1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao's latest words about Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bob718, Jul 1, 2004.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

May someone please translate this chinese news into english please?
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2004-07-02/0915973197.shtml

Yao says he fully understand the league is all about business but losing Francis as a teammate is like losing a family member.
    He says Francis really helped him a lot in the past 2 years,
    ont only as a friend, but also as a big brother.

[edit]sorry, it should be "elder brother", not "big brother", my fault:eek:

#1 bob718, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  2. daNasty

daNasty Member

Francis? Who's he?

3. armada

armada Member

Its difficult for me to translate exactly. So I did partially. I hope someone will give a better and full translation.

>> the deal was done, you know? << I know you will ask me this question. Whether Chinese media or US media asked me, "Yao, How about your playing with T-mac?" ... Deals are common in NBA. Maybe tomorrow when I wake up, CD will telephone me I have to go to Bobcats. Since I have chosen NBA, I have to face the reality and adapt myself to the change.

>> Media think they(Francis & Cat) passed few balls to you, But dont you like they left, do you? << I admit I dont like they left. I still remember, when I first came to Houston, Cat and Francis gave me the No.11 jersey at the Compaq Center. Especially, Francis is of a great help to me. Hes my best brother, my best friend. I feel losing him is like separating from family, just like I left Shanghai team.

>> like Norris to NY ... << Francis had been sorry for a week, now me ...

4. FranchiseBoi86

I find this pretty ironic. A 7'6 man calling a 6'3 man a Big brother.
    :D

5. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

Ask him if his ankle sprain from practice is feeling better?

Yao: It is fine now. Everyone one the Chinese NT is working very hard at the moment because nobody wants to be the 3 guys that get left of the roster. Then he says *i think* the couch has been yellin his lung out during practices, which shows how intense these practices are now.

Lotta new faces around and the few vets left on the team. What do you think about the young guys?

Yao: Yi (is that his name) has improved tremendously. The last time Yao saw the was April this year and at the time, he wasn't very good. But now, he has gotten a lot better and the improvements are easy to spot.

Did you catch the NBA draft?

No, I only care about the Rockets. :p Yeah, he knows that Ha Seung-jin got picked, but he really expect him to go earlier. Somewhere in the late first round.

You know the T-mac trade has been completed?

I knew you would ask that. (gets a bit.. emotional) Right now, doesn't matter if its chinese or english media, all they ask is "How do you think you'll play with T-mac?" I have answered this question countless number of times already. NBA players are like merchandise. Trading between teams is such a common thing. You know, maybe one day I might wake up and recieve a phone call from CD telling me I've been traded to the "bobcats" . Well, I signed up in the NBA, so I have face reality. In the NBA, things are often unpredictable and everything can change.

Even though the media says they (cat, francis, cato) didn't pass you the ball enough, are you really okay giving up these players?

I admit, I really can't stomach seeing cat, francis and cato leave. I remember the first time I came to houston, it was cat and francis who gave me the jersey in compaq center. Especially Francis, in the past two years he has been my best elder (vet on team basically a mentor), best friend. Him leaving is like losing a family member, like me leaving ______(i'll fill it in when I figure out what that is).

Kinda like when moochie left?

At the time, Francis was upset about moochie leaving for over a week. RIght now, I feel the same way he did. After my rookie season, I said, " If I had a choice in picking the team I want to play on, I wouldn't even hesitate, it would be the Rockets." But now, it looks like I will have to start over.

*minor change, he did say rookie season*

#5 SaFe, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  6. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

:(

7. Just B

Just B Member

That last sentence pretty much sums up what i've been saying all along: trading Francis is a move the Rockets will live to regret.

8. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

I think what he means is "start over with all the new teammates".
    Yao wants to be a rocket, without a doubt.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

what if he doesn't like his new teammates? at least Mo Taylor is still here and Boki too

10. JING

JING Contributing Member

It's what you should expect from Yao. He has similar reaction after the Moochie trade. But he'll get over it in a week.
    He did enjoy Mark Jackson's passing very quickly.

11. xelloss12

xelloss12 Contributing Member

That last sentence is translated a bit off IMO. The actual translation is,

"If I had to choose an NBA team right now, I would choose the Rockets without hesitation. But the team will have to start over from square one again...." It does not say that Yao wants to start over and pick another team.

#11 xelloss12, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  12. xelloss12

xelloss12 Contributing Member

13. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

it's not "big brother" per se... it's a pure chinese term... like remember Kill Bill two? The cruel tutelage of Pai Mei? the term is like the relationship between Uma and Darryl Hannah... two people taught by the same SiFu (master), kind of like brother at arms? dunno...

anyway yeah... yao sounds really depressed about the trade. i guess he's just not used to people getting traded around, same thing last year when moochie got traded.

14. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

oooooo

last quote is not good news.........

15. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Great now we will have to deal with the rumors of Yao going to Orlando next off season. :)

I think you're right bob718. Hints of the sky falling is already showing it self in this thread.

16. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

I think Yao will get over it. Francis is a likeable guy, but by all accounts, so is McGrady. Both Yao and McGrady seem like the, laid-back, easy to get along with type. They should be able to bond well, both on and off the court. Hopefully winning will cure any ill feelin he has toward the Rockets and the way NBA does business.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am not sure just yet i am sure Yao also realizes that Les and CD want him to be the future of the organization and brought in the players that will help him the most, of course he will miss Francis and Mobley, they were the main guys when he came here 2 seasons ago. I think there is no reason to worry right now until he comes into training camp I am sure he will like the new guys just as much after he gets a chance to bond with them. also the new atmosphere that the rockets will have will impress him greatly. i expect the toyota center to be much louder this year more ppl will be attending our games with hte new addition of mcgrady. there will always be a level of respect between steve,mobley and yao that will never go away but yao knows the situation.

besides we have Boki

CD FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOW DO NOT TRADE BOKI AT ALL

18. sup123

sup123 Member

hopefully this translatoins is the right one

AND WINNING CURES EVERYTHING :D

19. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

Trust me, its is not translated wrong. You are implying him saying the team will have to start over when he never mentions the Rockets in the team sense. He is talking about relationships and all he says in the last sentence is "Now, everything will have to start over".

20. Raven

Raven Member

Even if YM forces a trade in two years, we would still have T Mac.