook and some post moves in the paint. Better footwork. Prob working with Dream. He’s getting better. When you watch the games look for those small nuances.

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

interesting. AD is a natural 4 tho but would be great with any team lol. Agreed. Clint is the perfect fit for this team. Man plays hard is better every year. If he could only develop a 10-12 ft shot he’d be lethal with the space he’s given in these zone defenses.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

But this thread is about being an all-star! Not all NBA. Clint Is getting close - and given they don't play defence in the all star game anyway, I don't see what Gobert can offer over him? Statistically they are almost identical (Capela has avg more ppg than Gobert ever has), and Clint is all over him 1 on 1.
    It is a long way from Hakeem and Eaton... More like Looney is the Eaton to Capela?

Hard to say he didn't have a WOW of a game back to back against 2 of the best bigs in the NBA (Embiid and Jokic). He's close to all star level if someone gets hurt. I'd have him over Gobert - that is subjective for sure, but there is a struck match in it

BaselineFade and Stephen_A like this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

One of the problems is the front court voting system. AD isn’t a center but he’s a front court player. And yeah too stacked in the West. Crazy and I may be the only person to say this but I don’t like any of those players except for AD. Jokic is limited offensively and defensively but skilled passer and can hit the 10-12 ft shot. Haven’t seen Kat this year though people say he’s better but inconsistent in years past and soft.

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

He's definitely top 5-8 center in this league

BaselineFade and Stephen_A like this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

i agree I think he’s better than Gobert but not Jokic or Kat since those guys are too skilled offensively. Clint is just a hard nosed defensive player who straight up finishes around the rim. He runs the court well plays good switch defense and has developed a soft baby hook. He’s better every year. Go clint! Go Rox!

BaselineFade and D-rock like this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

his role isn’t 20+ a night. I don’t understand why we put players into these roles or designations that we think is right as fans? That’s not his role. Capela does what he’s supposed to do in this system. He’s not a featured player in the system getting 1-1 post ups or iso play the way KAT or Jokic does. So stop the comparisons. Fact is he’s been very efficient in the high pick and roll and when he gets the opportunity he is posting up more and getting baby hooks in the paint. He’s unbelievable in the paint and had a knack for flying through traffic getting a layup or dunk 5-8 ft from the basket. The man is great for the system and if it weren’t for the weird voting system He might be the 3rd center in the all star game.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I appreciate this post man. Lots of people watch without understanding the game which is fine but don’t criticize when you don’t understand the nuances of the game. You definitely know what you’re talking about. Clint has developed a baby hook. He’s posting up in the paint when he gets the chance. He’s more aggressive down low. His foot work seems to be better as well. The man is getting better. He’s not Jokic he’s not Kat stop all the dumb comparisons. He’s great for this team and system.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One of you is missing the thread title and intensions.

If you dun want him to be compared to KAT or Jokic, then this thread is not right for y'all. It said legit 'Allstar'.

Allstars do score 20 a night, you get that rite?

It is not a weird voting system, people vote for Front court players and a mere Center isn't going in easily.

The Center position has been marginalized by the NBA not just the Allstar voting system.

They heavily vote for SFs and PFs.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

What does having opinions about you people making comparisons have anything to do with being able to voice them in a thread? Threads are open to everyone. I never said I agreed with Clint being an all star but he is a very good player which begs the question. Next point is I said the voting system complicated the situation since centers aren’t chosen as in the past. Instead front court players are which allows AD or a forward to be placed there meaning a spot is taken away from a true center making it harder for capela. Who says all stars need to score 20 a game? Is that your bench mark? Again begs the question and further thought and insight. It’s an interesting conversation of what it takes and who’s deserving much like the MVP debate.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is always next year, the gist is he won't make it this year barring 4 to 5 Allstars willingly dropping out.

You can discuss whatever you want but dismissing another poster's opinion that an Allstar should score 20 or more, that is not right IMO. He stayed on topic at least.

This year he won't be averaging 20 ppg, this is very likely.
    Look, he is one of the best role players but the ASG represents superstars and stars, it is what it is.

And yes, Allstar standards should be kept high.

#60 daywalker02, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    DeBeards likes this.