1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao just locks up Western conference POW honor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fa7999, Nov 12, 2006.

1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

with his performance tonight against Miami.

2. redeeming

redeeming Contributing Member

and still many to come!

YAO!

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

YAO FOR MVP

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

I wont be surprised if he is ripped again of POW.

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Zach Randolph's his only competition.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yep. He had a relatively tame game tonight (something like 20/9) so it should be Yao's.

7. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Yao led his team to 4 consecutive wins while Zack's team was 2:2 during the week. Advantage: Yao.

8. pearlon

pearlon Member

doesn't matter about other competition, unless they averaged close to 30 and took their teams to 4 straight wins as well

I'm liking Van Gundy's system. fmuck the announcers with them saying we can't have easy transition buckets. We don't need them. We get it our way, the dominant way.

9. ClutchCityReturns

Been paying attention to Zach Randolph this season? His team may not be 5-2, but at 4-3 the Blazers are definitely overachieving and a lot of it has to do with Randolph's efforts...

28.5 ppg
    10.5 rpg
    1.7 apg
    1.3 spg
    51% FG
    92% FT

Yao should get it, which I already agreed with, but it's not exactly a landslide.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i don't care who wins what. have you seen the standings? very nice! :cool:

11. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

uhh who is zach playing this week... he is not playing dwade and shaq right

12. ClutchCityReturns

Chris Wilcox
    Troy Murphy
    Kevin Garnett
    Elton Brand
    Lamar Odom
    Chandler/West (Yao played them as well)
    Dirk Nowitzki

So, basically a solid group of guys that includes no less than 3 MVP candidate type players, and at least one other All-Star level player. Is that impressive enough, or do you happen to be a YOF? ;)

13. pearlon

pearlon Member

Good points, but you missed my main point, which is Yao took the Rockets to FOUR STRAIGHT WINS while having the monster stats this week. The Rockets simply didn't lose. The Blazers lost twice and won twice. So yeah, I'd say Yao gets the POW by a landslide.

And no, I'm not a YOF. I despise terms like YOF and YOH. It's degrading to the Rockets and their fans.

14. ClutchCityReturns

I realize that, but I still take expectations into account. This is the Portland Trailblazers, who were picked by many to be the absolute worst team in the league. If each team kept winning at roughly the same pace, the Rockets would be a top 3 team in the West which is very impressive, but only slightly higher than expected. On the other hand, if Portland keeps winning at this rate, they'll actually make the playoffs which would be nothing short of amazing. As long as both players maintained a high level of production throughout the season, I'd say they'd both be in the thick of the MVP race. Same thing for POW, but on a much smaller scale of course.

Again, I agree that Yao deserves it and I definitely give him the slight edge this week, but Randolph (and the Blazers) have been VERY impressive considering expectations (and not having LaMarcus Aldridge). It's not a huge margin in my mind, especially since the media loves to jump on the new/surprise sensation which in this case would be the "new" Zach Randolph.

15. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Yao should be the lock w/ the 4-0 week.

Dosn't really mean much to me. Yao is more than capable for these type of awards. Look for many more to come as long the team keeps winning.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Now before the result of POW is announced, here's a complete look on the top two WC candidates:
    Code:
    Player	REC	MIN	PTS	FG-A	FG%	FT-A	FT%	OFF	DEF	TOT	BLK	AST	3PT-A	3PT%	STL	TO	PF
    Yao	4-0	36.25	29	44-79	0.557	28-31	0.903	1.75	9.5	11.25	2.5	2.25	0-0	n/a	0.5	4.75	4
    Zach	2-2	36.25	28.25	35-71	0.493	42-47	0.894	3.75	6.75	10.5	0.75	1.25	1-2	0.5	1.75	3	2.75
    - Yao and Randolph played exactly the same minutes ... lol.
    - Yao is clearly a better shooter with distinct higher field goal shooting percentage.
    - Randolph grabbed more offensive boards but Yao maintains the lead on total rebounds.
    - Both shot extremely well from the free throw line as big men.
    - Advantages to Yao on blocks as well as assists (what a pleasant surprise here).
    - Randolph did better than Yao on steals, turnovers, and personal fouls.
    - Team record, Yao hands down. That is indisputable and should be given with considerable weight over such hoopla as *media expectation*. Besides, Yao played 3 out of 4 games on the road, with back-to-back earlier in the week. Randolph has one advantage, which is 3 consecutive 30+ games, but not much else.

It will be a travesty of objectivity, fairness, and justice if Yao doesn't win the WC POW.

17. ClutchCityReturns

Did they do POW awards for the first few games? I didn't think they did, therefore I figured that the first few games might be taken into consideration even if they weren't technically this week. That's one reason I consider it a bit closer between Yao and Zach.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

They sure did last week, i.e., the very 1st week of the season. I don't see why they won't do it for the 2nd week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=nbaplayersoftheweek&prov=st&type=lgns

19. prisonbreak

prisonbreak Member

LOL

Yao deserves that! He didn't get enough respects from those professionals, especially when he was only selected as the 3rd team center. :mad:

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=148441
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Deveney's SportingBlog
    The real Yao Ming finally steps forward
    November 13, 2006

1. Player of the Week: Yao Ming, Rockets. Seems we're finally seeing that Yao we were promised back when he was the top pick in the 2002 draft. In a 4-0 week for the Rockets, Yao averaged 29 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. More than numbers, though, Yao looked mean and confident, the way he looks when he plays for the Chinese national team. He was posting and re-posting. He was waving for the ball, shouting for the ball, demanding the ball. He had an emphatic dunk on a pick-and-roll with Tracy McGrady late in Sunday's win over Miami (yes, he crushed Shaq. Alonzo Mourning, too). McGrady has struggled, and Yao has made it clear that he can carry the load when that happens. For a week, at least. Rockets fans will want to see a year of this Yao before they start dreaming of championship trophies, but Yao seems to be in the best shape of his career, looking perky even in fourth quarters. In past years, he spent most of the fourth quarter either on the bench or clutching his shorts as he tried to get his wind. Not anymore.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

my favorite compliment is how he says yao ming looks "mean"
    YUS!