1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drinking and Driving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, Nov 11, 2015.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sad. Rip Mr. Motorcycle man

2. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Yep, that's how it happened to me. I swerved towards right hand lane and the drunk idiot did the same. Drunks follow head lights. RIP

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Your friend didn't ruin his life rather just his next five years at most. I feel for him, and I hope he gets counseling and time he deserves.

Rip motorcycle man.

4. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

It's silly to say "we've all" done it because "we all" have not. Let's not argue semantics, though.

I support your post because I have a friend that has SIX DUIs (3 in N. Carolina, 3 in Missouri) and since his father 1) has money and 2) is ex Fed Gov employee, he sees little consequence. Son of a b**** doesn't even understand the danger of his actions, yet.

Call an Uber, taxi, or sleep in your driver's seat. Hell, tell the establishment you need a cab (legally, they have to comply in my state, not sure about Texas).

5. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

NO. Ten years from now, he'll still remember this. 20 years, even.

6. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Wait wait wait. 11 miles APD tried to stop him???? Call me crazy, but when does alcohol remove all sense of logic whatsoever??????????? I think something else was involved here.

7. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Exactly. There are a few people claiming that something else may have been involved.

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Just watched the news clip.

It's horrible for everyone involved, including the guilty party. I don't condone drinking and driving, but I guess I'm sympathetic, in general, because we all make absolutely terrible mistakes throughout the course of our lives.

I don't think your friend would feel better if he were let off. It seems like serving time allows people to accept responsibility and deal with the guilt associated with tragedy, not that i know from personal experience.

Prayer for everyone involved. +

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

From what I've seen...he'll likely be charged with intoxication manslaughter and, if this is a first offense, could get off with as little as probation. I had a friend many years ago killed by a drunk driver. The guy never saw the inside of a jail cell and he wasn't someone who was particularly connected.

I'm not going to lie or act high and mighty. I've been lucky. Extremely lucky...to have never caused something like this to happen. I've driven at times where I had no business even being in a car, let along behind the wheel. It took me longer than it should have to realize I have too much to lose. Just recently, I was at a friend's house having drinks less than 5 minutes from my house. I still Uber'd. It's just not worth it.

One other quick anecdote. My wife and I were in Anaheim a couple of years ago for my client's Christmas party. We used Uber to and from the party. On the way back to the hotel, we went through a DWI checkpoint. Later, because I was curious, I checked the cost of an average DWI in CA. I figured that $40 ride saved me approx. $20,000...plus my decently well paying job.

It simply ain't worth it.

10. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

I saw this on the news yesterday, pretty crazy. One dumb decision will lead to great consequences for him.

Hope he can eventually bounce back and the victim's family can heal.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man sorry to hear that, I've heard of the headlights thing but haven't witnessed it yet (thankfully), and hopefully I don't ever come across it. I hope you had a speedy recovery, these ****ing drunks usually do just fine in a wreck since their bodies typically don't tense up.

I used to think I'd do something different but as I get older I know that's bull****. It's like basic human nature to think you can do something different than others (especially if you haven't personally witnessed it), but the reality is it happens so fast it's hard to even be prepared. **** happens scary fast even without impaired judgement, and I'm sure the motorcycle vet wasn't doing nothing, I mean the guy survived 2 tours I'm pretty ****ing sure he didn't willingly crash into this *******. What sucks even more is this was on veterans day.

http://kxan.com/2015/11/11/deadly-wrong-way-crash-kills-a-motorcyclist-on-i-35/

RIP

1 person likes this.
  12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I do it, many times when I go out.

I feel like I drive safer and somehow the next day I don't remember how I got home

Not a good practice and I need to get out of it

13. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I commend your resolution and urge you to stop your drunk GARM posts as well.

1 person likes this.
  14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

There is a tipping point to where I gauge I'm no longer safe to drive and if I don't remember how I got home in the morning, that's way past the tipping point lol.

15. Invisible Fan

He can still work and function in society after he's done his time. Living with fits of guilt doesn't mean his life is ruined.

Scarred perhaps, but different scales we're using here.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Plus, two vehicles going 60+, in opposite directions, gives little reaction time.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Get your **** together bro.

18. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I know what you are saying because I used to be that way. You think you will get home fine ... guess what? you might not. Speaking as someone who has been busted for this... Call a cab and save yourself years of explaining, court dates, crazy expensive car insurance, judgement (rightfully earned judgement) from family, friends, employers and potential employers, a license suspension, hefty fines and missing out on every job you interview for. Get an uber or a DD and go have your fun, it is soooooooooooo much cheaper than driving with a buzz and getting a DUI. Plus there is no chance of ******* killing yourself or someone else. It is not funny or cool to not know how you got home, it is ******* dangerous and irresponsible. You won't get a do-over. You won't be able to take back that last whiskey and coke.

That whole "it will cost you $20,000" ad campaign against drunk driving is more than accurate. Don't learn the hard way. I have definitely learned my lesson and paid my dues but its not enough. I had a problem and got my stuff together but I am definitely still paying for it. It has been 3 years and I was only 22 but it is ruining so many things for me today. I recently had an interview that went very well but I don't think I will get the job because of the background check. It isn't worth it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

You don't need more people piling on. Try sitting in AA meetings and hear their stories. Some people have their demons drowned with alcohol and other things. Others don't know when to stop drinking. It's good to grab prespective from time to time.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=140212

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=248134

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=43202

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=14351

Not like the BBS to be light on Drunk Drivers
    Usually alot of rage

We all human.
    It is a very unfortunate situation.
    A person is dead. So my sympathy for the person responsible is dampened.
    I know he must feel very bad. . . . .

All I can do is pray for all involved.
    Our lives are so fragile
    One mistake and the consequences can be major

Rocket River