1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Y’all are ungrateful & need to show KPJ some love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PatBev, Apr 6, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dear OP, feel free to be disgusted with the Management, the Ownership......

And please refrain from Opening the Pandora's Box......you did it anyhoot.

javal_lon likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Let's not sweep under the rug that he was awful as a SF, and he himself hated playing SF.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

I want KPJ to do well, but god damn does he miss so many reads with the ball in his hands. That has to get better if he’s going to be a point guard. If you can’t see that, then I can’t help you.

4. anchel

anchel Member

One of the most dangerous things about tanking is that people gets happy with the stats of the young guys, and the worst team in the NBA history had a couple of guys scoring 20 and puttin up some numbers. It does not equal to being good at basketball or helping your team winning. The help at winning eventually translates in some victories. We are the worst team in the league for 2nd consecutive season for a reason. The single worst.

Nobody is denying KPJ talent, which is huge and that's clear. But there is a reason why we suck, why we are the worst defensive team in the NBA by far, and there are reasons to explain why we play such bad quality basketball added to the non-existent defense. He certainly can do numbers, and still bears an important responsibility on the fact that his team sucks.

The worrying part to me is that he's finishing his 3rd NBA season and keeps showing terrible winning habits. His body language, competitiveness, effort, overall intensity level, attention to details, is extremely irregular to say the least.

Next year will be his 4th season and will start it with the same old losing habits, and my feeling is that the franchise is OK with it as long as he keeps improving his numbers. But this is not about his numbers, we knew he would be capable of putting good numbers, he's very talented. What we didn't know and still haven't seen is if he can change the losing habits. You can't be serious about winning if you keep defending 30% of the time; if you don't want to sprint back after a miss; or if you decide to go under almost any screen. You can't count on somebody like that, can't build a winning project with a starting PG like that.
    You can be young and weak, erratic, unexperienced, bad fundamentally... but you can't be young and apathetic, lackadaisical and that lax.

He needs to be tested with harder coaching or he's definitely strenghten the bad habits for his whole career and becoming a certified loser (a very talented loser).

#64 anchel, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  5. anchel

anchel Member

BTW, I like the guy, seems like a good dude and a good teammate, everybody speaks well about him. But he needs to totally change his approach if he wants to win at this level.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree, people get accustomed to losing.

7. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

Yes, the frontcourt has absolutely no semblance of rim protection, and young players with inconsistent rotations have no ability to switch and rotate effectively. Even in the backcourt, KPJ is far better than his running mate. All are young, and all will improve, but to put bad defense and losing squarely on Porter is absurd.

jiggyfly and PatBev like this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Mention KPJ or Green in the title.... Dissention follows!... Posters sit back in anticipation of direct dialogue with adversaries... Rinse ... Repeat...

jiggyfly and don grahamleone like this.
  9. PatBev

PatBev Member

I agree that next year he should be held to a higher standard. To me next year we should be in a play in & competing

KPJ was drafted during the bubble year in Cleveland so im gonna botch that season. Second year was traded and sent to g league to play point guard and rejoined a team lead by John Wall after James harden bamboozled the franchise. This year he was given full time point guard with two of the most selfish players trying to get their minutes in Wood & Gordon and a roster not built to win.

I actually think KPJ is one of our better defenders. Our defense is terrible because our front court is atrocious. As long as Tate is starting at power forward I will consider this team tanking. They are super young so I’ll judge them on there defense these next coming years

He shouldn’t be given a pass after next year though. If him & Jalen can’t figure it out after next year, Silas shouldn’t be given a pass either, then it’s time to move him to small forward. We should have massive cap space around that time and I say we go after a star point in free agency. Having young talent like KPJ/Green/Sengun/jabari or Chet? Should be able to attract a point. Sh*t maybe we get Morant with how much he shouts KPJ & green on Twitter

I just think he’s done great with the circumstances he’s been given. Stone has given him a tanking team and told him to play point. I think for first year rebuild and should be excited with the possible backcourt we have and other pieces. I watch these games with a smile despite some of the more bone headed things KPJ does lol. I just realize how young they are and the dynasty when they hit like age 23-24

We gotta fix that front court tho

FrontRunner and cmlmel77 like this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The only good thing about his play is that it may allow us to get a decent 2nd round pick when he’s traded this offseason. He’s got talent, but not the mentality to stay in this league long term. Cavs gave him up for nothing last year and we almost gave him up for nothing this year….can’t wait to see what happens next year!!!

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

He's a talented 6th man forced to be a starter and does not strike me as a leader either. I'd rather keep him as the 6th man but he'd rip up all the seats in toyota center if the rockets did that

jcmoon and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's kind of to be expected though. the better KPJ plays, the more the cult hates him.....and they hated him when he was playing absolutely terrible.

At this point, you just kind of have to ignore the mindless cultists, they are going to spew their toxic BS because to them it's just their way of worshipping Green.....despite the fact that the target of their BS is one of their deity's friends and a player who helps him perform better.

If they were Rockets fans, you could expect better, but they aren't. They are player only fans.

PatBev likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Naw. I've been a fan long enough to not be easily fooled. KPJ is a 6th man if I ever saw one. I'm happy he had an entire season to basically do whatever he wanted including walking out on his team twice. I hope he can deal with the attention next year's rookie will receive without being emotional about it.

14. Tmac1Yao11

Tmac1Yao11 Member

When the game gets tough and the oppoent plays hard defense, he quits. Imagine him playing a Playoff series or teams start game planning for him ...
    He is just not a winning basketball player, empty stats on a bad Team.

Yung-T and cheke64 like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

this is ridiculous, but let’s say the Rockets do want to move him. I guarantee the Lakers would give you that 2027 pick that they wouldn’t give for wall, Wood, or Gordon. KPJ is an up and coming star. This was a developmental year and he improved his defense and turnovers which what everyone said he needed to do. Next year hopefully he improves his court awareness. If he doesn’t we give him a try at sf or sixth man.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

Delusion.

don grahamleone and jcmoon like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Our 2 starting Attacking Guards are 20 and 21 - and both just went for 30......wtf is wrong with people not enjoying that in a **** year?

DD

18. REEKO_HTOWN

if KPJ didn’t meltdown twice and quit on the court multiple times I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Green even while struggling never quit

don grahamleone and Yung-T like this.
  19. Denovo

Denovo Member

We brought in a player with known internal issues and for some reason fans expected these issues to disappear overnight.

Rehabilitation isn’t a quick process and relapses happen.

Ill never understand the lack of patience for individual player development on a team that can barely win 20 games.

jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  20. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

When did we “almost give him up for nothing”? Nobody suggested that except morons on bulletin boards … the same ones who say he is only worth a 2nd round now.

jiggyfly and Denovo like this.