1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yimi García for De La Cruz?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Puss In Booty, Jul 28, 2021.

1. The Drake

The Drake Member

I like the move. Another bullpen upgrade and I don't see us missing DLC much.

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

All this tells me is we are definitely not getting Scherzer

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Read the last few pages of the 2021 Trade Targets thread, specifically posts by our insider @Nook

If they don't get Scherzer it's not because they don't want to make another move, it's because he only wants an NL West club.

4. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Yep. He prefers west coast supposedly. Also rumor is he will veto a trade to NYY

Can't hate on the dude

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Because we would have needed De La Cruz in any Scherzer trade?

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

Because the Astros are trying to stay under the luxary tax with the moves they've made so far.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

They were never going to go over the tax line for rental relievers, and they would have been incredibly stupid if they did

If they can add a K Bryant, M Scherzer, T Turner or another star quality player, there is no doubt that they will do so without worrying about the tax line

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

They're staying under the luxury tax on SMALL moves. They are more than willing to go above for a bigger trade. There is zero point incurring the LT penalties if you're over by a small margin.

9. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Of course it makes sense that they won’t go over the tax for a marginal upgrade like Garcia. Now if the Astros can get a difference maker like Scherzer, Hendricks, Bryant, Turner, or a combo of Berrios/Buxton, of course they would go over the tax line. I consider this deadline a success and any extra trades would be as satisfying as HEB icing they use on cakes

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

Agreed, I like the moves they made getting great value for the price. However, I don't think those moves would've been made if they felt they had a reasonable shot at Scherzer

#11 jayfree, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  11. Fyreball

I don't understand your logic. Neither of the players we dealt are the difference between getting Scherzer or not. I sincerely doubt they were holding Toro out of trade talks in the off chance Washington really, REALLY wanted him.

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

Well, if we get Scherzer I'll say I'm wrong ;) But from the standpoint right now it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

13. SuraGotMadHops

If we don't get Scherzer you will probably still be wrong. These moves do not preclude the Astros from bidding on Scherzer. If they don't get Scherzer it will be because he preferred another destination and/or another team offered more in valuable trade pieces than the Astros highest and best offer.

Click has already said on several occasions that Crane had authorized him to go over the tax line to acquire a star player.

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

Then call it a feeling or intuition but the bottom line is I don't feel we are getting Scherzer.

15. Buck Turgidson

Not sure why this little trade would matter...

jayfree likes this.
  16. Fyreball

Well yeah, at this point it's highly unlikely we get him. But it was always highly unlikely that we got him. It has nothing to do with either of the trades the Astros made, nor does it have anything to do with Crane not wanting to go over the tax. You tying the two ideas together is what makes no sense.

17. SuraGotMadHops

I have a feeling we are not getting him either, but it has zero to do with the trades for Graveman and Garcia. None.

18. jayfree

jayfree Member

You may be right, but that's just my feeling on it and unfortunately can't be proven right or wrong unless we actually got Scherzer.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Garcia is a great acquisition. He’s solid and a huge upgrade for our pen. He’s not elite but he’s solid.