1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman Who Tried to Mail Dog Denied having Dog Returned

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 7, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This would be a funny story if it wasn't so sad. A Minneapolis woman tried to mail a puppy in the US mail and then after a postal employee noticed the package moving and rescued the dog the woman tried to get the dog back. She was mailing the dog to her 11 year old son living in Georgia and claimed to have put air holes in the box along with water bottles. The person that found the dog pointed out that any airholes were covered by tape and there was no water bottles.

There is some video of the woman's hearing at the link and I don't think she is so much cruel as she is clueless.

http://www.startribune.com/local/11...c3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Owner cannot reclaim puppy she put in mail

Hearing officer said the actions of Stacey Champion, 39, of Minneapolis, were "disgraceful." The dog may be put up for adoption as early as next week.

The puppy that almost ended up in the U.S. mail will stay at an animal shelter for at least another week after an administrative hearing officer ruled Monday that it should not be returned to its owner.

On Monday, city administrative hearing officer Fabian Hoffner ruled against returning the dog to owner Stacey Champion, 39, of Minneapolis, calling what she did "disgraceful."

The 4-month-old Schnauzer-poodle mix was nearly sent in a cardboard box to Georgia last month before it was intercepted by alarmed postal workers. Postal authorities said it almost certainly would have suffocated or died of exposure in the unpressurized belly of a cargo plane.

Champion admitted at the hearing that she put Guess in a box without food on Jan. 25, saying it was supposed to be a birthday gift for her son in Atlanta.

Because delivery was halted, Champion said, "I was deprived of my son not receiving his gift for his birthday. I felt really, really bad as a mom."

The case was so unusual that Postal Service employees weren't sure at first if the shipment was illegal, according to Postal Inspector Jesse Swanson. He said at Monday's hearing that on the day the dog was discovered, he got a call from the Loring Post Office station manager asking if Postal Service rules prohibited the mailing of puppies. He had to check the rules himself before learning that it was not permissible.

"This was somewhat uncharted territory for us," he said.

Suspicions about the shipment first arose when employees at the Loring Station post office in downtown Minneapolis saw the box move on its own and heard breathing inside. Champion had told clerks that the box contained a toy robot, according to Swanson.

Postal clerks then called Swanson and held a phone up to the box. "I could hear panting," he recalled. Concerned that the panting was getting "slower and less frequent," Swanson allowed the box to be opened.

The Postal Service will ship some live animals such as bees, certain small and harmless cold-blooded animals, chicks and ducklings. But sending live dogs and cats through the mail is not allowed.

During Monday's hearing, Champion told Hoffner, "I did my best with the procedures and everything," adding that she didn't see any signs at the post office indicating what could or could not be shipped. She said the box had air holes and held water bottles.

Postal officials said that the box's air holes were covered by packing tape and that it did not contain water bottles.

At the end of Monday's hearing, Hoffner zeroed in on Champion as she gave halting, partial answers to his questions.

"Why did you say it was a toy robot?" he asked.

"Because the lady, she just kept throwing the box around, kept throwing the box around, so I just told her it was a toy robot," Champion said.

"The fact that you didn't tell her the truth must have meant that you didn't want her to know," Hoffner said.

"Yes, I didn't want her to know," Champion said.

Many want to adopt puppy

Surrounded by news cameras and reporters, Champion left City Hall and declined to comment on her defeat.

The dog, which has been housed at the Minneapolis Animal Care and Control shelter since its discovery, is still owned by Champion but now moves closer to adoption, perhaps as soon as next week.

Animal control manager Daniel Niziolek said Champion will be asked to post a bond to pay for Guess' care at the shelter from now until Feb. 28, the date of Champion's Hennepin County District Court hearing on two misdemeanor animal cruelty charges the city filed against her for her attempt to mail Guess.

If she doesn't post the bond within five days of it being requested, she'll lose ownership of the puppy, making it available for adoption.

If she posts the bond, Guess' ultimate ownership will hinge on the result of the animal cruelty charges.

In the meantime, "Guess is doing well," Sgt. Angela Dodge, who has been handling the case for the Police Department, said Monday afternoon. "Despite the trauma he endured, he appears to be a healthy and happy puppy who likes to play and receive attention from staff."

Dodge said the city has been receiving "several inquiries each day" from citizens interested in adopting the puppy.

Anyone wishing to adopt from the city shelter must appear there in person. If more than one person wants an animal, shelter staff hold a lottery. If Guess does go up for adoption, Niziolek said, he will notify the media first to give interested people time to plan accordingly.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Watched the video. Even if she though mailing a live animal was a good idea, those "air holes" are a joke even if they hadn't been covered by mailing tape. That woman is a grade A moron.

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Everyone on her left side need to wear shirt saying "I'm with stupid" pointing to the right.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I hear stories like this and I just think to my head

SOOO ****** DUMB!! HOLY SHET!!!

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Everyone within a 10 mile radius of this dumb b**** is in danger of losing brain cells.

6. likestohypeguy

Bigger picture: deemed mentally unfit to care for dog. has a child? assuming she has 0% custody?

7. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Thankfully her son lives across the country in Georgia.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Apparently she tried getting a refund initially and was denied, said she didnt care to know about the dog when they offered to tell her how/were it was...and water bottles? For a dog?

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

America the Stupidful

Unbelievable.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Unfortunately I very likely live with in a 10 mile radius of her. :eek:

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

People this dumb should not be allow to walk freely among us.....ever.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a talented puppy. it can open water bottles

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Even if the puppy could she forgot to put the water bottles in the box.

14. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Mail a dog, go to jail. That should be mandatory. Not only is it cruel but who knows what a person that dumb would do next! LOL Toy robot, taped "air holes" and water bottles! smh Sounds like excuses of a crackhead.

16. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Someone should cut off her thumbs, put her in a box with covered airholes, throw in some empty water bottles, and mail her to Georgia.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

She indicates on her facebook page that she completed graduate school at the prestigious Argosy University with a degree in Criminal Psychology.

18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Wow, what a freaking FAIL.

How can someone be that dumb?

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member