1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden vs Doncic: An Interesting Observation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

A new thing I've taken to doing on the internet is calling the two of them White Harden and Black Doncic. It's an interesting social experiment, because impartial fans (and even Rockets fans I believe) should believe these nicknames to be compliments!

If you watch Harden this year and last year, you see a guy who's so mature in his game that he's almost figured the sport out. He's a threat from all levels, and he's simply unguardable at this point. Likewise, Doncic is amazing for his maturity level at his age, and he's clearly going to go down as an all time great based on his trajectory. But if you really break down his game, he's doing all the same stuff James is doing.

But watch out on twitter if you try to say that. Out of the woodwork are a bunch of fans, mostly casual ones, who get triggered if you say Doncic's game is similar to Harden's. "He shoots a bunch of foul shots...but he really gets fouled! He's not hunting for fouls," they'll say. Maybe for 2015 Harden sticking his forearms out, getting legit fouled, losing the ball out of bounds, and complaining when the refs miss the contact, those critics would be correct. Harden's getting fouled, trying to get fouled, and taking advantage of the rules of the game, like many other superstars in history before him. The last two years, however, I've seen James almost completely remove that aspect of his game. Now he realizes that the foul calls will be iffy, and they'll dry up even more in the playoffs, so he does things that are more reliable. His fouls this year have been on shots that have almost gone in, just about every time. You rarely see cheapies anymore.

For the snowflake fans that want to put Doncic on a pedestal untarnished by the style of play of Harden's--on whom Doncic has admitted in public he bases his game!--I am left to think one of two things. One, they are brainless lemmings that watch zero games and only regurgitate what the brainless media forcefeed them. Or two, there is actually a racial component to this all.

So if you wanna be like me, keep propagating that nickname. White Harden. Black Doncic. They're both compliments!!!

#1 Spacemoth, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    D-rock, slothy420, arubato and 4 others like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sturdy. the word you're looking for is sturdy

3. HP3

HP3 Member

I dont want to sully Harden's name by comparing him to a lesser player.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Doncic recently said he has modeled his game to that of one James Harden.

Media, fans, league frown on Hardens game, almost to the point they despise Harden.

Media, fans, league can’t say enough great words and accolades pushed on Doncics game.

Simply Amazing

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

BamBam, dmoneybangbang, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Should have said Harden is the white Doncic and Doncic is the black Harden.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They are similar, but it’s worthwhile considering what’s different about them (and there are differences) to really understand what it is that people don’t like about Harden. And “one player is white and the other is black” isn’t it.

Part of it is the baggage that comes from disappointments accumulated over a 10 year career — Doncic doesn’t have that going against him (yet).

But there are also stylistic differences we shouldn’t overlook if we’re being honest with ourselves.

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's especially funny because Doncic specifically said he watched tape of Harden to learn how to get fouled. He admires Harden's abilities to get to the line and studies him so that he can get to the line the way Harden does. And if you watch Doncic, you will see him using Harden's arm hook, sweeping through defenders arms, embracing contact, all that. And yet, all his fans will insist that all his fouls are "real fouls" and that he doesn't resort to Harden's tricks. He literally admitted that he studies Harden's tricks! He said it himself. It's undeniable.

#8 harold bingo, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Richie_Rich, Deuce, Tfor3 and 4 others like this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

big hairy dick and small penis.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

What are these stylistic differences?

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

A lot of the hate for Harden is driven by people like that obese mofo Windhorst who, on his podcast and other forms of media, fakes sympathy when he says that “Harden is not liked by players...but I like him...but Giannis to me is a purer player...but harden is great, don’t get me wrong...but I heard he’s bad for the game...but he’s great!”

Just unbelievable

12. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Seems to me like older players and current players can’t stomach being dominated by Harden and can’t freely admit how good he is

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I was watching Mavs against Lakers or Clippers and the commentary crew were talking about how Doncic spent the entire
    summer modeling his game to that of Harden.

Yes, it’s public knowledge.

I won’t play the race card. I’m against the race card.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I wish they could both be highly regarded as Magic vs Bird

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

PUBLIC
    KNOWLEDGE

Why would anyone NOT?
    Every one kid in the gym now is trying to do the step back.
    They trying to work on hand strength and swing the ball about

Make no mistake. . . . . the biggest thing about Harden is he is not SUPPOSE TO BE GOOD
    He is not the tallest . . .he not the fastest. . . he does not have those "natural gifts" like a LeBron/MJ/Kobe/etc
    yet
    HE IS!! . . . Just like Curry . . . Curry became the prototype of every kid under 6'2 that weighed 128 lbs
    Harden is for the slower kids that maybe a slight bit taller and maybe a bit stronger
    KG/Duncans change the game for the tall guys . . .. not the little guy's game is evolving

Rocket River

topfive and Embrace the clutch like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the media hated bird

18. Adam Silver

Adam Silver Member

Meh. Neither of them are that good. #CarmeloAnthony #WesternConferencePlayerOfTheWeek

HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Harden is like a billionaires Doncic

topfive, hakeem94 and clutchdabear like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Similarity: They are both fat.
    Difference: One has a big beard. The other does not.