1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's vertical leap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zhaozhilong, Jan 12, 2003.

1. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Most of us know that Yao has not much of a vertical leap. Anyone ever thought that it is actually a good thing?

Because with the body height and weight that Yao's having, every leap and LANDING is shortening his career. He just can't affort to jump and land too much. If he really has to leap, he just leaps enough to get the job done, not a bit higher. (refer to the clip file put up by Air China in the thread "video of Yao's first T. Just leaped high enought to dunk. )

2. prlen

prlen Member

30 inches,enough!

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

He's already 7'5". Vertical leap is not
    that important.

What IS important is fast twitch muscles
    which will allow explosiveness and power.

Quickness in ones jump is more important
    than vertical leap.

Ever watch, PJ Brown, Elton Brand and Chris
    Webber rebound? All of them under 6'10"
    and can rebound like crazy!

Those guys don't have to be tall or jump
    high. They jump quick and know how to
    use their strength to box out.

He'll develop this with more strength training
    next year.

Now, just because Yao will do strength training
    doesn't mean that he will put on extra bulk.
    That's not necessarily true. He will gain some
    weight, but not much.

His lateral movement will improve too. That's also needed.

Vertical leap is good for players that are shorter,
    and want to be in dunk contest. But not for Yao.

What we need from Yao is strenght that
    can be put to good use: rebounding, blocking
    shots, boxing out, and scoring quickly.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Being interviewed after the Hawks game, Theo Ratliff said that one of the reasons he seemed to do well against Yao was because Yao didn't jump much. The other being that his move was predictable so he just played his right/shooting hand. This allowed him to swat Yao's shots.

5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yeah, I remember Ratliff talking about Yao
    shooting with his right hand.

I thought that was silly!

Yao can shoot with both hands (shots and jump
    hooks).

Also, Ratliff can move and jump quick! Yao
    can not yet. YET! :)

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

well ratliff has played yao well both times. so maybe yao can learn something from that and get better.

7. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Part of the reason Ratliff stops Yao is that the refs let him beat Yao up grabbing, pushing, holding and whatever else he wants to do. If Yao did that to Ratliff he would foul out of the game.

:D :D :D :D :D

8. Air China

Air China Member

I don't think vertical is important for Yao. I remember Manute Bol once said when he first tried to dunk, he chipped his teeth on the rim. I believe that Yao can jump higher than Manute because he has much stronger legs. Therefore, Yao only needs to jump as high as needed, defensively, at least. It was ugly to see Ratliff swats Yao's hook shot all the way back to halfcourt. Yao barely jumped on that play. He should be like Shaq and jump as high as he can when close to the basket. I know Yao is able to jam the ball jumping straight up from anywhere within the "charge semi-circle"(what's the proper term for it?). He should try it sometimes.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

well yao couldn't do that because he isn't strong enough yet.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe if Yao wasn't such a cream puff panzy and decides to DUNK the ball when he is 2 feet away, then we will see how good he can become.

Yao has to become more of a man, unless he wants to keep playing like a bag of Charmin....SOFT !!

DD

11. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Agreed! Hes persnickity. at times he real aggressive and at other times, hes soft. I don't know what's up with that. Hopefully, next season he can be the Ming with the technical without being called for the technical.

12. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

He really does need to dunk more often. I remember Yao was like 2 or 3ft away from the basket and he tried to lay it in and guess what...........he missed. Plz dunk the ball. I'm begging ya.