1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman in hijab attempts bank Robbery in Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IzakDavid13, Jul 17, 2012.

?

Should someone have to remove face coverings when using bank / gas station?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tr...ngvale-melbourne/story-fnat7jnn-1226427712473

A WOMAN tried to rob a bank during a brazen attempted burglary in Melbourne's southeast last week.

INVESTIGATORS HAVE RELEASED AN IMAGE OF A WOMAN WHO MAY ASSIST WITH THEIR INQUIRIES. PICTURE:
    [​IMG]

Police are appealing for information after the woman attempted to rob the bank on Springvale Rd, Springvale at 11.15am on July 11.

Officers have been told the woman waited in line with 20 other customers before approaching a teller.

As she approached the counter she passed over a note demanding $50,000 and threatened to shoot everyone in the bank.

The female teller read the note but refused the woman’s request.

The woman told the teller that her children were being held hostage and the teller again refused to hand over any money.

The woman reached into her bag, indicating that she was in possession of a gun, however the teller still refused to comply with the woman’s demands.

The woman grabbed the note from the counter and fled from the scene on foot.
    A Victoria Police spokeswoman said victims being held up were usually advised to comply with demands, however each situation should be assessed with precaution before co-operating with someone making threats.

“Every situation is different and a person needs to make their own assessment, however an individual’s safety is always paramount,” she said.

The woman is described as being aged in her 30s, of Middle Eastern appearance, 165cm tall with brown eyes.

At the time of the incident she was wearing a white scarf over her head, a black long sleeved jacket, black pants, slip on black shoes and carrying a black leather double-strap handbag.

Investigators have released an image of a woman who may assist with their inquiries.

Anyone with information* about this incident is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au

Recently there have been groups calling for a ban of the burqa in public places due to security issues, I believe it has more to do with their own personal views in regards to the Burqa.

But due to the recent surge in crime down under I pose this question...

The question I ask is should people with face coverings ie: motorcycle helmets, ski masks, niqab / burqa, large dark sunglasses etc, be asked to remove them before entering a bank?

This is not an attack on religion, but in regards to public safety.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 IzakDavid13, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hijab is not niqab/burqa, it doesn't cover the face. Well done embarrassing yourself.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Also, link please. I'm sure others are also interested in whether you manually inserted the word hijab into the title, since there's not a mention of it in the article.

4. IzakDavid13

The picture is of a lady in a hijab. The title says woman in hijab. Where is the embarrassment?

There is even the possibility that the woman isn't a Muslim, but dressing as a Muslim...there is no mention of Islam in the article.

But instead of responding to the question, you launch a personal attack.

My mother is an Assyrian from Iraq, so I'm pretty sure I know the difference between the different Muslim head dress.

And for reference:

[​IMG]

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Seriously. Is this worth a new thread? Sheesh.

6. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

What does the fact that she's wearing a hijab have to do with anything? The anti-muslim sentiment on this board is getting out of hand.

7. IzakDavid13

Here are a few more links on same story, most Australians don't know what's hijab is so they call it a headscarf, but the identikit photo clearly shows it to be a hijab.
    Why are you mad bro?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...-robbery-attempt/story-e6frf7kf-1226427769730

A WOMAN dressed in a headscarf waited patiently in line at a Melbourne bank before threatening to shoot everyone inside, police say.

<><><><><>
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/my-kids-are-hostages-womans-robbery-bid-fails-20120717-226y9.html

...A woman dressed in a headscarf threatened to shoot everybody in a busy Springvale bank unless the teller handed over $50,000.

<><><><><>

http://news.google.com.au/news/stor...elbourne&ncl=dZqqrR7Wi9FeMGM&cf=all&scoring=d

8. IzakDavid13

The 'middle eastern' crime is so bad in Sydney and Melbourne that our police officers have had to create a special task force to combat it.

The post had no anti Islamic rhetoric in it, but y'all only see what you want to see.

9. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Don't play dumb. Why did you post this story, why is it so interesting and deserving of it's own thread. robberies happen every day here, what makes this one different?

10. IzakDavid13

I had a bad day at the office...

[​IMG]

:grin:

11. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Lol, it happens to everybody. Here, have an imaginary internets beer on me.

[​IMG]

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Fine on motorcycle helmets, ski masks, etc, but no on burqas, hijabs, nun habits, etc. They can have their own rules in Australia. In the US, the bank is safe asking a guy to remove a motorcycle helmet or be thrown out. With a burqa, you run afoul of Constitutional protections against discrimination according to religion, national origin, and gender. I don't think we'll be facing an epidemic of Muslim women holding up banks either.

13. IzakDavid13

Thanks...:)
    [​IMG]

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

OP chose to link a photo not from the original Herald Sun article, but from a site called

http://barenakedislam.com/

"Bare Naked Islam
    It isn't Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you."

again, sums it all up that I need to know about OP.

...but I am adding a cheap smiley at the end to show it's all fun and games 'round here
    :grin:

1 person likes this.
  15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Omg. Muslim men kill police women and Muslim women rob banks. Thanks for showing me the light.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Abuses surface at Legion school

OP: Just curious- do you feel as a result of the above tragedy that schools run by Christians should be outlawed? At the very least, shouldnt any school run by Christians require some level of government oversight, like special registration for teachers, government vetting of employees who are going to be there, perhaps a police presence on sight, etc?

17. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Sigh... another ATW clown in the making. Well, at least he's respectable in that he provides insight instead of just posting up articles.

They don't even mention the word hijab anywhere in the story, let alone the headline itself. So why make this about religion? If someone commits a crime while wearing a yarmulka, would you make that issue about religion as well? I'm guessing your next threads/stories will look like this:

Muslim man in identity theft scandal
    Woman wearing Islamic clothes commits arson
    Teenager with Quran in backpack steals car

Just admit that you have an agenda. At least I'll have more respect for you that way.

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

For being seen in public without a male relative she should be stoned to death.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

People should definitely have to remove face coverings when entering a bank or gas station.

IzakDavid13, don't let the hysterical PC thread police shout you down. Your article brings up a legitimate issue.

It's hilarious how always the same people will jump on a poster if actual news are posted which they would rather not see discussed because it doesn't fit their political bias.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

yeah I would rather not see the delicate issue of masked gunmen and women being discussed here in D&D, but thanks for bringing all of this to light and keeping the discussion on this topic alive.