1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao's name in Stats section

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by FlyWilliams, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. FlyWilliams

FlyWilliams Contributing Member

This is a minor complaint, but what is the site's policy regarding Yao Ming's name? I noticed that in the Stats section his first name is used while all other players are listed by last name.

FW

2. Omer

Omer Member

That's how NBA.com does it in their box score.

It says M. Yao in it.

I dunno, maybe it has to do with Chinese naming but Yao is commonly perceived as somewhat of a last name.

If someone could explain that would be great.

3. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Yao is his family name...Ming is his personal name.

It's just said the other way around in China (to the best of my understanding).

4. FlyWilliams

FlyWilliams Contributing Member

It's not that difficult to understand. In China and the United States, Yao is his last name. That's why his jersey reads Yao on the back. That's why NBA.com shortens his name to M. Yao. His first name is Ming, his last name is Yao.

The media calls him Yao Ming because that is the practice in China - lastname, firstname. It seems reasonable to use his last name in the Stats section just to be consistent.

5. kryten128

kryten128 Member

Change it to "Yao" in the stat section for consistency. I approve this message.

Or better yet, we can combine Yao Ming's name into "Mao", and he'll be known as Mao from now on, kinda like Madonna or Shaq.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

lol, this is a great idea.

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Referring Yao as "Ming" definitely has one benefit. When a fight broke out in Clutch BBS between "Ming" fans and McGrady fans, both sides started to call the other faction MOFs but soon enough they would realize it was a pointless exercise and thus stop fighting. That in turn saves Clutch from booting anyone.

#7 wnes, Nov 22, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's all the Chinese communists' fault. They arbitrarily decided to put Chinese people's last name first. Now let's invade China and straighten this out!

Bring democracy to China!!

Now have I succeeded to get this thread moved to the B&B? :p

9. Omer

Omer Member

Mm that's some useful information. So in China they say last name first then first name. Makes more sense.

10. skyxoxo

skyxoxo New Member

I'm a Chinese rockets' fan,Yao is the last name and Ming is the first name.It's the tradition in China.Wish rockets get over 60 wins this season and the champion in NBA Finals

11. Cesar^Geronimo

I wonder if that's a kind of respect your heritage thing -- putting those who came before you first and yourself second

12. rocketmingles

rocketmingles Contributing Member

that's the answer

13. Loop

Loop Member

normally when chinese immigrants move over to the US they flip their names for the purpose of less confusion. For example Yao Ming would be exchanged in favor of Ming (first name) Yao (last name). personally, i was rather surprised that yao didn't do this when he came over to the league but it's a minor detail.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

If you say his last name first, isn't that a first name?

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

As someone mentioned, that is how the NBA and all other stat places have it listed. It would be extremely difficult to go back in the database and alter every instance of it at this point, unfortunately.

16. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

hold on, so let me get this straight. Yao is the family name, Ming is his personal name.

so his father's name would be for example: Yao John

and one more thing, does his parents call him "Ming" or do they call him "Yao"?

anyone knows if Ming Yao has a nick-name?

17. jintian0411

jintian0411 Member

There is an interesting phenomenon in China .When a person is young, people always like to call his first name with a prefix amiably. Just like that when Yao was in his rookie year, most of Chinese fans called him little Ming.
    Now Yao has his fourth NBA year and had unusual longevity in the CNT compared to his teammates. So his CNT buddies call him big Yao.
    So if you are older than Yao, just call him little Ming or younger than Yao, call him big Yao.
    In China, it’s rare and weird to call somebody’s name with just a single word such as Yao or Ming with the exception of couples and lovers. Official press calls him Yao Ming.
    Sorry for my poor English, hope you guys can understand a little bit.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's interesting. I guess we should call him "big Yao" then.

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

But they don't call it 'last name' over there. I think they say 'family name'. If you ask someone what his/her last name is over there, I don't think the person would understand what you are asking. I guess the posters call it 'last name' here just to make it easier for everyone to understand what they are talking about.

20. Cali

Cali Member

No, "Mao" represents a great man in China..He lead Chinese open the country like Washington in the USA.