1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 CFP National Championship: (1)Alabama vs. (2)Clemson

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 31, 2016.

?

(1)Alabama vs. (2)Clemson

Poll closed Jan 8, 2017.
  1. Alabama

55.0%
  2. Clemson

45.0%
  1. Major

Major Member

Has it been that way for about 2 years? It might be partly the result of seeing the pinnacle with your team. Until 3 years ago, Baylor was never part of that national title mix so college football is fun in an objective way. Then once Baylor is in the mix, college football is REALLY fun. But then when Baylor sucks, some of the shine comes off and it becomes less exciting than when they were bad in the first place. I know I've experienced that with both college football and college basketball these last few years with Texas sucking.

2. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Bump. it's gameday...roll tide.

justtxyank likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope this game is good, the playoff games have been horrible. even the NFL ones.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'll be watching. Hopefully it's a good game. I like Nick Saban so will be rooting for Alabama, plus I don't want to read Braddock's condescending crap on twitter about Clemson/Watson.

Roll Tide

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Frealz. Once the final numbers are in I'm sure more people will have watched UH vs Tulsa.

tinman likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I hope that Saban gets another title.

The SEC is by FAR the best and most important conference in college football.... hell, the SEC-Lite (ACC) is arguably the second best conference in the country.

The Big XII and PAC are basically second tier at this point.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Take Bama out and the best conference in college football went 5-6 in their bowl games. But as long as Bama is rolling...SEC SEC right?

8. Nook

Nook Member

You mean like Georgia beating TCU?

A 6-7 Vandy team losing their bowl?

A 6-7 South Carolina Team losing their bowl?

An Auburn team that was barely over .500% in the conference playing the #7 team in the country?

A KU team that was .500% in the conference and only won 7 games losing their bowl?

Not a shock that any of those lost..... the only one that would make some people pause is

The fact that the SEC will have played a total of 12 bowl games is an indication of the depth and strength of the conference.... that is over twice the number the Big XII had.

9. Major

Major Member

5 of those 12 schools relied on a win over a I-AA team just to get to 6-6 and become bowl eligible. The SEC this year has been Alabama and a bunch of medocrity. That doesn't say anything about Alabama, but I don't think anyone looks at the SEC as a powerhouse this year. Who's even considered the 2nd best team in the conference?

Auburn - the team you laughed at as barely above 0.500 in the conference and an understandable loss - is the 2nd highest ranked team.

Comparing to the Big12 - who everyone agrees was pitiful this year - is not really a defense of the SEC.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Are we really going to have a 2017 edition of SEC vs whatever conference? The only story the bowl season has definitively showed so far is that the best regular season conference, the Big 10, fell on their face during bowl season. Anyhow, I don't think this is going to be a shootout like last year's amazing punch-counter punch contest, but I hope it is.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup those along A&M losing to a middle of the run K-State team from the Big 12 and Arky blowing a 20+ point lead against VaTech. And yes a lot of those schools you mentioned weren't very good but neither were their opponents. Neither Georgia Tech or NCState were above .500 in conference play. And not sure what else to say about Auburn other than what Major said. Lol.

But regardless, the SEC will still widely be considered the strongest conference as long as Bama keeps rolling and hard to argue that. But to say they are "by far the best" and "most important" (whatever the hell that means" is sunshine pumping at its finest.

12. Buck Turgidson

I do like those Southern Belles, Bama, Ole Miss, LSU etc have always had talent.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Win or lose... **** Alabama. And one of my best friends went there. I tell him to his face.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roll Tide. The rout is on.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

How do they miss a late hit on Bama on Clemson's first play of the game, and then they miss a targeting hit as Bama's safety tees off on Mike Williams? Yet, on a kickoff, they call a BS personal foul on Clemson...

Tony Brown should be ejected.

16. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

Game is rigged, the tide are targeting the tigers best players being dirty and the refs are letting it happen

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. Plowman

Supporting Member

The game doesn't need to be rigged. This is a historically great Bama team. It's just really physical out there.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That should be a touchback. Bama receiver didn't re establish himself.

Nvm. I'm used to the NFL rules.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This ref has bigger muscles than anyone in the stadium

20. Plowman

Supporting Member

Ed Hochuliesque

Two Sandwiches likes this.