1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zoomer (Gen Z) Work Ethic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jul 31, 2022.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

How about incentivizing workers to do more? If someone leaves a team, the rest of the members have to pick up the slack. How about using some of the salary that you are no longer paying to temporarily increase the pay of the rest of the team members until they find a backfill? It doesn't even have to be a 1:1 distribution. Giving five members of a team a $10K raise when a person making $100K leaves is still saving the company money.

Rocket River likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . and what happens to the manager that drove you away?
    Probably nothing. Maybe get a raise because the head count he manages went up by two
    It is so Bass Ackwards its crazy

Cheap. Companies don't feel they should have to
    We contracted you for 8 hrs a day
    that means for 8 hours you do what the F we say!!!
    But
    They have broken the contract because while Employees are to be there for 8 hrs a day
    they have various expectations and responsibilities that grow larger over time without increase in pay

Rocket River

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

HR mostly sucks. They're more incentivized to hire new people and keep payrolls capped at percentages than do the hard work of worker growth and quality retention.

That they're rewarded for that backward metric is telling for how much a clue C levels have for their personnel.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Things happen in super cycles.

Labor vs capital. Labor had it pretty well from post WW2 1940s to 1970s then Capital took the reigns 1980 to present. We are due, buckle up buckaroos.

Two Sandwiches and Rocket River like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

During the process it became quite clear that my direct supervisor was useless. His boss is the one that refused to do anything.

No direct ramifications but I know it hurt him politically. I was well respected and liked there.

This wasn't HR's issue, it was a 'budget' issue. The number two guy there (who I didn't report to) is a personal friend of mine and straight up told me there were ways to get me what I asked for.

There's no doubt that ignorance is real.

[​IMG]

ROCKSS and Rocket River like this.
  6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

7. Xerobull

Two Zoomer work-related anecdotes:
    • I was heads-down working on some reports yesterday, had music on loud and didn't hear my housekeepers (two Zoomer girls) timid knocking on my front door. They ended up calling their boss, who texted me (which I also didn't hear) then finally called me. They sat outside for 20 minutes waiting on comms instead of just banging on my door. I opened the door laughing and said all they had to do was bang on the door. The lead was cranky and said 'they need to put that in the notes, then!'. lol, smh

• One of the Zoomers at my wife's work broke her phone. She was in an absolute panic because she couldn't remember any phone numbers. She told my wife 'I'm going to have to go to my boyfriend's house and knock on the door!'. My wife walked her through calling her dad, who she had listed as an emergency contact.
    Sort of related: an old friend of mine was complaining to me yesterday how his daughter's non-binary partner lost their job and was living with his daughter rent-free. I stopped him and said, hey, man, deadbeats some in all shapes and sizes and sexes, and it's really on your daughter for picking the idiot in the first place, it doesn't really have anything to do with their gender identity, more just her taste in partners, which reflects on you, bro.

We had a good laugh and sort of commiserated about Zoomers (not the gender identity part) and how there's nothing we could do except accept that they're strange to us old Gen Xers.

#87 Xerobull, May 25, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023
  8. Buck Turgidson

This sounds like a "you" problem, not a "them" problem:
    • you knew people were coming to your house
    • you had music up loud enough to not hear anything
    • you have no idea how "timid" their knocking was, yet you expect them to beat the hell out of your front door to maybe be heard
    • you didn't have your phone where you could see the screen light up for an incoming call/text
    I commend them for waiting around for 20 minutes, that's dedication holmes, any normal person would have left after 5 at the most.

9. Xerobull

Nah. Not possible.

10. Buck Turgidson

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. Xerobull

I've noticed that Zoomers and younger Millennials don't use email as their go-to comms. Is there a reason for this? I don't see digging out a message from Slack or Teams as more efficient.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is not a generational thing.

Ever since my early days in an office, my rule has always been "email me or it never happened".

Meaning that, if you phone, text, IM, leave a note on my desk, smoke signals, etc, me a request/ask/notice.... I offer you zero expectation that it will be observed, completed on time, or to proper specs.

My inbox is my "to do" pile and how I organize my thoughts and actions. Just because it is more convenient for you to tell me in the hallway or you want to chit-chat on the phone does NOT mean it works for me. Anyone who asks me to do something gets told the same thing, "email it to me"... and yet people still try to slide **** by me without doing so.

I've been burned FAR too many times by people moving goalposts after the fact. I need a paper trail. Both so *I* can reference the ask and get specifics right and so the asker doesn't weasel out on me later.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I just e-mailed you. Please wire transfer $400,000 to Nigerian-Prince-316@legitimate-email.com. Thanks in advance.

Invisible Fan, MadMax, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think he's a boomer?

Doesn't that only work on boomers?

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Good point. The other mediums have just changed.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Everyone has their own "ways of working" and it's important to respect it.

I will always communicate and create asks via the channel someone prefers. It's just the right thing to do.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have discovered this is the exact reason why people dont like emails.

I understand phone calls and short discussions can hammer out a lot of the quick and easy questions, but follow it up in writing.

Boomers would call this the "minutes of meeting"

Xerobull likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Yep. YMMV, but in my experience, the correlation between how difficult it is to get somebody to email me when I ask and how shitty of a co-worker that person is (lazy, untrustworthy, etc) tends to be extremely high.

TBF, I don't even ask for emails when it comes to follow-on stuff unless it alters the scope or outcome of a project. I don't mind quick chats when seeking clarity or overcoming some gatekeeping issues, etc.

But the original ask and all of its outlined requirements? That **** better be in my inbox or it ain't happening.

#98 DonnyMost, Jul 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Space Ghost and Xerobull like this.
  19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I get all my work requirements in emojis and memes.

Nook likes this.
  20. Xerobull