1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yahoo Sports: Spurs name Mario Elie assistant coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=spurselieassistant&prov=st&type=lgns

Spurs name Mario Elie assistant coach

September 4, 2003
    SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) - Mario Elie, a member of three NBA championship teams, is back with the San Antonio Spurs.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich on Thursday named Elie as an assistant coach after losing Mike Brown, who was hired as an assistant by the Indiana Pacers.

"We're all very happy to welcome Mario Elie to our staff," Popovich said. "He'll once again be an important part of our organization. As a player Mario always exhibited a good knowledge of the game and his attitude and work ethic will serve him well."

Elie played for the Houston Rockets' back-to-back championship teams in 1994-95 and for the Spurs squad that won the title in 1999.

"I'm extremely excited to join an extraordinary group of players and coaches," said Elie, who played two-and-a-half seasons with San Antonio. "The Spurs have a great organization and it is the perfect place for me to start my coaching career. I'll be able to learn a lot from Coach Pop and his staff."

In his 11-year career, Elie appeared in 732 regular season games, averaging 8.6 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.6 assists.

A seventh-round pick in 1985, Elie played for Philadelphia, Golden State, Portland, Houston, San Antonio and Phoenix. Prior to making his NBA debut with Philadelphia during the 1990-91 season, he played in Portugal, Argentina, Ireland, the USBL, the WBL and the CBA.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member