1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe : Patrick Beverley is a 2016 Marc Gasol All-Star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Mar 8, 2016.

1. basketballholic

Rubio and Smart are the two best defending PGs in the business followed by Conley and CP3.

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

cool bro good for you to believe that

3. hakeemthagreat

I do like PB. I'll admit that. From my understanding, you're one of those who've undersold Beverley's contributions for awhile also. There is a reason he's respected around the league as a top defender at his position. The only place who doesn't value him is HERE.

The Rockets being the worst defensive team has nothing to do with Bev btw

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

well, "nothing" is a strong word. He's one of the starting five, and if you add in the second team, his contribution still has to be at least 10%. :grin:

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't think I undersell him. He's a very limited skilled pg who is only starting because of the guard next to him. I don't underrate or overrate him because his overall skillset is just limited. Just because his defense was a high level in the past doesn't automatically mean its the same today. A lot of things have naturally contributed to the regression. You speak as if hes still at that all nba defensive level when in reality that's far from the truth. There's no undervaluing or overvaluing that. That's just what has happened.

Every single player on this team is responsible for the Rockets being the worst defensive team. No player is an exception.

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I love what Beverley brings to our team, he tries, but to say he's an elite defender at his position is in my opinion silly. Bev is average, PG is so deep.

At some point I think you guys need to reconcile the fact that half this message board thinks we have 3 great defenders in our starting lineup but one of the worst defenses in the NBA..... Does not compute.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard."

8. hakeemthagreat

At his position he's elite defensively. Just because a great player has a good game versus Bev doesn't necessarily mean he's regressed. That's just ridiculous. I guess i pay attention to the little things he does defensively instead of looking at boxscores. Tonite he gotta HUGE steal that sealed the game, yet nobody gave the man credit smh.

PS You can have a great defensive player playing in a lousy defensive system. Should we blame our horrible rebounding on DMo & Dwight too?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Give him credit for what. That steal was not that huge lol. It was against ish smith a bench pg who was getting to the basket at will for the majority of the game. It didn't seal the game. Lol. Another example of just seeing what you want to see and trying to overrate things. And please don't tell me you're assuming I look at just the box scores. I am fully aware of Beverley's performance night in and night out. If ü truly paid attention to the little things ü would acknowledge the issues being brought up here not only by myself but others here. If not ü really aren't looking at the "little" things that do show his regression and again are just looking for something ü want to see

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Bev is the only NBA jersey I have(only because I met him and he personally have me a signed jersey and an extra one to wear around)

He really stepped up his shooting and I can see his court vision and assist getting better every season. Hard to believe he kept his spot over ty. I think harden really enjoys playing next to him

11. hakeemthagreat

Lol. So because it's Ish Smith it doesn't count? Had we lost that game Rocket fans would've been besides themselves. But because we won "it's not that huge" and im overrating his performance? Um ok lol. You can't be watching this team every nite fam. This isn't the first time Bev's supposed "regressed" defense came up clutch for us either. He's saved us a few times.

I don't get you guys. You over hype DMo who's played like a scrub this season. But Beverley is the one overrated? Yea that sounds right:rolleyes:

12. OpenLayup-Why3?

:rolleyes: Is it? :grin:

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Still you fail to recognize Ish Smith getting to the basket at will throughout that game.

Basically to sum it up its pretty much you that overrates him. You don't have to get excited and try to push something just because something like a "huge steal" comes towards at the end of a game that was pretty much won already. He made a nice play there. that's it. you don't have to make it seem like ohhhh beverley saved the entire game there like you seem to be. No idea why Dmo is being brought up in this conversation. He isn't what is being talked about here.

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

That about sums up this season in a nutshell.

15. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. If I overrate him? If anything you UNDERATE him. You've already downplayed his late game steal last nite. Fact of the matter is, Bev's already made key defensive plays down the stretch multiple times this season. Whether it be defending, or grabbing a key defensive rebound. Now you're solely attributing all of Ish Smith's points to Bev, as if he scored all the points directly on Bev, which we both know is laughable.

Just admit you're not fond of Bev and don't like him. You'll come across more authentic in your post

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

how do you underrate a player whose job is a energy/hustle guy who shoots 3s and plays defense. that's the hilarious part. Now if we're talking about overrating, someone could just read your posts and simple see how that applies.

I come across fine actually. It's called being objective. Just because I don't celebrate some late game steal doesn't make anyone lose any ounce of credibility. It's actually sad that you have to become so excited over something like that. There's a reason why you seem to be the only one who thinks Bev is still this defensive stopper when everything else says otherwise. Stating the obvious of him regressing on the defensive end doesn't mean someone hates anyone. That's simply understanding what is going on instead of being blinded by someone you're just a fan of and believing nothing is wrong.

17. hakeemthagreat

No, its called not valuing good defense. To your credit, I just don't think you care that much about defense anyway. You look at the boxscore and see Ish Smith has a good game, then say "wow, Bev must can't guard Ish Smith". Not understanding if Bev's guarding his man and they pick Bev off, then his man now has the advantage against a much bigger slower defender. I challenge you to watch a whole Rockets game, and pay close attention to strictly defense. You'll have a new appreciation for the game

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh please ive been echoing defense for the longest time especially when half the stuff posted around here is complaining about offense. There you go with all these assumptions again. You can go ahead and be continued to be impressed with those things and think Bev is immune to any type of criticism. Bev getting picked off happens every single play right. Sounds like to you it does. Again just trying to find something to push what you try to believe.