1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Webber disrupt Francis and Mobley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jan 28, 2001.

Tags:
  1. vince

vince Member

Do the Rockets have enough balls to share with Webber in the line up?

This might prove to be a problem when Webber makes his final decision as to what team he will be going to!

------------------
    The guns are cocked and the soldiers are in place, it's time to march and let the battles decide the war.

2. University Blue

Let me be one of the first ones to say that Webber will NOT leave Sacramento. But for the sake of discussion, let's compare the possible teams he might consider.

Sacramento
    C Divac, Pollard
    PF Funderburke
    SF Stojakovich, Turkoglu
    SG Christie, Barry
    PG Williams, Jackson

Houston
    C Un-Decided
    PF Maybe Taylor, Thomas
    SF Un-Decided
    SG Mobley, Anderson
    PG Francis, Norris

New York
    C Camby, Longley
    PF Johnson, Knight
    SF Sprewell, Maybe Rice
    SG Houston
    PG Ward, Childs

Sacramento has one, maybe two solid players at ALL positions, experience in the post-season, and great chemistry.

Houston has no reliable Center or SF, poor defense, and has not made the playoffs with the current cast.

NY is like Houston -- they're good/great in some areas (Allan Houston and Sprewell) and not good enough to contend otherwise (C, PF).

Right now, I like what Taylor brings to the team. Houston should focus on re-signing Taylor (and Anderson) and find some reliable/solid Cs and a great SF.

------------------
    "Breaking up is hard to do...[with] everyone trying to make it a parting befitting all the professionalism that came before. Trying to find that Olajuwon graceful fade one more time."

Scott Howard-Cooper (Sacramento Bee, ESPN.com)

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

It wouldn't hurt to find out [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

University Blue, i would list dallas too. Only because cuban would give up anything to get him.

So...

C-Laettner/Bradley/Thomas
    PF-Nowitski(slides over to the 3 so webb can play here/harvey/Vaught/Trent
    SF-Finley(slides over to hte two/Bryant/Najera
    SG-Alexander/Davis/Buckner
    PG-Nash/Eisley

I hope they dont land webber, then they would not only be a payoff team but a title contender.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

ummm i don't know but i thi nk anderson is our small forward for a while i like him playing that area

------------------
    "Wahooo"-homer
    I'm not only a fan but I'm also the bartender at clutchcity chat
    For the last time I'm not Tybrave!!!!!

6. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

Lets look at our lineup correctly now Blue...

Houston
    C:Hakeem,Los,Taylor,(Cato*)
    PF:Taylor,KT,Los
    SF:Anderson,Wizard,Mobley
    SG:Mobley,Anderson,Francis
    PG:Francis,Moochie

That is our rotation minus Bullard, Langhi, Cato*(whiner), and Collier.

Now look at Sacramento's lineup...

KINGS
    C: Divac,Pollard,Funderburke
    PF:Funderburke,Pollard
    SF:Stojakovic,Turkoglu,Christie
    SG:Christie,Barry
    PG:Williams,Jackson

Now lets compare the positions and rotations.

C: I would have to give this to Divac even though it is close. We have a better rotation.

PF: This is by far is better in Houston, mainly because there is no Webbber in Sacramento. We still have the better rotation.

SF: Sac town gets it here. Stojakovic is awesome, but Anderson is not far behind. But we have the better rotation yet again.

SG: Houston by far has the advantage, even though Christie has a good game every once in a while. Our rotation is again better.

PG: Franchise all of the way, and Moochie has been great for us.

And as for the arguement that Houston isn't even making the playoffs why would Webber want to come here when they have the best record in the West. Well if Webber was here the shoe would be on the other foot. We would be looking to win another championship while Sacramento would be waddeling.

If Webber is here we go deep in the playoffs.

Even though I have pointed out that we would have the better looking team; I still think he will stay in Sacramento. But I will forever be hopefull.

------------------
    <font size="1"> "I move for no man." --"So be it." </font>

[This message has been edited by DaryleWard (edited January 29, 2001).]

7. MManal

MManal Member

It seems like the question went completely overlooked in this thread so I think I'll take a stab at it.

Would Webber blend well with Francis and Mobley?

My personal opinion is yes. The Rockets are moving towards a pick and roll based offense and away from the isolation sets which requires a big man that can set good screens and be able to play both inside and outside. Webber would give the Rockets a pick and roll big man to mesh with the backcourt along with giving them a premier low post option when the offense bogs down. In terms of other areas, defense and rebounding, Webber would fill the bill as well. C-Webb has developed himself into one of the premier position defenders at the 4 spot and has added a consistent shot blocking ability that helps seal off the lane. I have been very impressed with the overall improvement in his game since coming to Sacramento. Also, Chris Webber is one of the premier rebounders in the game but that is no secret.

What really intrigued me about a week back was a sideline report from Craig Sager where he said Webber would like to go to a city bigger than Sacramento and prefers the Western Conference. When you tally it all up, the Rockets have as good a chance as anyone to land this guy imho. It obviously is going to be very difficult still, but its worth a shot (dont waste the cap room on Big Continent).

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

8. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Plus Webber has mentioned repeatedly that he has family in Houston that has been practically begging him to come to town.

But anyways, to the topic... With the success Mobley has started having with the pnr, it would seem that Webber would have a heyday here. Plus, imagine having a player unlike our Kelvin that actually catches his passes, regardless of how hard or soft they're thrown... [​IMG]

And with Webber in the lineup we'd go down low a lot more, which will open up our spacing, and allow us slash on the weakside, one of Shandon's specialties, by the way.

Plus, if nothing else, with his rebounding ability, he's sure to get plenty of scoring purely off the offensive glass. (points that we're not getting now anyway...)

The trick is to get him...

[​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

no, webber would only increase this team's chances of winning another nba title.

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

There are very few players who you can plug into any team and blend nearly seamlessly. I believe Chris Webber is one of those players.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Webber, Anderson, Cato, Mobley and Francis.

Imagine teams trying to go inside on Cato(if he can stay healthy) and Webber? Two very real shot blockers.

And with the rebounding ability that Webber brings Steve and Cat can stop worring so much rebounding and concentrate more on catching a nice outlet pass from Webber while running the brake. Imagine the extra high light real dunks we would get from Steve because of the added defensive rebounds that Webber would bring.

With Webber in the line up with Cat and Steve, that gives you three guys that the opposing team can never leave unguarded. Imagine Catos man sagging off to double up on Webber leaving Cato all alone to fly to the rim making some of those powerfull athletic dunks we saw him make last year before the wrist injury. Yes I think Webber would help improve Catos game a lot.

Personally I think CWebb would mix with Steve and Cat real well.

------------------

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think he would fit in just as well here as he does in SacTown. Francis and JWill take about the same # of shots and Cat takes a few more than Peja, but overall it's about the same. I don't think NYK have much of a chance in this are b/c I doubt Spree,Houston, and CWebb can all share. Dallas also might have a decent chance at landing him, and they could put Nowitzki at center. Imagine Shaq and others trying to guard his deadly shot then.

------------------
    "Steve is good. Steve is real good."
    -- Cleveland's rookie point guard Andre Miller on Rocket rookie point Steve Francis

[This message has been edited by DieHard Rocket (edited January 29, 2001).]

13. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

I think Webber has clearly stated that he wants to go to a title contender, which I believe means a team that is close to being a title contender without him...so that way he helps put that team over the top.

------------------
    ------------------
    Hakeem: "Exit Suugar Lan"

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think the only team that is close to a title w/out him that needs a big man is Pheonix, at least in the West anyway. I don't think they are going to have much cap room in the offseason though, so the closest thing are Houston and Dallas. Portland could work off a sign and trade and give up a couple of the big men they have now, but I don't think they need him. He won't have many options.

------------------
    "Steve is good. Steve is real good."
    -- Cleveland's rookie point guard Andre Miller on Rocket rookie point Steve Francis

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

What if we have a shot at drafting Haywood? I think he will be a much better player than Cato.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What if we have a shot at drafting Haywood? I think he will be a much better player than Cato.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I would say definitely draft Haywood...but keep Cato until he is better.

To Die Hard Rocket, I don't see Webber going to Dallas as long as Nellie is the coach.

------------------

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Lil and crash, haywood really isnt that good. I think he can turn into a solid 13points 8 rebounds guy, but so can Kelvin.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

18. MManal

MManal Member

Crash, very good point on the Nellie-Webber thing, I completely forgot about that, scratch Dallas off the list.

Also, Brendan Haywood would be a horrible pick imho. He has bad footwork, very slow laterally, a horrible feel for the game and has bad hands. Talent wise Cato is better than him but that isnt saying mucn b/c Cato obviously is not delivering on the talent. I would much rather draft Woods than Haywood or find some other alternative ie play Mo Taylor at center or sign Antonio Davis.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net