1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Y2K Bug Drastically Changes US Climate Data

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jumanji, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=26606_Y2K_Bug_Drastically_Changes_US_Climate_Data&only

I am sure Al Gore will be out front on this....or not. :rolleyes:

======================================
    Y2K Bug Drastically Changes US Climate Data

Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 10:38:56 am PST

According to the DailyTech blog, the NASA temperature data used to estimate the advance of global warming has been shown to be way off the mark, due to a Y2K bug in the graphing software—and the corrected charts tell a very different story: Blogger Finds Y2K Bug in NASA Climate Data.

NASA has now silently released corrected figures, and the changes are truly astounding. The warmest year on record is now 1934. 1998 (long trumpeted by the media as record-breaking) moves to second place. 1921 takes third. In fact, 5 of the 10 warmest years on record now all occur before World War II. Anthony Watts has put the new data in chart form, along with a more detailed summary of the events.

The effect of the correction on global temperatures is minor (some 1-2% less warming than originally thought), but the effect on the U.S. global warming propaganda machine could be huge.

2. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

I did get some satisfaction out of that article just because I can't stand the overblown histrionics surrounding the global warming theorists. So much for those climate models.

If indeed we are experiencing warming, I'm in the camp that believes it will push us into a big chill once the ocean convection currents shut down and stop distributing equatorial heat to the northern latitudes. To the debate forum! gogogogo

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

holy crap, is this right??

and 5 of the 10 warmest years occur before WWII??

4. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Yawn, how many of you actually read that thing? If so, how many actually understand what that guy did?

Calling the bug a Y2K by-product is misleading. US happened to change the temperature measurement procedure in 2000. Could had happen in any year. Thus as correctly pointed out, there is a slight inconsistency in the 5 years averaging window used to compute the mean. The affect data only applies to US.

The effect on worldwide temperature record? Nil.

The effect no US temperature record? Very little. "But the effect on the U.S. global warming SKEPTIC propaganda machine could be huge." The blogger surely stir up the pot with that blog. Please, your effort can stand on its own merit, adding bias the blog would only diminish the integrity of the article.

BEFORE the data correction, 4 of the 10 warmest year occur before WWII.

But by all means, please completely overblown this correction. I mean if a guy mixed up "its" and "it's" in an article, he is now statistically a liar and will not be allowed to touch a pen ever again, right?

5. MadMax

1st of all....eassyy. it's ok.

the article never suggests it does anything but measure the effect on the US temperatures.

5 of the 10 warmest years accor before WWII. out of curiousity, do you know how many years we've been measuring in this way? if it's around the turn of the century...there were less years before WWII than after.

6. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

7. MadMax

great...

so if 1880 is my start date.

1880 - 1939 = 59 years

1940 - 2007 = 67 years

So 5 of the 10 warmest years in the US occurred in the first 59 years the data was recorded. And the other 5 were recorded in the 67 years since. Trend?

8. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Haha, none. Drawing observation from a small subset of data is often has little significance. Especially when the data is being fit into a non-established model. :p. It can however provide some awesome sound bites, which is what the blogger did by implicating GLOBAL warming with US dataset.

PS: stat is hard and dry. :p

9. MadMax

this is the problem, though. i agree with you. we have very limited information.

and i must say...i would assume that if the globe is warming, that the US ought to be as well. otherwise, it's something less than GLOBAL warming. which is part of the point made in the thread about this in D&D right now.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The effect of the correction on global temperatures is minor (some 1-2% less warming than originally thought)
    ______

This is just the 'evolution revisited' thread in the D & D ~ the fringe will pounce on this saying global warming is not happening when in fact we are talking about a 1-2% correction.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

but also . . . any doubt on a 'established theory' is dismissed out of hand
    . . .not unlike that scientist say religious people do . . .

amaznig when your side dismisses something .. . the other is just picking
    but
    If the other side does it .. they are ignorant Zealots

Rocket River
    Shouldn't QUESTIONING be good for all sides?

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have to admit, sometimes I have a hard time understanding what point you're trying to make...?

I think KingCheetah was talking about the fringe. There are r****ds on the fringe on all sides of all debates. Sometimes their opinions have merit, but very infrequently.

I think what's important in the Global Warming debate, at least for me as a layperson, is what do the majority of accredited scientists believe...and it seems pretty clear to me, most of them (1) question by default, and (2) believe Global Warming is definitely a problem, to varying degrees.

I'd be very very very surprised if this blog changes any of their opinions on that.

13. MadMax

but isn't global warming nothing more than a MINOR fluctuation in temperature? we're not talking about temps rising 10 degrees on average. we're talking about the consequences of them rising 1-2 degrees. right??

i'm not the fringe...i'm just not a scientist of any kind, so i have no idea. i can only read what others say about it. i'm not out there testing ice samples. i'm not sawing through trees to read information from the rings.

the danger here, to me, is labelling anyone who dares question as "the fringe."

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This is pointless. There is an almost worldwide consensus (among scientists at least) that global warming is 99% real.

That data only changes things if the dates are BEFORE industrialization. Even 60 years ago we were burning fossil fuels and dispensing them in the ozone. Think of how many coal power plants there were.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Before we get too deep into this -- is there another source besides a blog?

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In my understanding this statement is more or less correct. Average global temperatures since the beginning of the 20th century have risen about .7 degrees (before any adjustment this might cause) and the little ice age was about .2 degrees. I seem to want to say that the consequence are supposedly described as a bit larger - more like 4-6 degrees in the near term - but that is just off the top of my head. I think in the longer term there are some more severe predictions.

Three things:

1. The site that actually discovered the story, http://www.climateaudit.org, has been nonfunctional since this was posted here, and the only thing that comes up is an error message in Czech or Slovenian or something similar. I would like to get it from the horse's mouth.

2. As stated above I can't get the story from the source but supposedly the data error only effects data on North America. I'm sure some people will think my mentioning this is some sort of cop out but it is very relevant as all along people have been saying the picture is only clear when examined as a whole.

3. With the exception of the littlegrerenfootballs link, every blogger's story and every post here that champions this story seems to be as much about 'sticking it' to Al Gore or the environmentalists as any real concern over the science. That this is universally becoming like a D&D political debate where people revel in the schadenfreude is disturbing to me.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

99%?
    What is Concensus? 51%? 60%? 80%?

a concensus of PEOPLE beleive in a higher power. . .

Rocket River

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Keep trying to convince the world that the Earth is flat Rocket River. As you say, questioning is good for all sides.

19. ham

ham Member

Yes, let's just never solve any problems, as long as there's at least one idiot who doesn't think they exist.