1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y!] More viewers tuning into NBA, not just for Heat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by abc2007, Dec 22, 2010.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiUfS5EJ4JUC1lDrT9Fb__q8vLYF?slug=ap-nbaratings

NEW YORK (AP)—More viewers are tuning into the NBA—and it’s not just the fascination with the Miami Heat.

Television ratings for games on ESPN and TNT are up more than 30 percent so far this season compared to last year.

Sure, the Heat are drawing big audiences after a summer of free agent intrigue concluded with LeBron James(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes) joining Dwyane Wade(notes) in Miami. Ratings for Heat games on ESPN have increased 69 percent from last season.

But take out the five matchups involving Miami, and the network’s NBA coverage is still up 23 percent from a year ago.

“It tipped off with a great deal of interest about the Heat and about ‘The Decision,”’ NBA Commissioner David Stern said last week, “and it seems to have gone from there, when the story lines have unfolded were not about the Heat initially—except about their struggles—but about San Antonio, New Orleans’ start, the Knicks’ start, the Lakers’ start and the Lakers suddenly stumbling a little bit, the Celtics’ strength.

“It’s across the board,” Stern said, “a whole variety of story lines.”

The successes of several prominent franchises have boosted viewership numbers. Ratings for ESPN’s games are up 58 percent in Los Angeles, 56 percent in Boston and 36 percent in New York.

“It’s sort of all jelling in a way,” Stern said, “and our broadcasters are reaping the benefits of it, which is terrific for us because they’ve made this huge investment in us over the years.”

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Funny, cause I haven't watched a single TNT game now that the Rockets were banned from national TV.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Same. I've watched fewer national tv games this year than I have in many, many years.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the NBA def picked up more casual fans this year from what i see due to its many storylines

lakers 3peat?
    lbj new villain
    lots of new stars coming up

5. AggieRocketsFan

Now if he can finally stop Kobe from telling the refs "f*** you" on television then it will finally be viewable for children as well.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

houston is banned in the US but not China... funny how that works eh

7. Classic

Classic Member

Don't forget, Obama hoops.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Love the Rockets as much as ever, but getting less and less interested in the NBA as the years go by.

Their constant shoving of a few superstars down our throats and the refs have completely ruined the game for me.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Sports on tv is still an entertainment product and still a breakaway from everyday living. I havent watched many NON-Rockets games but when I do its mostly cuz I'm just tired of focusing on life struggles and bad news and just want some mindless SOMETHING to pay attention to.

Also, maybe dynasties are better for NBA viewership than league parity.

And of course milking the big markets always helps. Who woulda guessed LA and New York/Boston is part of the league's focus? Add in Blake Griffin in LA and its added attraction.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

screw the children, it makes good tv

11. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

man. too bad about the lockout though. they need to do something about that. it would be really stupid to not have basketball for a year just because of some contract issues

12. mrjuandiego1988

the very first "story" line was bird and magic saga! after that nba figured out that they game needed these story lines to get viewership! wish it wasnt like that, so we could weed out the real fans from the soap opera fans! ;)

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Too bad there is a lockout looming that would kill all momentum it has picked up this season.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

I was kind hoping the NBA would hit an all time low in viewership and fans, so that sperm would get the boot. Too bad the whole Miami "superfriends and their pet" kinda shot that down to the ground.

15. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Exactly.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

I hope their is not a lockout in basketball and football. That is just too much.

17. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yeah, I thought the NBA would get closer to their Jordan era ratings status this season as well (I didn't think it would jump 30%, but that's good news).

Casual fans (and people in general) prefer watching superstars, which is why the heat will draw higher TV ratings than the 2004 pistons even though the pistons were champions. (and the reason for "star only fans")

Say what you want about Stern, some of his moves have been brilliant (unless he allows a lockout, which would void any progress). The NBA is now pretty much a global league and sport similar to how the top soccer leagues overseas influence the world and U.S. soccer.

Things like making the NBA accessible to the growing Latin community in the U.S.(having teams wear jerseys in Spanish), cultivating basketball in foreign countries (drafting more foreign players, holding exhibition games overseas, and fostering foreign youth basketball camps), making the Ene-Be-A campaign, and it may not be as popular, but the WNBA brings more female fans to the NBA and makes the sport that much bigger as well.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wonder how many games the Clippers will have, that are nationally broadcast.

They might have had one before the season started, but with the emergence of Griffin, Stern might want to plug some Clips games onto the schedule.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The reason Stern has stayed around so long is he has been very good at growing the revenue pie for owners. I dislike him strongly but profit overrules everything.

I doubt there is a long lockout next year (or any lockout) because both sides realize there is so much at stake. The continual string of good news about the NBA's finances will soften the owner's stances when negotiations really get down to business. Ignore the recent public posturing that is purely for public consumption.

When New York, LA and Boston are all relevant it's good for the NBA business model. The Heat add to that. IMO, another huge factor is the emergence of so many marketable stars. These are golden years for NBA fans because stars drive this league.

I rarely watch TNT games, partly because I resent how the NBA limits the schedule on Thursdays to force you to watch TNT. With LPBB, I'm used to having multiple choices and I refuse to reward that kind of behavior. I won't be herded. Thursday is when I fire up the DVR and catch up on my shows or work late into the evening.