1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's toe (pulling a Shaq?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 1, 2004.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Yao scores 22 in China's win

National team hangs tough against Mavs' summer league team

11:36 PM CDT on Thursday, July 1, 2004

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News

FORT WORTH – Del Harris watched his Chinese National team fight for rebounds, hit the floor on intense charges and take accidental shots to the face. It was a physical style of play where the team wasn't expected to hold an advantage.

But when the buzzer sounded, the Chinese team had beaten a team Harris knows plenty about.

China left TCU's Daniel-Meyer Coliseum with an 85-80 victory against the Mavericks' summer-league team in exhibition play Thursday night. The Chinese did the dirty work to earn it.

They grabbed rebounds, eight more than the Mavericks. They made free throws down the stretch, six of seven in the final 1:09 and 24 of 30 for the game.

More importantly, they fought back from a five-point deficit in the fourth quarter.

"I'm proud of the way my guys fought through what I thought was a tough night," Harris said. "They kept their cool and played with heart. People say the Chinese are not tough, not physical. I think they proved them wrong tonight."

Yao Ming led China with 22 points and 11 rebounds, despite playing with a nagging left toe injury. He declined comment while walking gingerly out of the locker room.

"Yao's toes are not good," Harris said. "We're going to catch him up with a doctor [Friday], but for now, he's in a lot of pain. I know he's tough and can play with pain. Hopefully, he'll be all right."

The Mavericks shot 46 percent from the field but made only 10 of 18 free throws. Rookie Devin Harris led with 15 points, and Josh Howard and Rod Gregoire added 12 each.

Mavs assistant says Harris 'raw but talented'
    Mavericks assistant coach Charlie Parker liked what he saw of first-round pick Devin Harris, the heir apparent to the starting point guard position vacated by departing free agent Steve Nash.

"He brings maturity and tenacity to us," said Parker, who coached the summer-league team Thursday. "He is solid defensively, but offensively is where as a point guard he'll have to make his mark."

Harris finished with 15 points, three assists and two steals in 32 minutes, but he also had six turnovers. Parker expects the rookie to show more of what he can do while staying relaxed on the court.

"It's hard to tell after his first game. He's definitely raw, but he's talented," Parker said. "I really like what I saw from him."

Boddicker plays game before making NBA trips
    Former Longhorn and Duncanville standout Brian Boddicker scored five points in 17 minutes for the Mavericks. It will be his only appearance in a Mavericks summer-league uniform this season.

Boddicker will travel to Detroit on Saturday to work out with the Pistons, then travel to Utah on July 15 for a workout with the Jazz. What mattered to him most was having the chance to play his first professional game in the summer league in front of familiar faces.

"It was a lot of fun. You've just got to play as hard as you can," Boddicker said. "You may not think you're playing well, but someone in the stands watching you might think otherwise."

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Toe problem....he needs to get that sorted out.

DD

3. MustangPride73

This could be very bad guys his size have always been prone to feet injuries.

Hopefully this is just a on time thing.

4. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

I know Harris demands alot from his players but if its not asking too much the Rockets would like to have Yao in one piece once training camp begins..

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This does not sound good.

6. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

'tis the problem with drafting foreign players sometimes when their government's are opposed to it

then they want them for every olympic game :[

7. DeAleck

I am starting to second guess our drafting of Yao now after all these injuries. I think J-Will might turn out to be the safest pick due to health reasons.

8. forebay

forebay Member

easy. somedays ago (the previous game) he was stepped on by some one on his toe.

i do not see anything serious.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yao looked good tonight only once showing that there might be a problem with his toe. He was still the best player on the floor.

10. DeAleck

Man, if Yao isn't the best player on the floor in a game between the Chinese team and Dallas scrubs, we all need to leave the town of Houston tomorrow and never come back again.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The same JWill that may never play pro ball again because of a broken leg?

12. sup123

sup123 Member

is this true?

13. sup123

sup123 Member

all these injures? :confused:

What injuries

14. prlen

prlen Member

Are you going to hell? :D

15. DeAleck

Probably not, it's either heaven or San Diego. But even hell is better than Houston with a center worse than that Serbian stiff.

16. iball

iball Contributing Member

I think he was being sarcastic.

17. BigSexy

BigSexy Contributing Member

Uhmmmm.... I think (well, at least i hope) he is bein sarcastic......

18. feishen

feishen Member

:D
    If Yao was not the best on the floor in that game, T-MAC just got robbed.