1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade A. Johnson for N. Asomugha???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets934life, Oct 2, 2009.

1. rockets934life

While I think that Andre is the best reciever in the league, offense isn't the issue and we are pretty much loaded at reciever along with having a top 5 TE who can help pick up the slack.

Asomugha and Robinson would automatically make the secondary infiintly better and solidify the "D".

Raiders do it because Al Davis LOVES him some WRs who can make big plays and Andre fit that role perfectly along with giving Russell some much needed help so he doesn't have to be so accurate on his passes.

Texans do it because Andre has been around a while and isn't getting any younger, worse case we draft a stud reciever in the draft to pair with JJ, Walters and Daniels.

Thoughts?

2. Rockets34Legend

I would ask for N. Asomugha, next year's #1 and #2 to make the trade. Straight up - we would get ripped in the trade.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Seems like a lateral move at best. It's hard to believe Kevin Walters, David Andersen, Jones, Davis would be nearly as consistently effective without Andre as the #1 threat. Owen would still be good, though, I think,

You would get better on defense (though I think its about time people stop putting Dunta up there as a defensive stud...he's not exactly been great this year), but lose on offense.

The team doesn't need to get better on defense at the expense of offense. It needs to get better on defense, period. I understand you've got to get the players somehow, but it is probably through a different GM making smarter defensive draft picks and FA moves.

4. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Asomugha has sucked this season

5. meh

meh Member

I'm pretty sure the cap hit from accelerating bonus money would make any Andre Johnson trade unfeasible. That is, unless the Texans are throwing the towel on the season and trade him for a bonanza of picks.

Even assuming the money works out, our secondary is more than just a shutdown corner away from respectability. I'd rather get a couple of younger defensive players with potential and picks for Johnson instead.

6. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

NO way. Asomugha is not going to fix the D. and The offense would stall because you took away the big play threat and you take away the best hands on the team

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sucked?

You mean like last week when he held Eddie Royal to 1 catch for 4 yards?

:rolleyes:

8. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

No. Texans problem with defense isn't limited to secondary only.

9. rockets934life

While I really don't lean either way it was just a thought that came up with the Texans playing the Raiders this week, I am suprised everyone said they wouldn't do it. Our "D" has NO legit secondary players minus DRob and Asomugha would mean the other teams best Wide Recievers would be elimated thus DRob could help shut down the number 2. We could load up the box more often and Demeco/Cushing could help on the pass rush/run "D" so I would think that would help fix many of the issues the team is having on the "D".

Losing Andre would be a blow to the "O" but we have enough players to make up for it till Kubiak could draft a stud reciever or pick someone up in FA(Don't know who would be avilable). Our Offensive would have to adjust but I think it would be far from a crushing blow.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I think the passing game is all we have right now. Asomugha would help, but our defense would still suck.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It would be a stupid trade, the Texans need safety and DT help first and foremost. Asomugha can't cover a whole team and stop the run at the same time.

12. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Nope, but if the Steelers wanted to part with Polamalu....

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

1) he doesnt guard 1 receiver the entire time.

2) royal has had a terrible year so far. 6 catches.

14. No Worries

No Worries Member

The Texans have drafted better WRs than CBs. The trade would guarantee that they landed a pro-bowl, shut-down CB.

Still, as a fan, I would hope that they would not make the trade and show more loyalty to AJ.

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

I don't know about the game last week, but last season, he followed AJ all over the field and held him to 2 catches for 19 yards.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm the one who usually has to point out to people that he doesn't shadow WRs, but the Broncos mostly tried to get Marshall away from him and thats why Royal was a decoy most of the game.

Regardless of your points, I still don't see how someone could say he's "sucked" this season.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

well i'm glad i saved you the time of having to point that out :)

but i agree, it is hard to say he sucked

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

for someone like AJ, i'm sure he will follow him more than he usually follows a WR, but it won't be all the time.

19. baller4life315

Moes -- I only saw the first game against SD. Is it more of the same this year with Asomugha where QB's don't even bother throwing to his side?

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

What is it with so many Texans fans thinking that getting a high end corner back will fix the defense?

But as for this possible trade, heck no. Asomugha's contract is nasty to take on, he won't stop our defense from giving up the run and Dunta will still want similar money to stay. Never mind losing our best offensive weapon which certainly won't win any games for us.