1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exclusive: Houston Rockets star James Harden drops agent, now represented by his mother

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston...uston-rockets-starjames-harden-drops.amp.html

Exclusive: Houston Rockets star James Harden drops agent, now represented by his mother
    [​IMG]
    James Harden of the Houston Rockets.
    WIKIMEDIA COMMONS / DERRAL CHEN

Get FREE Newsletters and Alerts
    Morning Edition, Afternoon Edition, Breaking News.
    Jack Witthaus , ReporterApr 26, 2018, 2:05pm CDT

Houston Rockets superstar James Harden, one of the top-10 biggest brands in the NBA, has dropped his agent and his mother is now representing him.

Monja Willis, Harden's mother, confirmed she is representing Harden in a call with the Houston Business Journal. Harden was previously represented by Landmark Sports Agency's Diana Day after Harden's previous agent, Rob Pelinka, became the Los Angeles Lakers' general manager in March 2017. Pelinka had represented NBA superstars such as Kobe Bryant.

Willis declined to comment beyond that she was representing Harden. It's unclear when Willis began representing her son.

Landmark Sports could not immediately be reached for comment. The agency has about 13 clients and roughly a half billion dollars worth of contracts under management, according to Forbes.

Harden is one of the world's highest-paid celebrities, bringing in around $46.6 million in 2017, according to Forbes. That makes him the 45th highest-paid celebrity on Earth.

Harden was the cover athlete for EA Sports’ “NBA Live 18,” his second appearance on a video game cover after joining Stephen Curry and Anthony Davison 2K Sports’ “NBA 2K16." Harden and fellow Rockets star Chris Paul were ranked No. 5 and No. 6 as the NBA's most marketable players, according to national survey conducted by Sports Business Daily. Experts agree Harden's beard makes him one of the most recognizable faces in all of sports.

The Rockets are valued at $2.2 billion, according to Forbes. Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta closed Oct. 5 on a deal to acquire the Rockets for that amount.

s3ts likes this.
  2. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

No complaints, pretty smart tho

Mazulis and amaru like this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know the details, but unless his mother has experience in this area, history says this is probably a bad move.

fattz, B-Bob, gatsby and 36 others like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

MAMA said I should shave my beard.

rgw20014life and lionaire like this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I mean he’s locked into 6 more max years. He’s locked into a huge shoe deal and multiple other endorsements.

I imagine at this point companies seek him out and not the other way around.

How bad could it really be? I’m sure she will freelance a lawyer for contracts.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe this is just temporary until the end of the playoffs, but he needed to fire Landmark/Diana Day right away

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i guess he's gotten big enough now that he doesn't need someone to go get him offers anymore, he just needs someone to sift thru what lands up at his door everyday and negotiate the terms

BigMaloe and Stormy1234 like this.
  8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Isn't one of the main reasons for getting a job and making money is so that you can stop having your parents make decisions for you? freedom/independence and what not.

I can;t imagine wanting my family (especially parents) anywhere near my work.

9. macan

macan Member

Harden is a grown arse man, he needs to move out of his mother's basement asap

Remlap and Jugdish like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

at this stage of his career, he doesnt really need one. hes pretty well set.

CCity Zero, RyanB, DaonlyLA and 4 others like this.
  11. ReignSupreme

ReignSupreme Member

Yea Harden's brand should be bigger. Maybe his mom worked state farm into give him a lucrative deal?

Stormy1234 likes this.
  12. askball

askball Member

Well I hope for James' sake his mom is taking a lower cut than Landmark!

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Need what? A MAMA?

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

oops. should of said agent in there :eek:

RiceRockets and Stormy1234 like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe his mom is the only one with the vision to acquire that chain of strip clubs he's been dreaming of

17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I disagree. He is Harden, he gets what he wants. It's like saying LeBron needs an agent. There are several people in this league that won't need experienced agents and Harden is one of them. Harden is going to get super max wherever on the planet he wants, what exactly does an agent do at this point?

amaru and Stormy1234 like this.
  18. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

I hope his mom helps him to stay in Houston.

RyanB, DonKnock and Stormy1234 like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

NBA agents don't really have much to do contract wise with clear max players like Harden or LeBron, so that part isn't really an issue.

I don't know anything about Harden's mother, but even if Harden is merely sifting though offers and not seeking them, you still need people that know what they are doing looking these things over.

RyanB likes this.
  20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member