1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming Fears His Return Will Disrupt the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Feb 8, 2007.

1. dram1

dram1 Member

They are still somewhat running the same offense when TMac gets the ball in the post, when they run the high p/r, when the pick will back out and give a little room for penetration and kick outs. The only real difference is that TMac has his shot back, confidence in his back, and is aggressive to the point that Yao might need to get out of his way at times as he is steamrolling to the basket.

All in all you take out Deke an put in Yao, and all those 15 ft shots that Deke cant sink are sure shots for Yao.

I am not worried at all. I actually worry more about his rebounding and shot blocking which can be suspect at times to go MIA, but if he puts up the offense as before, I'll sac a couple rebounds and a block for 26 points.

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

yeah, watch game 7 of that 7 game series again. both tmac and yao at full health, without any serious time apart to mess with the development of their chemistry during the regular season, and we got demolished.

nobody here questions the potential ownage that a team with yao and mac playing at their best would be. the problem is that more often than not, when 1 is rolling, the other is struggling. i do think tmac realizes now that he can still be a dominant scorer and a dominant playmaker on this team. i hope he keeps that mentality once yao gets back, and that he realizes you can have more than one scorer on the team. i dont see why tmac can't keep averaging close to 30 a game in addition to yao's 30. make it happen jvg!

3. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

I am not worried a single bit. Only wish Yao could improve his rebounding and blocking skills by watching Deke's play on type. No need to worry that Tmac's touch is gonna be taken away by Yao. No need to worry about Yao will block the lane and Tmac can't drive. I only worry about the other teams, it's unfair for them to play with a MVP Yao and a healthy Tmac. And finally when one is off the court, Bonzi/Deke isn't making their life easier.

4. emjohn

emjohn Member

It sounds nuts, but I would advocate bringing Yao off the bench his first week or two back, for the following reasons:

a) unlike 99% of the NBA, Yao wouldn't ego-trip over it.
    b) it removes a ton of pressure from Yao
    c) it allows Yao to slowly get back his conditioning, which is shot at this point
    d) it eases the transition of the offense
    e) it rewards guys like Mutombo that stepped up over the past couple of months

Look at what happened when Chris Webber cannonballed back into the Kings' starting lineup after missing a ton of games. He wrecked what had been a rolling offense by jerking it back to where he'd take 20 shots (only now he was misfiring because his legs weren't there).

When anyone returns from injury, it's usually another 1-2 weeks for them to get back to normal. We're in a fantastic position where we're winning w/o Yao, not looking to him to save our season. Take advantage of that grace and let him come back slowly. I'm not suggesting we Bledsoe him, but have him work his way back. Example:

March 9 vs NJN: return off the bench, 12 mins
    Mar 11 vs ORL: 17 mins
    Mar 12 @ Pho: 18 mins
    Mar 14 vs LAC: 22 mins
    Mar 16 @ TOR: 25 mins
    Mar 18 @ Phi: return to starting lineup, 33 mins
    Mar 20 vs IND: normal role and minutes

Evan

5. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

the playoff series vs the mavs saw tracy as the playmaker and yao as the second option. our high pick and roll was our go to play and that seemed to give us points every time.

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

If Tracy stays healthy, the rest of league is in for a world of hurt when Yao gets back.

I'd like to see more of a mix in the offense than before Yao went down, with about 40% of the time with Yao as the first option, 40% with Tracy as the first option, and 20% with other players as first option. This way the defense can't get into a rhythm on double teaming and switches.

7. eaglewu

eaglewu Member

I don't have a good game plan when yao come back, but I think JVG has it. So I don't worry.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

The problem with your logic is that is before Yao turned into a dominant player. In 2004, Yao was a very good player but he could only take what was given to him. It wasn't until TMac got hurt last season that Yao learned how to dominate.

Oh, and to characterize the Rockets as getting "demolished" in that series is a gross mischaracterization. If nothing else, how is a 7 game series getting domolished. If we lost 4-0 or 4-1 then maybe.

9. dwc13

dwc13 Member

There's no doubt that Yao's return will mean an adjustment period for the Rockets. If he's good to go sometime in mid-March, that means the Rockets will have played / practiced without Yao for 3 months. Timing, floor spacing, rotations, entry passes, playing time -- all of the players will all have to make some adjustments and refamiliarize themselves with playing with Yao. Luther will be beside himself with wide open 3 point shots when the opponents once again have to double team down low because Yao is on the blocks. Much as I love how Deke has played, opponents don't double team him on the few occassions when he gets the ball down low. Same goes with JHo.

The great news is the Rockets have team-oriented players, with their 2 stars being very unselfish and willing to help their teammates stay involved on the offensive end (are you listening, Carmelo Anthony?). That should help make the transition period shorter.

The Rockets have played admirably without Yao (and McGrady), which is a testament to their professionalism, talent, and competitiveness. Having Yao back might result in an initial step back while the team learns to play with him again, but when the 2nd season starts and everything is on the line, the team will be much better off having him back. The pace slows down, teams actually make a concerted effort to play transition defense and block out, so scoring becomes more of a premium. Having that dominant low post player who can draw double teams and fouls (and make FTs) will be invaluable. And our bench -- having played starters minutes much of the season because of injuries -- led by Mutombo, Howard, Head, and Wells will be (by far) one of the best in the league.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

Alston, Tmac, and Battier all know how to feed Yao. Yao knows how to feed them. It won't be a seamless transition, some rust has to be shaken off. But if we can get Yao rolling with Tmac's improved play there's NO ONE that can stop us.

11. kkuu

kkuu Member

Good point. Then the best 6th man in this league is created.

12. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Member

I'm not worried. At all. The rest of the Western Conference should be worrying. Not us. Not Yao. Not the Rockets.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I have said this a couple of times. People called me crazy. Try to get the game flowing through Tmac. then bring Yao in. I think this will happen for a few games at least.

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Yao should come out from the bench. We should continue to start Deke until playoffs comes.

We've been doing the same type of offense even without Yao. We've been posting up Juwan, Battier and even Tmac. The other option we do is a drive to the basket and find an open man when there's a doubleteam.

The only difference with our situation right now is that we're executing it more effeciently with LESS TURNOVERS. With yao posting up, he was making 2-3 TO's when passing the ball or driving to the basket. I guess that's one big difference.

So the lesson that Yao needs to focus on is to minimize his TO on the post and handle the ball well. If he continues to struggle in that aspect, we'll see him develop a close relationship with Billy. :)

I don't expect Yao to play the same minutes he's been playing before he got injured. Probably 20-25 minutes, unless there's a major trade comes up or during playoffs.

15. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Actually if you remember correctly, we were pretty good with him and T-Mac playing like CRAP. It was only after Yao went down that T-Mac started shooting well again. With both of them on, we'll be unstoppable.

16. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Member

I'm not worried. The offense might struggle at first adjusting to it for a very short time (3-5 games MAX). As it has been said the team was 14-6 before T-Mac went down. My main concern is T-Mac eases off a bit too much and focuses on getting Yao going too much. If he keeps it up, the Rockets will have two 25-point scorers - just sick. If the Rockets aren't victim to one of the worst officiated games ever (04-05 playoffs game 5), then they beat the Mavbricks. This team is not gonna be stopped if healthy.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

well thats a problem i dont mind so long as the team stays healthy once he gets back.

but i'd imagine that there will be a little adjusment period. however, the team has guys that have played with yao a while now. tmac/rafer/howard are the key guys. I think luther and chuck know the routine (luther should come on strong when yao ets back). And then there is battier, but i have no doubts that he will play smart. So the other key guy that has not had much time with yao is bonzi.

18. BigM

BigM Member

we saw glimpses of both of them playing dominant together against golden state and the washington game before tracy extended his back. it was nice.

yao in the post against single coverage is the most dominant play in the nba. with tracy at this level we don't have to dump it down every single time, but their sure going to look for yao every chance they can. the relief for tracy is doesn't have to dominate the scoring for 4 quarters when yao gets back, he just needs to be on the court and have the other team recognize his presence. with how unselfish both guys are this could be real real pretty come playoff time.

19. count_dough-ku

If I recall correctly, Shaq came off the bench in his first game back for the Heat.

20. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

As long as Yao disrupts the opponents more, there shouldn't be a problemo...