1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Equifax hack - SSN, other data of 143 millions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amiga, Sep 7, 2017.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If someone freezes their credit, does that meant he credit cards you already have in your name can still be used? Or does it stop everything? That's not a bad idea to freeze things until I need to open a new line of credit, which isn't often.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It looks like that site does nothing more than to scare people into signing up for the free monitor service, which in turns give them more information to sell and to get them to wiave their right to sue.

Sajan, B-Bob and CCity Zero like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Existing loans and cards are just fine. Nothing NEW until you unfreeze.

I'm already on a 7-yr fraud alert, but we are now freezing Mrs. B-Bob's too.

If y'all have kids, think about that too.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I had no idea you could apply to change your SSN. I thought it was set for life. But, that seems like a drastic measure with possible side effects.

Is Equifax waiving their freeze fee? The other two credit bureaus charged me ten bucks each. But, Equifax didn't. I would hope those bastards are waiving their freeze fee after what they are putting the country through (half impacted - all worried). I could imagine a scenario where they are making money off of this.

In fact, I think it is a sham for any of the credit bureaus to charge us to freeze given this hack. I want reimbursement.

#44 Surfguy, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

They'll be bankrupt after the class action lawsuit anyways.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What are the odds that the other two credit rating agencies have also been hacked?

7. Surfguy

So, basically everyone has to treat it like they were hacked. Equifax is only sending out notices to people who had CC#s or personal dispute details hacked (which was more limited in scope). Basically, they can't reliably tell you if you've been hacked...is my understanding. Or, at least, not yet. But, I'm still unclear as I'm reading different things on this.

Has anyone signed up for their free credit monitoring service (for a year free) yet? Has it opened up yet or is it still pending? I understand they changed the terms about not being able to sue if you sign up: "enrolling in the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection products that we are offering as part of this cybersecurity incident does not prohibit consumers from taking legal action."

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I want to freeze my credit as well but I want to wait a few days to see whether enough pressure is applied on Equifax to pay for those applying for the freeze. It is their colossal mistake, they should pay the fees, at the minimal.

9. Surfguy

Equifax didn't charge me today when I did it online. I got my auto-generated PIN and it said my credit was frozen. The other two credit bureaus tried to further identify you by asking you some questions about loans, mortgage, or whatever. Equifax didn't. It's weird because I think I failed the TransUnion additional questions it was asking (or it had a problem identifying me as me) as part of the freeze process. When that failed, I called their automated phone line and froze it without those questions. And, I had to punch in my credit card info.

One Senator was talking about passing a bill or something to get Equifax to reimburse the charges for the other two credit bureau freezes. I'm out $20 for something that is not my fault. Then, I'm out more when I want to unfreeze if I need to. Then, re-freeze.

This is bullsh_t to the nth degree. I f_cking hate this.

Sajan, Hakeemtheking and No Worries like this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had life lock back in 2005 and they would call me if anyone tried to access my credit. I wish they still offered this.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I have lifelock too. The quality of their protection has really gone down in a few years. Compare what one gets in terms of protection from the basic to the most expensive plan.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

I have to pay to freeze my credit? The fk.
    I guess I will just do a fraud-alert for now. It's good for 90 days and you can do it with just one of the bureaus and they will share with the other 2.

I had someone open 4 accounts in Nov (i posted a thread about it) and it was a major PITA to get it fixed. I had to do a police report.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Seriously.. . .this should put them out of business

Rocket River

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

What a pos company this is. Can't login, customer service lines been busy all day. I hope they go bankrupt...and then **** on themselves in public.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Surfguy, thanks for the info.

I just placed a credit freeze. Free on Equifax. Will wait a bit for the other two before taking action.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

big companies like equifax don't go bankrupt the same way you and i do. When they go bankrupt everyone is still rich as hell. think solyndra.

justtxyank, Sajan and Space Ghost like this.
  17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

19. 713

713 Member

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew