1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your most humbling moment in sports ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by UtilityPlayer, Feb 10, 2014.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

For me it was soccer .

I am a pretty good athlete when it comes to various sports. The sports I am good at are football , basketball , baseball (pitching). But soccer humbled me the most when I tried it.

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

As a sports fan this moment crushed me....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WhDi0Ce_Z5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Playing competitively, when my left ankle could no longer stop itself from buckling at the slightest gust of wind. Sucks getting old.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I used to play basketball at the UH rec center and dominate before paulftsk showed up.

1 person likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

First time I played Golf.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Basketball was the first team sport I played in which I never started a game. It was also the first time I was DNP-CD. That was humbling. I wasn't horrible...I could dribble and shoot decently enough. I was good defensively. I just didn't have the instincts for the game. In 2 years of Jr. High basketball, I don't think I scored.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This.

I didn't even play the actual game. Just tee'd off at Top Golf. No matter how hard I tried I could never get the ball down mid fairway, always sliced to the right. Baseball killed my golf swing before I even knew I had a golf swing.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Golf. Definetly Golf.

I've been golfing for almost four years now, and I'm still humbled everytime I tee off. lol

Funny that you say this. My biggest breakthrough swing wise has been mentally thinking of baseball swing. It's worked wonders with my contact, hip movement, and weight transfer.

#7 HR Dept, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. BonziWellsGOAT

Similar experience:

The first time I had paulftsk's nuts draggged across my face as he skyed over me for the slam....a la Michael Jordan in Space Jam.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Tennis. Was ranked in top 5 in state. Made it to nationals. Lost in first round.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

easy - striking out in softball..did it probably 3-4 times over the course of the 10yrs I played. You get Overconfident and just swing for the fences at a bad pitch..and then because you whiffed..you get overly determined and whiff again. oops

Recently I tried to race a bunch of other dads from our Indian Princess tribe at the local skating rink - I should have easily placed since I aggressive-skated for years in the early 90's..and I recently had beaten all my coworkers on an impromptu trip to the rink during a company power-outage. I'm 40 and my coworkers are all in their 20's, yet I beat them all while wearing rental skates. This time I'm in my own skates so I thought I'd do well even though a couple of the other dads were avid hockey players. WRONG -- I didn't take into account that I was wearing Aggressive-inline skates on a rink. Small hard wheels do NOT grip wood like they do pavement. When I tried to start the race my back foot just slid right out from under me like I was on oil. then just about every turn my inside foot just slid causing me to slide out every time. I looked like a fool coming in pretty much last because I kept sliding out.

I've worn the cheap rental inlines every time I've been back since.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Everything you mentioned is practically flawless in my regard. But when I swing thru my right elbow juts out as if I'm trying to make contact on a sinker/slider.

I'm sure practice would get that kink out of my swing but I just don't play often enough to correct it. :(

12. TheresTheDagger

There's a reason its also known as "A good walk spoiled".

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Every time I play golf (especially when my wife constantly wins).

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Golf's not humbling because I know that I suck at it. :)

15. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Spelling.

Being embarrassed on that stage in front of all those people sucked.

16. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I think golf is more humbling when you actually get good and then fail in a key moment. Say you are around a five handicap and you blow a 2 stroke lead on the final hole. That is humbling. Not saying that I have done that (although I have), but it is more of a general statement. Golf is the most humbling sport I have been a part of.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Spelling is a sport?

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At a Judo match I was playing an older guy who wasn't as good of an athlete as me. I was up on points and he was playing very defensive and not wanting to try to attack with about a minute to go. At that point I could've just stalled the match out and won but I had been doing this throw below in practice all week
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aqXHugSvT18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    and thought "I am going to throw this guy with Yokowakare and it's going to be so cool!"

As soon as I dropped to do the throw he side stepped me and pinned me for the win. I learned a real humbling lesson about getting cocky in a match.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

First time I watched paulftstsfdsfk's basketball video.

I could see that I would never become as great at basketball as this guy.

20. lpbman

lpbman Member

When I found out my HS basketball team didn't need a 5'9" center.