1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yuta Watanabe as a Toronto Raptors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by VanityHalfBlack, Feb 1, 2021.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Goodbye Jeremy, it was nice knowing yah!

tinman likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

4. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

I've liked this guy since his George Washington days...great defender, handle and can shoot

tinman and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. SunsRocketsfan

Where are the WOFs

VanityHalfBlack and tinman like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't have a cult who cries when he asks why Jesus has forsaken him with a bad jump shot

7. mig0s

mig0s Member

Lol @ the white people comparing Lin to Watanabe. The ignorance is real

plutoblue11, yoeddy, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes one of them is in the G-League and one in the NBA.

@Zboy

VanityHalfBlack and jiggyfly like this.
  9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

10. VanityHalfBlack

Not much of a comparison. Yuta is awesome. Lin cries too much.

11. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

As someone who has sat in class with him, I hope him all the best lol!

I do hope he gets a chance to play with Rui in DC.

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Ethnicity Definition: The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

I've been mulling this in my head, this is just shower thoughts. Hopefully don't end up in D&D

Forget borders and governments for a second, but culturally aren't most East Asians basically "Chinese" ethinically. Many of what's associated with Japanese culture (tea ritual, sushi, karate) originated from parts of China. Korean Hanja was basically Chinese. Many Malaysian and most Singaporean see themselves as ethnically "Chinese". At the same time, I've always felt that the term "Chinese" or even "Han Chinese" is not specific enough in distinguish different culture within China with the difference in food, spoken language, value system and societal structure.

Like people would say Luka ethinically slovenian and serbian, while can also calling him Slavic. Isn't ethically Chinese more similar to being Slavic, and if so, just like we can say a lot of East Europe is Slavic, would it be ok to say most of East Asia is "Chinese"?

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

there's so many things wrong here I don't even know where to start. Just because there some ethnicities share certain culture traditions or similar language origins doesn't mean they are the same ethnicity. I'm sure there are parts of French culture traditions that can be found in Italy, Germany, Belgium and Britain etc, that doesn't mean you can start calling British people French.

A lot of people in Malaysia and Singapore see themselves as ethnically Chinese because they are actually ethnically Chinese, as opposed to those who are ethnically Malay.

Chinese is not similar at all to being Slavic, Chinese is more similar to being Russian, or Ukranian, or Croatian. Calling all East Asians Chinese is like calling call Eastern Europeans Russian.

Rocketeer4Life likes this.
  14. wizkid83

You're probably right, like I've said it's a random thought.

Now here's my next question, what does it take to be considered a different ethnicity? Are those who are in HK for example ethnically same as those from Beijing?

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No idea to be honest. There are ethnically Korean people in Japan for like 4-5 generations, but they will probably never be considered to be ethnically Japanese. I guess the same questions can be asked about any ethnicity. How long does it take for a Englishman to be considered ethnically French.

I don't know the exact numbers but something like 90% of people in Hong Kong are Han Chinese. Not sure if that will ever change. I don't think Hong Kong is ethnically different from China, or ever claimed to be.

16. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

What does Yuta Watanabe have to do with Jeremy Lin?

17. yoeddy

Or...one of them had a 9 year NBA career, the other is just starting out.

Or...one of them is Asian-American, the other is Japanese.

Or...one of them is an Ivy Leaguer, the other isn't.

18. yoeddy

How about American vs. Japanese?

19. wizkid83

Once again just thinking out loud.

Historically and Culturally, I would say American to Japanese would be similar to Serbian to Slavic. As in there are Slavic people with an primary ethnic heritage, there Slavic people in Serbia also develop Serbian ethnic differences from other Slavic people.

There are Japanese ethnicity which came first, those that are Japanese in America are also ethnically American.

Edit: And like Apollo33 said, a lot of it is ambiguously defined with no hard and fast rule that I know of

20. wizkid83

So here's what kicked off my thoughts. Culture and Tradition wise, I feel like Shanghai, Sichuan or Guangzhou can be as different each other as those from Korean or Japan. When did the first three gain a shared ethnicity? Probably during conquest and some point of Chinese unification. But then there are other point in time when other parts of Asia was under some Han kingdom that are now independent, how are their ethnicity defined?