1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao in the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nikos, May 20, 2005.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

I know there must be opinions on this topic in other threads, but I just wanted to start a new thread on it.

Yao in general for the minutes he was on the floor was very productive and efficient in the playoffs. If you go on a per minute basis he was probably as productive as anyone in the playoffs, at least offensively and in terms of statistical production.

Sure he did not have the defensive impact that his height suggests he might be able to have. Sure he committed some bad fouls and took himself out of the games at times because of it. Not to mention at times he did this as a result of fatigue.

In general how pleased or displeased were you with Yao's performance? Did he put up empty stats? Would you say in general he stepped up in the playoffs behind Tmac and just did not have quite the support to beat Dallas this season?

What is the general consensus on Yao's play in the playoffs?

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I thought Yao was alright, he played well a couple games, I think he was in foul trouble in a couple but the bottomline, IMO, is that we're going to need much more out of him consistantly in the future..

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yao showed what he is capable of doing to other teams. But he needs to do it consistently, he would show up for a game and then dissappear for the next 2, and then show up for the next.

The best players show up for every game and make teams pay every game. Hopefully that is something Yao will start doing.

4. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

I think he showed GREAT strides against Dallas. I hope that those good performances make him realize that he can dominate!! I was very pleases....he just needs to stay out of foul trouble.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Yao has shown that he can play great

the problem is his consistency, just not sure if it caused by his lack of stamina/conditioning or lack of desire/motivation or both

6. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

3 of the 4 games at Dallas he scored 30 pts or more. He did just alright at home so I would love to see him be more consistent.

It was still a huge improvement from his performance at the playoffs last year.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Like JVG said Yao's under-rated in the league right now. I think he's saying this from basketball coach stand of point of view, not because he is a homer. His weakness is glaring, but he might be the most valueble players outside likes such as Shaq, Duncan. Just be patient, we will be rewarded.

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I thought Yao played fine, but remember that these per 48 minute stats get jaded when don't factor in the PF. If I thought I could produce offensively at the expense of fouling frequently, my numbers would be great (per 48), but my PT would suffer.

It's not always how well Yao performs, but how well others play when he's in the game.

Hopefully, Yao doesn't suffer through the fouls as much next year. It's not always his fault. He puts himself in difficult positions sometimes out of desparation. Sometimes, it's the fault of others. Mostly it's Yao though.

Just a thought.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought he did great and more than I expected. McGrady and Yao were the two best players in the series. Unfortunately, no other Rocket broke the top 10. With more legit starters and a little depth, we'll be great.

10. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

His rebounding was still pathetic. Not even had one super rebounding game the whole series. Averaged only 7+ rebs in the series while Amare is averaging 13.80 rebs against Dallas. People are saying Amare is scoring more pts because of Nash. But what about the rebouding? Any excuses? Amare got critized by Barkley about his defense rebounding and he responed with 18 boards the other night. That was greatness.

Yao's weakness:

1. Consistency.
    2. Condition (It has a huge impact on his consistency).
    3. Rebounding
    4 Controlling his fouls.

He is far from being dominate. Right now he is a player between top 10-20 in the league while Amare definitely belongs to top 10.

#10 ivanyy2000, May 20, 2005
    Last edited: May 20, 2005
  11. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

His performance was hurt by foul trouble. He was pretty consistant when ref allowed him to stay on the court.

12. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Yao played well in the playoffs, and if he continues to be more and more aggressive and forget about the refs, he will have a great career.

THe one thing about not being able to jump...there's not much damage to your knees...

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm so sick of seeing this...the word you're looking for is DOMINANT, dominate is a verb.

p.s.
    you're overcritical of yao, and amare is overrated.

14. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Yao averaged 30 min in the series, while Amare averaged about over 40 min against Dallas.

Yao is shotting better and blocking more while playing 10 min less. He could have done better, but I am happy with his overall performance against Dallas.

The thing that I did not understand is why his performance dropped so much at home against Dallas than on the road.

Sure Yao is far from being dominate.;)

15. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

#15 RocketForever, May 20, 2005
    Last edited: May 20, 2005
  16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Yeah, playing time is one of the reasons.

Another thing I found very interesting is the difference in the total number of rebounds between the Suns games and the Rockets games.

For the first 5 games in the Suns and Mavs series, the total rebounds of both teams averages 92 per game.

For the 7 games in the Rockets and Mavs series, the total rebounds of both teams averages only 79 per game.

So there are more rebounds available to grab in the Suns games. I think that can be attributed to the style of the game they play.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yao has really improved. But Yao looked AWESOME when he had Tmac set him up much like how Nash sets up Amare. If Yao and Tmac can continue that cohesion next year they will be a tough tandem to stop. And will be even tougher if we can add a 3rd scrorer to the team to keep defenses more honest.