1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst date or anniversary story

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HAYJON02, Oct 15, 2009.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I doubt I'll take the cake on this one. Some of you guys are really out there. Don't prove me wrong.

Yesterday, my girl and I celebrated our 4th anniversary together. I cook a nice dinner pretty much every night so we hardly ever go out to eat besides for sushi. So I figure ehhh lets go out to a really expensive dinner. How could I possibly fail?

We'd never been to Melting Pot but I've heard good expensive date-like stories. Perfect! We got a really quiet booth in the back, nice ambience, friendly staff.

They had some big Alpine-themed special for 2 that cost $92. It was 4 courses: a fondue with breads, fruits and vegetables, a couple salads, a platter with lobster, steak, chicken, shrimp, hefeweisen sausage, raviolis, and then chocolate fondue for dessert (which we never saw for reasons soon revealed).

I had never had fondue before but the first course had Riesling in it, along with garlic, mustard and 3 white cheeses. Food with alcohol in it! I usually comsume my alcohol a la carte but GREAT! We dove in almost immediately, perhaps a bit too quickly.

My girl becomes silent, distracted and pensive looking. Not good, usually that means I did something. On this night though, she was having, through the Riesling fondue, her first alcoholic drink maybe ever. It must have been like tripping on acid for a girl her size. I guess we ate it so fast the alcohol didnt have time to evaporate.

Long story short, she started getting really nauseous so we had to rush through the salad and then finally get all the meat to-go after dumping it all in the burgundy broth. The desert they were nice enough to give us a rain check on, but it wasn't for the dessert we paid for in the package ("one small choc fondue").

So basically I spent $120 after tip on to-go. It hurts me deeply in my self. However at least I didn't make the easy mistake of actually showing my frustration to my boozed up girlfriend. After all, it wasn't her fault she acts like a wet Mogwai when exposed to minute amounts of alcohol. But still... :mad:

Thats like worse than getting Benihana to-go. You're paying a premium for the experience. I could have replicated the actual food at home for a fraction of the cost, and had all the Riesling for myself!

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I went to this restaurant with this girl and we got 80 or 90 dollar meal. I think my meal was 11-12 and hers was rest. What I got wasn't even that good. That is what you get for being a vegetarian. I think she felt bad, and offered to pay for it. Should have let her do it.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh man, you got dragged to the Melting Pot? I feel you, my brother. My wife LOVES that place and we always go there on our anniversary.

I don’t get that place. Cool concept, but bad execution IMO. The waiter always explains in great detail the differences between the boiling sauces…..but they all taste exactly the same to me. Actually, they all taste like WATER. I really think that’s all they are. Same with the cheeses. They have 17 different kinds, but they all taste the same. The bread they give you always seems kind of stale and hard. The cuts of meat are usually pretty good, but once again, you’re basically just boiling it in WATER. And the desserts are okay, but from what my wife says, they’ve really cut down on how much they give you. She said they used to give you twice as much for the same price. If I’m going to drop $120 on a meal for 2, I want more food (and dessert) than I can eat.

One thing I like do about the place is the very private booths. I guess I can see how women would love that place. Men? Not so much.

Anyway, pretty funny story, OP. You’ve got a good writing style. I’ve never heard of anyone actually getting drunk from the tiny amount of alcohol in food! Does your girlfriend weight like 80 pounds?

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...i can't imagine men liking very private booths.

Sincerely,

Pee Wee Herman

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It was in December of '06 and we were finishing up a big proposal at work. The wife and me wanted to celebrate our 6 month wedding anniversary by going out of town, having dinner, and watch a movie. Well, first of all there was miscommunication between me and my boss as well as the guy in marketing that I was turning things into. The marketing guy told me that he had plenty of stuff for his people to work on and he knew I was coming in the next day (a Saturday) to finish up the rest. So, around 5, I left with the wife to start our trip out of town. The controller for the company (she was actually the assistant controller at that time) started calling for me on the phone and couldn't reach me. She calls the guy who sits behind me and he tells her that I had already left for the day. Now around this time, my boss calls me on my cell phone to verify that I did turn everything in which I responded to the best of my knowledge, I had. We are almost on the main highway to Murfreesboro when my boss calls again, irate and screaming that I had screwed him over. Apparently, the assistant controller called him up and gave him a very good ass chewing about me leaving for the day despite not everything being turned in. I had no choice but to turn around and go back. With my wife waiting patiently in our break room, my boss and the guy that had ratted me out wouldn't let me do anything except just stand there looking like a great big dummy. I tried to explain my side to my boss but he wouldn't really hear it as I could tell he was really pissed.

So, about an hour later after coming back, the wife and me tried again although by this time I was ready to just go home and go to bed (as I knew the hammer would come down on me for this down the road). She drives as I don't feel like it and she is just driving like a bat out of hell the whole time. I tried joking with her about her driving but she didn't appreciate the joke. We decided to eat at an Applebee's and I ordered a "perfect margarita" not knowing how much I would be getting. I wound up drinking the whole thing (it was like the equivalent of 3 separate margaritas) and needless to say I had a huge buzz on me. We then went to the late movie and she wanted to see this flick called "Christmas at Maxwell's". I didn't recognize any of the actors' names in it but at this point, I didn't really care. I paid for our tickets using my bank debit card and we went to our seats. When we got there, it dawned on me that we were the ONLY people in that theater! I have never in my life had that happen - go to a movie on a Friday night or Saturday night and be the only 2 people in the theater. I think I have seen more people in a theater during an afternoon matinee during the workweek!

The movie was very cheesy and schmaltzy and extremely low-budget. Now I knew why no one else was watching it - it was one of those independent releases and really should have been a made for TV movie. Of course, my wife loved it but it was misery for me. When we finally got home, I think I passed out and fell asleep. I woke up the next morning because I had to go to work to finish this project but first I had to go to a breakfast thing at 8 in the morning where I met my mom along with a couple of other people in the family (primarily from my wife's side). Guess who was working the breakfast along with several other people - yup, my boss along with his wife. I introduced my mom to him and she remarked later that she could feel the tension in the air as he gave her a chilly reception. I then left to go to work, getting there around 10 in the morning. 18 hours later, I was done and went home (yes, that's right, it was 4 in the morning on Sunday by the time I had finished). And it finally occurred to me that I couldn't find my bank debit card. Somehow or another, I had lost it that Friday night when I was extremely buzzed. To make a long story short, we did win the job I was working on but I got called in on the carpet about my performance (the Friday night debacle was specifically cited against me) and got suspended from leading projects in my area. I was so upset that I started to actively look for another job. Thank God, I was given the opportunity to move over to HR in February of '08. Granted, it has cut down my time to post and spend time here but it is better than what I was going through.

6. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

The day after my marriage, me and my ex-wife left for our honeymoon after the Oilers had gone up on the Bills 35-3.

Sort of set the tone for the next 14 years. :mad:

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My best friend was married on the day Mario Elie hit the Kiss Of Death shot. We listened to it happen in the parking garage.

They're still together.

8. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Eh. I lost $790 on one poker hand last night. $120 is nothing. Don't sweat that.

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Winner.

10. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

tell us some stories about your crazy bi-sexual ex

11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

None of those were on a date or an anniversary. Wouldn't want to derail the thread. ;)

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Last Valentine's, I took my girl to Capital Grille, and she got so trashed on those pineapple vodka martinis, she cut loose the helium balloon I'd been working on for the last year.

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

This thread has taken so many twists and turns. Please dont divert it from its original course. The rails of it dare not possibly be diverted from. Think carefully on what youre about to do... it could have consequences for us all... BEWARE.