1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Romo retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

me·di·o·cre
    ˌmēdēˈōkər/

adjective
    1. of only moderate quality; not very good.
      "a mediocre actor"
      synonyms: ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish; More

82-78 record the last 10 years

41-39 the last 5 years

9-7 each of the last 3 years.

Nope, the Texans have been and are a mediocre franchise.

They still don't have any semblance of a quarterback after years of knowing they need one, and are likely to go 9-7 again.... because that is the Texans way.

They will still trot out winning the most mediocre Division in football (at 9-7) the last two seasons as some sort of accomplishment, but it really isn't. Being mediocre and not bad isn't something to be proud of.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it's good that you found the definition, now if only you can apply it to the situation and realize it isn't an accurate descriptor. I know some "Texans fans" live to run down any accomplishment by the team, but it's pretty stupid.

3. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO What accomplishments?

I am sure you wear your 2015 & 2016 AFC Champions 9-7 t-shirts with pride........ someone has to.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for proving my point. I think we're done here.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Actually, it was Wade Wilson, the QB coach, who should be given the credit for their taking Dak. It was he who scouted him extensively, recognized that Dak's skill set was a fit for the Cows offense and pushed for him in the draft room. That's not luck - that's known as scouting and it's something I'd like to see the Texans try doing instead of waiting and hoping for another team to bail them out of their stupidity. Folks in Houston don't know it but there has been a marked shift in the Cows' decision making process with Stephen & Jerry Jr. surplanting Jerry Sr.. Their recent drafts illustrate this change which started with the emphasis on rebuilding the OL to emphasize the running game and the not taking of Johnny Football (for whom Jerry had an erectile condition). Swinging for the fences is a poor substitute for a cohesive approach to talent evaluation and development and that's where teams like the Texans always come up short.

7. HillBoy

Not true - the NY Knicks are the epitome of mediocrity.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He was their fifth selection that year and they had him rated 3rd or 4th on their QB draft board, behind Lynch and Cook.

Wilson may have liked him - but it was luck, nonetheless.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. HillBoy

No, not luck. As has been reported up here in Dallas, while the Cows did have Dak rated 3rd or 4th on their board, it was Wilson who forcefully made the case for taking him when he was there in round 4 and Garrett and the Jones' went with his recommendation. The rest, as they say, is history.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Furthermore, as far as we know it was a one year fluke of a season where the stellar O line and run game made a young QB look better than he is...wouldn't be the first time. I mean, they didn't make it any further in the playoffs than the "mediocre" Texans did and the didn't even manage to win one playoff game.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL. If Connor Cook was available for them in the 2nd, Dak wouldn't be in Dallas. Yes. They are lucky that the Raiders picked up Cook.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Would it be trolling to do the "Astros make me appreciate the Texans" thread right now?

Geez Greggerson!!!

J.R. likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

We need to coach better. We need to execute better. We need to play better. It starts with me. I need to be better but we all have to better. Luke needs to be better. Our hitters need to be better.

:p

Nimo likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Someone has been googling post game speeches.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nope. These are embedded in my head. ;)

Said Kevin McHale after the 7-3 loss: Just didn't have it tonight. I thought the Royals outplayed us down the stretch. Royals couldn't miss, we couldn't make, there's your ballgame. Told the guys in the dugout we just needed to swing harder & throw harder.

Said Gary Kubiak: Well I thought we fought hard. We did a lot of good things tonight but obviously not enough. Our guys won't hang their heads though. We'll get back out there tomorrow, keep on battlin', keep on fightin'. As for Luke, he's a dang good kid & I know he'll bounce back next time he's out there. Have we lost faith in him? No, I still believe in him.

;)

Nimo likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

we can't be the almost team. these kids can play.

J.R. likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

82-80 is not the bar John.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

haha if obrien ends up getting fired, i think all these quotes and sound bytes from him would have been all worth it.

ITS DOESNT MATTER BRIAN! AFC SOUTH CHAMPS TWO YEARS IN A ROW

Nimo likes this.
  19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What have the Texans truly accomplished? If we were in ANY other division in football, we'd be a 2nd or 3rd place team...with a record not good enough to make the wild card.

Last 3 years:
    We were 4-6 outside of our division in 2016.
    We were 4-6 outside of our division in 2015.
    We were 5-5 outside of our division in 2014.

Do you really see winning the AFC South as an "accomplishment"? The Texans are absolutely a mediocre franchise. Just because you want to think that making the playoffs is an accomplishment, doesn't really mean much when there are at least 3-4 other teams that are more deserving of a playoff spot. The only reason we reach 9 wins every year is because we have 6 cupcake games on the schedule within our division. Imagine if we played in any other division in the AFC where it would be an accomplishment to go 3-3 within the divison...we'd be siting at 7-8 wins every year.

I'll happily take every AFC South title I can take, but the fact of the matter is that until we can prove to consistently beat teams outside of our division (or at least, have a winning record outside our division), then we are nothing more than mediocre.

Side note: The Texans had the worst point differential among all playoff teams in 2016 and the 2nd lowest in 2015 (Redskins sucked just a little bit more in point differential). And if you really want to think that 2016 was a well accomplished season, keep in mind that only 6 teams in the entire NFL had a worse point differential than us...not sure how you could actually think the Texans are anything more than mediocre, despite the AFC South banners they get to put up every season. And as it looks like at this moment, 2017 wont be any different. Let's cross our fingers for those 9 wins...

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yes; luck... they tried to deal picks to draft Lynch *and* Cook before settling for Lynch with their *second* 4th round pick. Wilson may have stumped hard for him - but Prescott was an afterthought.