1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yea or Nay, Ken Hamlin in Battle Red.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rowdy4Life, Apr 5, 2010.

?

Would you like to see Ken Hamlin in Houston

1. Yes

59.2%
  2. No

40.8%
  1. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

How would you feel about Mr. Hamlin becoming a Texan

Torotimes.com

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

He would be the kind of guy that might sign a fairly reasonable offer and have something to prove. Why not?

3. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

heck yeah, should come at a decent price

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Isn't the knock on him that he can't cover and isn't a ball hawking safety? Hasn't his time in Dallas been marked with the "OK we've got Hamlin, now let's find the rangey safety to cover?"

5. conquistador#11

He is worth looking at for the training camp roster, but the last thing we need is a "liability in coverage".

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm not so sure. While he would come at a discount for sure, I don't know that the Texans need another safety who can't cover.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Hamlin is probably worth a look but if the Texans get Thomas in the draft then it probably won't make much sense having Wilson already in the fold.

The guy I wish the Texans would atleast consider is Alex Brown, he is the kind of veteran that could make a positive difference for the D-line while mentoring Barwin, and to some extent Mario, in the process.

8. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Such a distasteful reason #1. :rolleyes:

9. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Definately. Should have gone with 50 Cent.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Speaking from a Cowboys fan perspective, I would say that is accurate. He was affectionately referred to as the quarterback of the defensive secondary...calling out the play calls and making sure everyone was in the correct position for the play. He definitely knows the position and where he should be on the field. However, his first season with Dallas I believe was his best. And, as tends to happen, Jerry swooped in and signed him to a long term deal. Then, the following season, he had a letdown season and everyone was questioning why Jerry spent so much on him. It's like he got comfortable after that and quit trying to prove he was a good player. Last season...he was injured four games and had a decent year. But, his strength isn't necessarily making plays on the ball as much as it is just being an experienced safety who knew the defense and where he should be on the field. His first season he had 5 INTs and 15 PDs. Jerry thought he was the safety for the future. His next two seasons...he had a combined 1 INT and 4 PDs.

So, if he brings a chip on his shoulder feeling he has something to prove, you may get the Hamlin the Cowboys had the first season. More than likely, you will just get an experienced safety who can do the job, call the plays, provide some leadership, etc. . He definitely wasn't worth all the money Jerry threw at him...and that is why he is gone. Of course, knowing the Cowboys...it will likely be a problem replacing him. I'm sure the Cowboys have something in mind...but it could easily work against us and our secondary could suffer. Then, we will have a better picture of whether Hamlin filled his role better than was originally thought...if that turns into a problematic position for us next season.

#10 Surfguy, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It can't hurt to bring him in.

But I would also like to see them give Lito Sheppard a look

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Also a Cowboy fan, and I agree with most of what Surfguy said. Hamlin was the Defensive Quarterback on our D and they have been a good unit the last couple years. Their solid play this year was more attributable (I think) to the emergence of our cornerbacks and their ability to play man. Terrence Newman had a great bounceback type of year and Mike Jenkins was even better than Newman and showed that IMO he will be a star in this league for the next few years. Hamlin would be good for the Texans because he would be better than any other option they have. He will make the defense a smarter one, but doesn't give it much oomph from an athletic/big play standpoint.

I am praying the Cowboys are going for the homerun in trading this years first, next years first and next years 3rd for Eric Berry. Otherwise, it is still a mystery why the cowboys released those two veterans when they are angling for a super bowl. Some say Jerry is starting to worry about money. Some say Doug Free and Alan Ball are better. But you could just keep them around for depth... Who knows.

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

the texans can sign him for one year to see how he does, especially since this year the texans play against dallas, and he will be motivated to play against them, so for a reasonable price get him for a year, with the option for a 2nd year.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2010/04/rackers_vs_brown_should_be_int.html

General,

Do you see the Texans going after Ken Hamlin or Alex Brown?

Thanks!

{JRock, they have three ends in Williams, Smith and Barwin. They might check out Brown, but I don't see them signing him. He wants to start. As for Hamlin, he's not better than Eugene Wilson when he's healthy. They'll draft a FS to develop. -- JOHN}

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I stopped on reading after he ripped on Tupac.

16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

If there's a chance of Jon Busing still seeing some PT then hell yeah give Hamlin a shot.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I said yes but that's only a yes if we weren't looking at selecting Earl Thomas with our 1st or we feel he won't be available with the 20th pick and there are no other ball hawking safeties the front office have their eye on.

Off topic question: Whatever happened to Fred Bennett? I really liked the kid and his first games that he was given the opportunity to play he was fantastic. From there he was slated to start and never got back into form or panned out the way we expected.

How can a player digress and get worse? Could it be scouting finding his weaknesses and exploiting them or is he just plain bad? I'm just wondering cause we have to more barely 2nd year players starting and if this were to happen once again would that be the players faults or the coaching staff's?

I guess that was two questions, but I'm just trying to figure out how this happens/ed.

18. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

[​IMG]

19. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Ken Hamlin is washed up. Why is everyone obsessed with football players way past their prime?

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

he's 29