1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yao Ming Rejected for Taiwan Charity Visit, China Times Reports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jsmee2000, Aug 25, 2007.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Yao Ming Rejected for Taiwan Charity Visit, China Times Reports

By George Hsu

Aug. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Yao Ming, center for the NBA's Houston Rockets, was denied permission to visit Taiwan next month for a charity fund-raising luncheon, the China Times reported, citing Taiwan Basketball Association Deputy Secretary- General Wang Jen-sheng.

The Mainland Affairs Council on Aug. 23 verbally informed the association, which had submitted the application, of the Taiwanese government's decision, the Taipei-based Chinese- language newspaper reported. Yao, who is from China, was scheduled to arrive on Sept. 7, and planned to raise $200,000 for the island's charity groups, the newspaper reported.

No reason for the decision was given in the newspaper report.

Taiwan and China have been ruled separately since 1949, when communist troops took control of the mainland. China has threatened to invade Taiwan if the island declares independence.

To contact the reporter for this story: George Hsu in Taipei at georgehsu@bloomberg.net
    Last Updated: August 24, 2007 21:55 EDT

2. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Chinese basketball star Yao Ming seeks Taiwan visit

TAIPEI, Aug 25 (Reuters) - Famed Chinese basketball player Yao Ming, an all-star basketball player with the Houston Rockets, has applied to visit Taiwan on a trip that would score one for Beijing's agenda of uniting the two territories.

Yao is pursuing three Taiwan visas, two for competitions on the island and one for "sports exchanges," spokeswoman Corinna Wei of the island government's Mainland Affairs Council said on Saturday.
    China has seen self-ruled, democratic Taiwan as part of its territory rather than as a separate country since the island broke away from Mao Zedong's Communists after civil war in 1949. China has threatened to take the island by force, if necessary.

But over the past two years, the Beijing government has preferred a policy of cultural exchanges over military threats to bring the two sides closer together by appealing to racial links.

In principle, Yao should be allowed to visit Taiwan, even though island authorities sometimes turn away famous Chinese visitors to discourage their contact with local people, Wei said. Other Chinese athletes have visited as part of Taiwan's "long-standing" sports exchange programmes, Wei said.
    The National Immigration Agency is still processing the 26-year-old, 2.26-metre (7 ft 5 in)-player's visa because his sponsor keeps changing the proposed itinerary, she said.

3. howe070523

howe070523 Member

"invade" ?
    thats too harsh. Taiwan isnt officially a country yet and you never know whats gonna happen in the future --- trust me, U.S wont be dead starting a war with China on this issue.

the truth is China will definitely "invade" Taiwan if the island declares independence --- and its not that hard for a country has 2mil+ troops.

anyway, the point is why would they reject Yao's entry when hes just trying to do something good to their "country"?
    ;)

4. foo82

foo82 Member

Politics. My grandparents live over at Taiwan and there is a rift between the people there. Like here, there is two major political parties. The ruling party DPP wants complete independence (which they already technically have since they run and elect their own officials). This party pretty much wants to do away with any relations with China. Ironically, the opposing party Kuomingtang (who if you remember from history class fought against the communist party before fleeing to Taiwan to set up the govern ment there, wants to work with China.

Anyways, the ruling party is just exploiting people's fears and "patriotism" to get votes...kinda like what we have here.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

:eek: wow, big fan of communism aren't we, guy???

on the other side of the spectrum, i'm a huge fan of human rights, women's rights, religious freedom, freedom in general, and democracy, which Taiwan has been excercising for over half a century. i would HOPE the U.S. would be caught dead defending those principles via strong diplomatic rhetoric to deter China from ,yes, invading Taiwan. Irrespective of your opinion of the current administration, I do like how it's been clear from the get go that China would have multi-national military interference were they inclined to let go of any of all those missiles they have pointed at Taiwan or try to invade the democratic sovereign nation with their communist army. You don't think we won't? Remember the Korean War, or what the Chinese called the "War to Resist America and Aid Korea"? I personally would consider enlisting if China attacked Taiwan.

I'm a huge fan of Yao, but I can understand elements of why Taiwan is rejecting his visit, since honestly, Yao is cloaked in Chinese nationalism and really has become the icon boy for the Chinese status quo.

What would be further awesome is if Yao can have the courage to do one up on the shark fin soup issue and reject his Chinese citizenship, become a U.S. citizen and play for team USA against China.

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Where did you learn this BS?

7. chonox

chonox Member

hahahaha i find this hilarious, Yao's a good guy, chinese government, not so great, unfortunately Yao is the face of china, which taiwanese government may not be embracing with wide open arms... taiwanese government is messed up too, the president tried to fake his own shooting and his wife has been charged with insider trading and yeh its just stupid.

2 stupid governments take away great oppurtunities for good hearted people like Yao to raise up funds for charitable causes is how i see it :eek:

8. SmitingPurpleEm

That is total BS, for about 30 years after the war Taiwan supported terrorist attacks against the Mainland and repeatedly tried to assassinate our leaders. Jiang Jie-shi (Chiang Kai-Shek) and his son acted just like he did when he was President of China, he shot and sent people to jail he didn't like. "Democracy" in Taiwan is something that only happened about 10 years ago. Some sponsor of so-called "human rights".

Taiwan is an INALIENABLE PART OF CHINA. It is currently controlled by traitors who want to sell out the island to the Japanese and the Americans. They will NOT be allowed to do so. If they dare declare independence, we will promptly conquer the island and grind the traitors into dust. If you enlist, fine, I'll enlist on the right side and then we'll beat your sorry ass into the ground.

Yao will never betray us. He is a loyal citizen. Keep dreaming. Not everyone wants to sell themselves out to the Japanese and Americans like you traitorous dogs.

9. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Ahh Smiting's true colors come out and it ain't purple.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A few years ago, China's government was proposing to give a public zoo in Taiwan a couple of Pandas. And the Taiwanese government vetoed it for political reasons, thought it was propaganda.

I guess if you are afraid of Pandas, you probably don't want Yao in, either... in case the Panda fans and hoops fans get together and start working for reunification with China. :)

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This belongs in the D+D

12. naiveking

naiveking Member

Dear All Rockets Fans:

I'm a Taiwanese, and, btw, I'm the diplomat of this island country which had been recognized formally by the U.S. and most of the democracies in the world thiry years ago. Although my duty is to defend the national interest and de facto independence of my country, I certainly love Yao because of his outstanding performances in the NBA, his charity and great humor, and, especially, his working ethics and personality. Therefore, I felt deeply disappointed when I heard my government refused to issue him the visa.

But I felt more sorry when I saw few chinese fans declare my country as a part of The People's Republic of China. Their extremist statements are exactly the reasons that make more and more Taiwanese want to cut off the relationship (politically, culturally and economically) with China.

I don't want to talk politics here....this is a U.S. forum, which should not become the battle field of China and Taiwan. But I do want to say: "let's focus on the performace and endeavor of an individual (who is apparently a great one in both aspects), and put all the political disputes aside." My chinese brothers! I regard all of you as my good fellows not because of your nationality, but because of your support to Yao. We all love Yao and the Houston Rockets.....that's the most important thing.

In this forum, anything irrelevant to basketball itself should be ignored. We are all RED ROWDIES.......

If my opinion above makes you unhappy, please believe me that's not my intention.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

man, as soon as I saw the magical words, China, and Taiwan, I knew exactly what would happen.

14. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

I'm a chinese, and this is only my point of view

It is easier to talk about democracy than actually doing it.
    Compare to Mainland, taiwan is like a village, and yet they cannot handle their difference(especially races), and often resulted political chaos.
    on the other hand, the mainland government is handling the largest population on earth, and yet they can manage to develop the country's broken economics.
    You cannot just simply transform a central-power-government into a democracy-government over night, chinese are opening their market and trying to perform along the world, they are transforming theirselves slowly and stablely. Those transformation just takes time, you cant rush it. and I see it as the right way. what US has done to Iraq is the wrong way.
    although i disagree with many desicions mainland government has made, I see the over-all direction is right, and I personally feel there is more future in mainland other than the self-distracted politically-chaoic taiwan.

I dont really like politics, so I won't talk about this topic anymore. so why taiwan rejected yao's visit? because he is a communist? its laughable , i know alot people in the US dont view him this way. The taiwanese government has rejected every friendly signal mainland has sent to them, and at same time plays itself as a victim and seeking help from US, its just disgusting.

15. First Lady

First Lady Member

Where is that D&D police when you need him?

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

"invading" is the correct word. taiwan's been trying to fight for independence for so long now but china wont let them. im really glad taiwan denied yao's visit (since he is chinese)and i wouldnt have expected anything less.

17. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

by the way by "invading" they mean china's threat to bomb taiwan

18. naiveking

naiveking Member

I dont really like politics, so I won't talk about this topic anymore. so why taiwan rejected yao's visit? because he is a communist? its laughable , i know alot people in the US dont view him this way. The taiwanese government has rejected every friendly signal mainland has sent to them, and at same time plays itself as a victim and seeking help from US, its just disgusting.[/QUOTE]

-------------------------

Hello:

Excuse me. I disagree with your point of view. Taiwan IS a victim of the so-called "One China Principle" implemented by the PRC government. Yes, the PRC government did send some positive messages to my government, but it also did more negative gestures which do hurt the feelings of all Taiwanese (not only the DPP government).
    For example, I work in the Ministry of foreign affairs of Taiwan. I myself have participated in many diplomatic battles between Taiwan and China. Believe me-- I know exactly what the PRC government did to my government and people. It is relentless, merciless and totally cold. Chinese will never hurt Chinese? Ha.....the PRC has endangered the well-being of Taiwanese.
    For example, the PRC secretly requested Venezuela, the hosted country of the 2007 Youth Male Baseball Cup, to cancel the visas to Taiwan's representative team. those big boys were deeply hurted by this decision and cried in front of our national-wide media. Come on! they are just teenagers! How can they do anything bad to Chinese sovereignty? The PRC government always claims itslef as a peace-loving one and has promised "beside politics, taiwan is allowed to participate in culture, economy and sports"to Taiwanses thousands of times. Did it fulfill its promise?
    So even though I disagree with the "eyes to eyes, teeth to teeth" policy taken by my government (Taiwan has become a democracy, which should not behave like a totalitarian regime), I do suggest you chinese think about your attitude and policy taken by your government. If you really think we are brothers, you should not treat us like this.
    Period.

19. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

friendly signal? yea they were real friendly when they were threatening to bomb them a few years ago. obviously china was using yao as a way of luring taiwan to be a part of china. dont be so blind.

20. SmitingPurpleEm

TAIWAN IS A PART OF CHINA. All major countries in the world acknowledge the One-China policy, including the US, Japan, and its Western European allies. The only countries that have diplomatic ties with Taiwan are crappy 4th world countries that you bribed into having diplomatic ties.

Rest assured that Taiwan will NEVER be independent. If you traitors declare independence, we will conquer the island by force, and the Taiwan military is no match for us. If the Americans and Japanese come, we will fight them to the death.

We have offered you a peaceful solution out. If you don't take it and decide to become independent.... then you will be crushed into the ground. Your American and Japanese overlords can't save you.