1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela' expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jul 24, 2017.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why do you say less responsibility on defense? shouldnt it be just as much? not like melo is any better than ryno on defense.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hmmm... employing a double negative to confuse everyone as to what you actually meant.

Holic gonna holic.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

CP3 and Tucker

4. craguin

craguin Member

"I.D.I.O.T." ? I could imagine some of the song requests in that one...

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Just keep improving like he has since he forced himself on the team and no injuries it will be a good season for him.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

definitely. I'll start that thread myself if need be when training camp starts

craguin likes this.
  7. OTMax

OTMax Member

I disagree and please stop acting like what you say is truth. With the increased pressure on the perimeter, there will be less drives in the paint an with better defenders in general means more help so I highly doubt Capela will have a harder job this year. That being said, of course he needs to get better so that's why I'm psyched about his improvement.

I'm staying positive, unlike you and who said me or anybody else is making excuses? He is still very young, only his 3rd year and full-time starter after first getting sporadic minutes behind Dwight. Everybody raves about Capela: from TV analysts to actual players. Since we're in win now mode of course we cannot wait on him to get better for too long, but I'd give him this year to prove himself and I think he will come through!

Look at his play-off performance against the likes of Adams & Pau: increased his rebounding, averaged 2.5 blocks and scored over 10 points a game! His defensive presence against OKC in particular got us past them, not just magical shooting. We barely won that series with 2 very close games that could've gone either way. Against Spurs he averaged 13 ,10.5 & 2.5 so even a double-double. Capela stepped up as well as others of course. That's what should keep everyone positive.

#27 OTMax, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    nemac and crispy123 like this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I am sorry but your boy Dekker was absolute crap defensively. Almost always lost, no positional awareness. Just a dumb player. Go rewatch the games.

topfive likes this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

True. There's a reason Dekker got screamed at more than any other player on the roster.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. basketballholic

Dekker is not my boy. My point wasn't about him individually but rather the group of players whose minutes Tucker and Luc will be replacing this season. Get with the program.

12. basketballholic

And we gave up a ton of points in the paint. Enough said.

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

You must be crazy if you think going from Dekker & Harrell to Tucker & Mbah is nothing short of a huge improvement on defense!

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Whatever works for you ;)

15. basketballholic

Didn't say that. Dekker and Harell only played 12.5% of our minutes though. So if you put in Lou and Brewer in the equation like I originally did you can be more realistic about the difference. Tucker and LMM will likely be replacing those minutes. And Brewer wasn't chopped liver defensively. And Dekker wasn't bad defensively either. LOL. Just because Harden yelled at Dekker because Dekker didn't cover Harden's man on the blow by doesn't make him a poor defender.

In the bigger picture, when you look at the bigs who are in the top ten in the categories I mentioned, you see a consistent dominance of the defensive paint and glass that just wasn't there with CC last year. For crying out loud he couldn't even play two quarters of the game and when he wasn't in the game there was no discernable slippage of our interior defense. In fact.....our interior defense was actually better when he sat.

You must be crazy if you don't think Capela needs to make make major improvement defensively for us to justify paying him double digits per year going forward and be able to win a championship in the future with him as the main defensive cog on the interior.

16. basketballholic

Giving up the most points around the rim and the greatest opponent efficiency at the rim definitely does not work for me. o_O

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Play him 30+ mpg. Feed his ass with lob after lob. Blow up trade value. Profit!

18. basketballholic

Normally I'd agree with this. But there's only so many Denvers/Orlandos in the Association that can be fooled that way today.

Most teams know the true value of a PnR big is how well they defend.

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

They will replace those 2, Brew has been long gone and was not that great. Lou doesn't help your argument but okay.

He's stronger now, still a youngster and what do you expect? Nene is not some chump...

You make him out like he was such a negative on the floor, I'm simply optimistic. Big difference! I knew you would bring up his next contract, which is not even what we're discussing.

20. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I'm expecting 18/8/1.5 on 70% fg with good D.

He's going to be the all day lob boy, no reason to not expect those numbers.