1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Bev is dead to me

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tehG l i d e, Jan 16, 2018.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

because we need scoring from the 2nd unit.

but seriously?

you'll take last year's pbev over last year's IT (9th in winshares, 16th in bpm, 15th in vorp)

IT had much to do with celtics record while pbev had little to do with the rockets record

if we had horford instead of ryno, you'll still take bev over it?

IT, Harden, Ariza, Horford, Capela

vs

Pbev, Harden, Ariza, Horford, Capela

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

More like we needed defense in the first unit. We had both EGo and Lou coming off the bench for the second half of the season, neither of them took the starting spot from Bev. How much more bench offense do you really need? You should be able to admit that Bev was a better fit as a starter than either of them.

You underestimate how much of a liability IT is on defense. Him being gone has allowed the Celtics to go from 13th in defense to 1st this year, even with the loss of Bradley and Crowder. IT has had a highly negative DBPM every year of his career. It’s been a serious problem on every team he’s been on. The Celtics are better this year without him, even when Kyrie is injured and doesn’t play. He took 19 shots a game last season, that simply isn’t happening next to Harden. I don’t care about his win shares, he was on a team that was tailored to hide his deficiencies and they still weren’t that good. He had more win shares than Chris Paul. Doesn’t mean jack.

And what’s with the Horford hypotheticals? Do you need to make up rosters to make IT look like a good fit next to Harden? We're talking about last year's team, not made up ones. Might as well replace Capela with Mutombo and Ariza with Bruce Bowen to make IT look super special. Move those goal posts some more.

#222 MrButtocks, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    YOLO likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

cp3 was bought in here so that there will always be a playmaker on the court

if Pbev was so good at defense and Ego was so bad explain this?

Houston without PBev 9-6
    And if IT was so bad in defense that his offense didn't offset it explain this?

Celts without IT 2-4

gordon harden starting without a playmaker coming off the bench were already winning 60% of their games

if they had IT running the 2nd unit we could have easily gone over our 55 wins

May 2015: James Harden wants the Rockets to get a PG/SG?: Yeah definitely, that’s one of the conversations that me and Daryl (Morey) are going to have

Harden was alluding to Pbev not being any kind of help at all especially in the playoffs and needing backcourt help. Rockets were so desperate they got TyLawson. Yeah that's how bad they wanted to upgrade Beverly since 2015.

Pbev playoffs 11.1 pts 3 assists
    IT playoffs 23.3 pts 6.7 assists

someone producing 40 pts by himself and thru assists is what Harden team needed. Another person who can create gravity. Not one who'll just stand in the corner.

what would MDA/Morey/Harden have done?

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Bev is a SG in a PG body. If he was a talented PG, he wouldn't have been playing i Russia in the first place.

He's just a 3&D guard and that's what he did. It's not his job to worry about the fact that the team had no other play maker. I find it funny that people often expect players to fill roles that they can't fill and they hate on them. You can hate on Chuck Hayes for being too short and offensively too limited to play center, you are just silly. It was not his job to fix the team's problem of not having a legit center.

I don't think anyone regret trading Bev for CP3. That doesn't mean people should not feel sad to see one of their favorite players go.

YOLO likes this.
  5. smp

smp Member

I don't get too attached to players. They are game pieces that come and go. Player loyalty to a team/city is rare and that's how I feel about them. I hated CP3 when he was a Clipper and I love him as a Rocket. Same for Barkley, Pippen, Drexler, Tmac, Jason Terry, etc. I couldnt stand any of those guys when they weren't Rockets. Now that Bev is a Clipper, I find him to be extremely annoying. He's a scrub in a suit on the bench talking crap to HOF caliber allstars.

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What was Beverley listed as on the roster 13-16

What position is MDA given credit for switching Harden to.

I find it funny you arguing a point not arguable but factual.

We all can see that Harden wasn't the pg till last season verified by statistics

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

youre really trying to say harden hasn't been the real pg for hou after all these years. youve got to be kidding

youre stuck in the wrong era of basketball then if youre taking position labels literally

Easy likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Beverley and Lin were the point guards

They were liabilities in 13-14. The offense would have been better like it is now if Harden didn't have to force Lin to give him the rock or bail Beverley out when he dribbled to a corner.

Why has Harden upped his assists per game by 4?

I'm really not criticizing Beverley. I like him. It appreciate him getting better every season. I do however think he is overrated here.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you dribble up the ball to the half court line a couple times, only to give it to harden, that does not make you the point guard.

upping his assist numbers has little to do with him always being houstons pg.

its not even about criticizing beverley or not. it just sounds like you are stuck in the wrong era as mentioned previously

10. JaceMan da SpaceMan

If pat ded 4 u does u go for him funeral? Lol

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And he couldn't even dribble it to half court against pressure.

That's why I said he was a liability. Him and Lin were pathetic against Portland in 14 and having to bring ball up against Golden State wore on Harden

Edit:. I'm not stuck in an era.

Beverley is a backup. Harden carrying him in offense wore Harden out.

He can't dribble well enough to take pg pressure off Harden or get his shot on his own to take sg pressure off Harden

It's cute to say I'm stuck but you're missing the point. Beverley really isn't good on offense enough to start at either spot

#231 pgabriel, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

aka harden has always been the rockets pg

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro

Beverley isn't a starter is the point. Point, shooting, or combo

God bless him for effort and hard work

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i couldn't careless what you label him. what he was was a good fit/compliment next to harden who has always been hou's pg

15. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Any Rockets fan talking down on Patrick Beverly (facts or not) is a b****

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Harden's position doesn't matter. Beverley isn't a starter because he isn't good enough.

Harden had to cover for is shortcomings and it wore on him

We can play this stupid battle of attrition where you're arguing a point I don't give a damn about if you want.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

theres not even an argument here. youre just a bit all over the place. its basically you and your beverley agenda and you not understanding who the rockets pg has always been which is actually pretty puzzling

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro

Its not about pg or should. It's about starting and backup

Beverley is a backup guard regardless. Harden had to cover for him because he wasn't really a starter.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

well this is interesting...

what was he when he was healthy and able to play.....a starter

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@YOLO

I don't mind stupid battle of attrition arguments but I'm addressing your point that Harden as really the starter so please stop repeating it