1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN+] NBA trade deadline: What we're hearing about all 30 teams play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fryjol7, Dec 17, 2019.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

These articles are over the top and unlikely. It's the slick moves that will Morey will go for. I've been pushing for Skal Labissiere and would like Morey to flip him for iHart + filler. Skal's minutes have dropped like a rock since Melo signed. Makes sense for both teams on several levels.

Another guy I've wanted for years is Marvin Williams. This likely requires uncle Tilman to pay up though, not sure he'll do it. Maybe you trade Capela and iHart and bring in both Skal and Marvin to save on the money side, trade works per ESPN.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Matching salary is likely to be a key storyline....

D-rock and Nook like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

You know i'm a (moderate) fan of Clint, but he always had that habit of inbounding/passing the ball poorly in those situations, and i hate it.

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

If you are good, he will play you. The problem is that we don't have many young players that are worthy of minutes on a team competing for a championship.

D-rock likes this.
  5. JackLordsHair66

Agree he had some monumental F'Ups last night but he also hustled and played LMA well in the 2nd half, and 15/15 5 asst and 3 blocks is a good nights work, if he would stop with the dumb fumble fingers turnovers and would shoot 70% FTs all would be peachy. I just don't see how we get anything that helps us out trading him, we are already one of the shortest teams in the NBA UGH !!

D-rock, fryjol7 and pippendagimp like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

As of several weeks ago he said he would be willing to add salary at the deadline. So they are operating under that assumption. If he does in fact back out of adding salary again and the Rockets magically end up below the tax line, then..... fans need to let him hear it.

Corrosion, D-rock, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not worthy of major minutes
    but
    worthy of some minutes to rest the vets

Rocket River

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. JackLordsHair66

How do we do that if we are from other states lol (ie don't attend games)

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's pretty sad because we didn't even have a grace period with Tilman. Like he *immedietely* established himself as a terrible owner by choosing to not pay for one of the team's best players ever and maybe their best GM ever. Him choosing to punt on *this* opportunity shows he will never prioritize winning. It's gonna be real sad once Harden and Morey are gone.

Corrosion, Der Rabbi and Matt78777 like this.
  10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

FIFY

11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I fully expect Rockets to use the one first round pick they have left to package with any combination of clemons, frazier, hartenstein, clark, green, nene, or sefelosha to get a rotation level player, and sign at least one guy on the Buyout market. They'll then cut all the remaining players on non-guaranteed salaries, bring in new guys on two-way contracts, and when the dust settles they'll be out of the tax. They'll say they seriously considered adding salary, one big trade fell through, but they like their team and think new players x and y are enough to make them contenders. Once again, I see Josh Hart as perfect guy to target given his low salary, 3-D versatility, and Pels are rebuilding right now (but also on the flip side those are all good reasons to keep him...). Rockets fans will gripe that he's not big enough to be a combo forward to back up Tucker which is a huge need for Rockets, but D'antoni will shut every one up when he plays lineups where Hart is the center.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Who do you have taking up Clint's production though?

That's the thing when you have no backups to your primary role players. PJ and Clint are virtually untradeable unless you bring in another guy that fits his role and skillset similarly.

If that's the case you may as well keep what you have and try for smaller contracted role players. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Kevin Knox (to a much lesser extent) come to mind as those who could fill those voids... of course at a decrease in talent level.

13. JackLordsHair66

Yeah his publicity tour following his book release kinda told me all I didn't want to know about this guy. He's a big mouth who reminds me a little of Jerry Jones, wants to put on a big show but frankly knows nothing about the NBA and running a legit winning franchise, he bought into a team that had a record winning season and then has sort of set about to sabotage on the D-lo any real chance they had of making a legit run at a title.

Maybe Morey will work some magic as his swan song here at the deadline (because I am almost certain he has one or both feet out the door at this point) I'm just highly skeptical he's got enough to work with now and I'm not buying Tilman will take on salary to field a contender, just don't see it happening

Corrosion likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Skal and Marvin can rebound and EG can fill the scoring. But don't get me wrong, I'll take Skal AND keep Clint as option 1.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dan Tony, play a 7 footer? He already plays a 7 footer in his 7 man rotation. SHEESH!

Picky, picky, picky.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

They can rebound but they can't protect the rim at all.

Defense and length is what we're lacking but you can't sacrifice what a massive role player contributes with a couple role players minor contributions here and there. Marvin would absolutely help on the wing and Skal can rebound but neither is the defensive anchor that Clint provides us. We can't take those guys back without supplanting that role with another equally serviceable player.

I'm with you on Skal and Clint... that combo would be nice to have, somehow.

D-rock likes this.
  17. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

And where do that take us on your vision? Do we win something?

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Potential Buyout Market (teams out of playoffs + "older" players + on expiring contracts)
    Vince Carter (ATL)
    Chandler Parsons (ATL)
    Wilson Chandler (BRK)
    Bismack Biyombo (CHA)
    Marvin Williams (CHA)
    Matthew Dellavedova (CLE)
    John Henson (CLE)
    Tristan Thompson (CLE)
    Brandon Knight (CLE)
    Tim Frazier (DET)
    Andre Iguodala (MEM) pretty much headed to 1 of LA teams IMHO
    Bruno Caboclo (MEM)
    Jeff Teague (MIN)
    E’Twaun Moore (NOP)
    Derrick Favors (NOP)
    Marcus Morris (NYK)
    Marco Belinelli (SAS)
    Ian Mahinimi (WSH)
    CJ Miles (WSH)

Bolded = favorites

D-rock likes this.
  19. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Marcus Morris makes a ton of sense to me. But he is not a 1st rounder and strongly believe, the only reason behind the mess of the Knicks roster is their expectation of picks coming their way.

At this point, Vince Carter is upgrade or downgrade over BenMac?

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I wish we could trade our cheap arse owner. NOW, that could start to make a difference.

Corrosion likes this.