1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets signing Troy Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Mar 9, 2017.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

IU alum here. I watched every one of his college games (and a few HS films). Take my opinion for what it's worth:

First, ignore anyone who blanket-ly dismisses Williams. Most people who do this simply haven't seen him play. He's not going to be a star in this league (few are), but he can be a good role player for a long time. He actually reminds me of a young Ariza.

Troy has all the physical and mental tools you want. His game is hustle. Very active, physical wing. He's extremely athletic and good at getting to the hoop. His effort/motor has never been a problem. He's kind of like a big Bev, though I say that loosely. They both have that bulldog mentality. Troy isn't the longest player, but his increased activity makes him play a bit longer. He's just a very energetic, extremely athletic wing. He could give PGs/SGs hell on defense, and play decent defense up to a SF. That said, Troy will not play big minutes for us any time soon, and we are in trouble if he does. He needs to become more consistent, as all young players do.

But he is essentially filling Morey's "project" role, formerly occupied by KJ, which I am 1000% fine with. Morey is good at finding this type of player. Let's see if he can develop an NBA 3-pointer (just like Ariza did...give these KIDS time). And, let's not forget that Troy was an above average college 3-pt shooter. It's not like his shot is broke. Troy just needs to get comfortable with the extra distance.

I honestly think Troy has a much better chance at having a future with HOU than Wiltjer, Payton, Taylor, and the rest of our young prospects not named Dekker and Onuaku. He has all of the tools, ability, and attitude to become a formidable player for years to come. I can't wait until HOU faithful gets to watch him play. Our fans love hustle. Troy will not disappoint there.

#181 awc713, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

I agree with your Casspi assessment. He is the most likely guy for MDA to trust.

What Williams has in his favor is at least one other NBA playoff team that thought he was worth giving starters minutes to for a stretch. That, plus us signing him and his performance with RGV (albeit with a tiny sample size), have me somewhat positive on his development.

I don't think MDA is looking to go through these playoffs with an 8 man rotation. That would be brutal on Harden and Ariza. We need another wing to give us 15 minutes or so.

3. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Carlos boozer wants to come back nba.

4. ballgame

ballgame Member

You may get to see him sooner than you think! Dekker just went out tightness in his back.

5. micah1j

micah1j Member

With Dekker possibly missing tomorrow in Denver they should call up Williams.

25 points, 8 rebs, 3 ast on 7-15 shooting. 3-8 3 pts tonight. It will be back to back to back for him but I doubt he cares.

Balldon'tlie likes this.
  6. Lightsnowaction

Time to suit up for Denver.

7. shadowsb23

shadowsb23 Member

So is he looking like a lock for the rockets future?

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dekker is Ryan's back up. Troy would be Ariza's back up. Not sure if Troy is a threat as stretch 4, maybe small ball 4. Casspi may be able to do both, back up 3 and 4.

9. j@amc

j@amc Member

Williams logged 35 minutes on a back-to-back last night. 3 TOs, 8 Boards, and 3-8 on 3-pointers (but 3-5 from the right wing). Also, 8-10 at the line. . . He's figured out the Rockets shooting style as you can see from his shot chart from 3-17-17.

Highlights from 3-17-17 below: Dunk of the night is at the 51-second mark. This time Williams is in traffic. Wow!

I think Williams plays one or maybe two more games for the Vipers. He's got to show he can handle the minutes (for some reason, when he was with D-League Iowa, he was playing limited minutes). Morey should cut all this film together and show MDA what he's got to work with. Williams is a guy that can be slotted into Brewer's old minutes (which have gone to Decker and Gordon rather inconsistently and imperfectly). Then, the other change is shaving a couple of minutes from Beverly and Harden.

What a great find for this system. Morey is really a fantastic talent scout.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Troy played good minutes for MEM, but he needs to be a much more consistent defender before he sniffs *meaningful* PT with us. Maybe getting PT vs. a sub-500 team when we have a bunch of injuries isn't the worst idea, but I'd rather only see Troy in mop up minutes at this point. And I say that as an avid IU supporter. But outside of that, I'd rather Troy get more seasoning and re-visit him next season.

I think he could provide some of the (albiet, more controlled and better shooting) reckless abandon that Brewer provided. Always diving after loose balls, etc. I really wanted us to grab Yogi, but at least we can watch Troy hopefully grow into his own here.

#190 awc713, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

looks like one of Morey's experiments. Probably hopes he turns into a prime Ariza.

13. Fantasma Negro

Teflon Bobby lol

J.R. and saleem like this.
  14. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Harden's boy, hes safe even after being waived, he got his job back.

15. j@amc

j@amc Member

Playing in his third game in four days (back-to-back/ day off, 3rd game) Williams jumper was clearly off (he went 0-7 from 3 pt line). But he did show he's more of a scorer still by putting it on the floor and getting to the line (8-10). It made for a quiet 25 points; I don't have highlight reel dunk this time as the D-League Suns really bodied up on Williams to keep him from getting loose. In fact, there was a pretty big flagrant two days ago when he went up late in the game. The dunks in the highlights are ho-hum by his standards.

Williams logged 35 minutes (again), 8 boards . . . The weaknesses are there: bad turnovers (but only 3) and fouls (5). I don't see him getting beat on D in one-on-one matchups as players respect his athleticism, but Williams could be more disruptive as a help defender. That's clearly not natural for him yet. Hope that doesn't hold him back. He should have more of an impact with steals and deflections.

By the way just because we're watching Onuaku as well: 28 minutes, 11 boards (but only 1 offensive), 5 TOs, 13 points. . . All to say he needs more time and seasoning. Will be a productive player at the next level, though.

Vivi, RudyTBag, Deuce and 1 other person like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Interesting,@BimaThug just asked Feigen if Williams got a 3yr deal like Taylor. Feigen says signed just for the rest of the season.

DonKnock likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Big fan of our future. Nanu, Troy Williams, Kyle Wiltjer.

Daryl, imo, is doing a great job at the bottom of the roster. We are going to have some tough decisions ahead with Clint, Trev and Trez, and I feel like we will be more than ready.

Yaosthirdleg, topfive and DonKnock like this.
  19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Is he going to come up with the Rockets or stay at RGV?

20. micah1j

micah1j Member

Ya, umm, what is the point?