Cooking: pork belly

basso

so, the co-op had some pork belly today, and picked up a pound. it had the skin on, which they sliced off, but left in the package. so, i have a nice hunk of belly, and a slab of skin, and only a vague idea of what to do with it...anybody have any experience smoking/roasting/braising said belly?

basso

so, i tried this:

http://fdrealestate.com/viewrental....014&dtbegin=&dtend=&price=&agentcode=pinn.ma1

and was a little disappointed. although the inside was nice and moist, if not quite meltingly so, the outside was overly crisp, almost charred, and slightly burned. this may have as much to do with my oven as with the recipe, but i will try lower heat next time, and more of a braise, perhaps with some smoke to start.

bought another 2 lbs to experiment with...

basso

2nd attempt went much better. left the skin on this time (more on that below) and applied a basic rub, then smoke on low heat (250). after two hours it looked like this:

poured a beer in the pan and wrapped in foil. 3 hours later:

raised heat to 300-ish, uncovered and basted for the last hour:

it was really good:

the skin probably helped keep it moist, but had a bit of a rubbery texture (probably needs higher heat to crisp), so i would remove it before cooking next time, and probably cut back the braising time by ~hour (it was tender, failling apart, but perhaps slightly overdone).
still, a huge improvement on the first attempt.

so, the co-op had some pork belly today, and picked up a pound. it had the skin on, which they sliced off, but left in the package. so, i have a nice hunk of belly, and a slab of skin, and only a vague idea of what to do with it...anybody have any experience smoking/roasting/braising said belly?
Next time do not let them take the skin off. I suggest seasoning and then doing a confit at low heat like 250 degrees for 3-4 hours.