1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

Given that Nolan Ryan has now left multiple organizations on bad terms, maybe the problem is him and not everyone else?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...keup-Jim-Crane-s-son-moves-in-as-14818143.php

Putting in place an early plan for his succession, Astros owner Jim Crane appointed his son, Jared, to help oversee the franchise’s business operations in place of longtime team president Reid Ryan.

“We felt at this time it was time for him to step in,” Crane, 65, said Thursday. “I’m past retirement age, and he needs to learn the business if the family is going to retain the team.”

Jared Crane, 36, will “assist Jim and his executive team in a broad variety of functions related to the operations of the Astros business,” the team said in a statement. Jim Crane said the plan to bring Jared into the franchise was brewing for “about a year.” Jim Crane said he told Ryan “months ago” he was considering bringing his son aboard.

“I’m not a spring chicken,” Crane said. “I’ve been working hard for a long time, and in all of my stuff I’m building a succession plan. Baseball requires a plan in place for each team, so we’re doing that and planning for the family. It has nothing to do with Reid.”

Ryan and Jim Crane met on Monday to finalize the plan. All three men — Jim, Jared and Ryan — will attend the owner’s meetings in Arlington at the end of the month

[...]

“I can’t speak for Nolan,” Crane said Thursday. “I tried to call him and told him today and told him you’ll always be welcome at the stadium, and if he chooses not to continue, that’s his decision. We weren’t going to address that until we got closer to February, and I guess he’s done that.”

[...]

Jim Crane said Ryan will continue to aid in alumni relations, do public speaking and “some of the things with the Greater Houston Partnership.”

“He just won’t be on the point,” Crane said. “The executive team will report to me, and Reid and I will continue to work together.”

Crane said the change in Ryan’s role was not related to the team’s awakward handling of the Brandon Taubman outburst at a group of female reporters at the end of the American League Championship Series. Taubman, the team’s assistant general manager, was eventually fired and the team apologized for a series of missteps and statements that originally questioned the first story on the outburst.

“Absolutely nothing to do with that,” Crane said.

[...]

“He’ll come in and go to meetings,” Jim Crane said of his son. “He isn’t going to be running the thing. He’ll be learning and observing, and I’ll be showing him how things work as we go along.

“He’ll participate in things and he’ll have an office close to me, so we will be able to work together and I’ll bring him in so we will be able to work together and eventually assign some things to him.”

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Interesting. I hate seeing them go, but Crane has been an absolute great owner and even surprised me as I wasn't too thrilled when it was announced he was the buyer. He's now the most beloved owner in Houston and it's his team. If this succession plan is what he wants to keep it in the FAM I'm not hating. He ain't no Fertitta putting stupid ass murals of him and his family everywhere like the one dumbass owner in HTown. His ego is in check and he stays out of the public eye and let's Lunhow and the players get the praise. Big fan.

Smacktle, itzIce, gatsby and 3 others like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This whole thing stinks. Reid Ryan was essential to turning around this thing. He should be pissed.

htwnbandit and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Turning it around in what way? Reid had nothing to do with baseball operations. He was totally on the business side dealing with sponsors/advertisers.

Jared is a good dude. If he's going to be the man in charge down the road I want him in the meetings now.

itzIce, marks0223, gatsby and 6 others like this.
  7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'll still eat his sausage.

8. CometsWin

Have you ever heard Reid speak? He's an incredible ambassador for Astros baseball. He's been instrumental in giving the Astros credibility with the fan base even before they won the championship. Now they're going to roll out the owner's kid to replace him? Awful.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Jared was already President of the Astros Foundation and had run and sold his own business. Reid is still with the team. Jared isn't being groomed to replace Reid. He's being groomed to replace his dad. If Reid ever thought they were going to make him CEO he's nuts. You ever been around Reid during games? I'll just leave it at that.

10. CometsWin

He is replacing Reid right now.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  11. raj87

raj87 Member

Maybe Nolan is only around to hook up Reid with lucrative employment opportunities.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its a battle royale free for all between 2 guys who have never had a job their fathers didn't get for them....cry me a river.

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

He should be the succession plan.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He’s essentially PR... and in charge of some of the revenue producing fan amenities at MMP. Looks like that is still going to be his role if he wants it. But he was not “instrumental” to the Astros success on the field. Fans pack the ballpark because its a damn good team.

He was not going to take over as CEO. It’s Crane’s team... he gets to choose his own successor.

15. CometsWin

I said he was instrumental in giving the franchise credibility with the fan base off the field. Maybe you've forgotten what a joke the franchise had become.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

17. Buck Turgidson

Nolan Ryan is very good at marketing Nolan Ryan.

Smacktle, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Winning turned them into what they are now. Not better promotions, better customer service or getting rid of tal’s hill.

Smacktle and LonghornFan like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Altuve, Springer and other likeable fun players helped bridge the '15-now gap.

Smacktle likes this.
  20. astros123

astros123 Member

Lol fans have such a short term memory it always makes me laugh. Crane was the same owner who poneyed up 25 million to bring Zack this season just for an opportunity for us fans to cherish a championship run. He can run his business however the **** he wants. Cry me a river. As long as Luhnow is here im a happy camper. Yes, im well aware of Reid important to the organization but its his business and can run it however the fk he wants as long as the end product on the field isnt impacted. Who else wouldn't have their son take over a billion dollar empire. **** id be right there with you. Blood >>>>>>

Smacktle, texans1095, itzIce and 2 others like this.