1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe : Patrick Beverley is a 2016 Marc Gasol All-Star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Mar 8, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Exactly!

This is the Marc Gasol All Star columns , not real all stars.:rolleyes:
    And I'm happy to see Bev here on that list.

As for he's not a good defener any more..fine. Tell me then 10 better defensive point guards. Let's see who you got.

Because find good defence at the pg spot is very difficult and Bev even if he has slipped is up there.

2. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I'll go, in no real order.

Marcus Smart
    CP3
    Russell Westbrook
    Lowry
    Bledsoe
    Teague
    Conley
    Wall
    Jrue Holiday
    George Hill
    Elfrid Payton
    Kemba Walker
    Rondo
    Rubio

3. malakas

malakas Member

WOW.
    How can in your right mind put Kemba Walker in that list? Why not put I.T then in there while you are at it?
    And Rondo? Except he is going still on his reputation and has become one of the worst team defenders?

Teague and Holiday? Nothing special worse than Beverly.
    Payton? Payton can play good defence in spurts, most of the time THIS YEAR he has been giving up and not even trying. Definitely won't put him above Bev or even in the top 10 of defenders. Now maybe in 4-5 years perhaps.

4. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I was kind of grasping at straws towards the end there, but Beverley is probably right around 10, but it's a bell curve so that makes him pretty average for his position.

There are many PGs in that defensive middle class I'd take over Bev though because of their offense.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

ohhh hold on now. im one of the few that wants to trade harden IF we can get equal value in return. i think we can and i think other teams like the hawks are perfect trading partners but i know the chances of him being traded are low

since we're stuck with harden, might as well build an acutal team around him. competent coachign staff and role players. easily 4-5th seed if done right. maybe even 3rd seed.

virtually it would b eharden, a 2nd option and defense and a decent coach. if they can do that, they can take any contender to 6-7 games and lose honorably.

i'd love harden as a 2nd option but i know there's no way rockets can surround them with enough talent. it'll be 2 role players and a buncha scrubs, just like clppers last year. cp3, blake, jj, dj and a buncha borderline avg players.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

digitallinh is insufferable

7. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Go home you're drunk

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe he is already drunk at home. :)

9. Dopamine

Dopamine Member

I just love Bev's competitive nature, his relentless activity leading to numerous offensive boards and he's always fights til the clock runs out.. He doesn't get nearly enough credit for improving his long ball to 40% like someone else pointed out, yes his defense is not what it was 2 yrs ago but the Rockets as a unit have sucked ass on defense this season.

I like how Lowe pointed out his under-rated slashing capability to get to the basket with his quickness (which he should do more of) , he's also developed a nice little floater in the lane.

10. malakas

malakas Member

no. Rubio is probably the best pg defender in the league. Better than Beverly.
    I didn't doubt his name in that list.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I definitely agree with you on Rondo, Kemba, Teague...and i'd say Westbrook also, he can play great defense but how often he does? Not as much as digi thinks imo.

Where i do not agree with you is on Holiday, i think he really is a very good defender, i didn't know he was that good, but this year i looked at him multiple times and i have to say that he's that good.

12. hakeemthagreat

That's just not true lol. Beverley has never been a bad defender, like DMo, Jones or Harden.

Everything in this post is just wrong. Barely average? Um ok lol. You can undersell Bev if you want. But the fact is without Bev's defense the Rockets would be where Sacramento is right now, headed to the lottery

13. basketballholic

Remove Walker and Payton and the list is accurate.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

I know you've supported PB for quite awhile now but please don't let that blind you on whats really going on out there. And you're overrating him quite a bit at the moment.

Btw the rockets defense is already the worse in the league.

15. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

bev is better than teague and holiday? those players can take over games, lol u gotta be ****ing kiddidng me!

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

what are you talkin about? bev's the most skilled player in the league according to taco bell. since he didnt get a chance to defend his skills title at the all star weekend, technically he's still the most skilled player in the league.
    better than lebron and durant! sign this mofo to the max morey!

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

At least he isn't afraid to speak his mind and be unpolitically correct about basketball. Because that's what we really need in a basketball analyst.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

The whole "Bev is a shutdown defender" thing should've ended last year. This is still a thing?

I mean, there's a reason the TEAM defense is so poor, and it's not just because of Harden. Pretty much every player has declined defensively. Dwight, Harden, Brewer, Beverley, Ariza... you name it. And then we also have guys like TJones and Terry... lel

19. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Bev hasn't backed up his defensive reputation the last two seasons, while Harden is backing up his defensive reputation this season.

20. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

LOL hell nahhh