1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizard vs. Shareef: Somebody pass the Advil.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Azim da Dream, Nov 29, 1999.

1. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Man, this guy is going to give us serious mathcup problems for us today. Wizard can't play D, he will overpower Shandon, uses his quickness against Barkley, and just fake the lights out of Cato or Rogers. The only one who will be able to even come close to containing would be Rogers, but the guy doesn't get nearly enough minutes to make a defensive impact. Normally, I wouldn't worry 'cause Shareef practically causes matchup problems for every team, but knowing our luck, Dickerson, Carr, Othella and Price will have career games. I expect MD to shoot the lights out and make a big shot in the 4th, just as Mario and Maxwell did. Howver, I do believe we have a good chance to taking it, but its going to be close.

But man is Abdur-Rahiim going to have a field day with Walt Williams.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Change does not necessarily assure progress, but progress
    undeniably requires change."

- Motto of the Houston Rockets

2. DaneB

DaneB Member

I think Steve Francis is going to have a really good game. Perhaps somewhere in the 30s? Hes to going to utterly dominate Mike Bibby.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anderson and Rogers should split time on him.The guy is a STUD.

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Well this is even. Both are the slowest players in the league. Wizard can handle the slow poke rahim.

Shareef is way better, but he is slow so williams can handle him.

If we put anderson on rahim , anderson will shut him down!

5. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Francis3,
    You are high. Shandon is good, but Shareef will pimp slap him and put him in foul trouble. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Shandon is a face-up defender, not a post defender. We'll have to get it done by committee on this one, IMO.

------------------
    "When everybody doubts us,
    we can do it. When every
    -body criticizes us, we
    can do it. But we have to
    work together."
    — Hakeem Olajuwon

6. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Francis2, I fail to see where you see the slowness in "Reef's game. Sure, he a'int a Steve Francis, but for a guy towering at 6"9" and a solid 230lbs, he can move. He isn't uncanningly quick, but he has an explosive finishing move, and spins in a DREAMesque manner. In fact, he reminds me a lot of a smaller, younger Dream. His fakes are so real you would be a fool NOT to go for them, and his myriad of spin moves with his deft footwork remind you of an Olajuwon in his prime.

To call Shareef a slow poke is like calling Charles Barkley soft spoken, it just doesn't fit.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Change does not necessarily assure progress, but progress
    undeniably requires change."

- Motto of the Houston Rockets

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

He is a great player. But he is REALLLLLY SLOW. He cant run fast, he doesnt move quick.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

shareef is probably the best player we've never heard of, if he played here or with the lakers, i think he would get alot of press. But no, he's not the quickest guy in the world, but he can getaround walt all day long. i think he's almost as good as KG.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Almost as good as KG?

You mean Kendal Gill?

Because he is not as good as Kevin Garnett. I dont look at players that play in Vancouver, great players. Shareef is a good player but not like a garnett. He could be but I dont think he could be as big playing in Vancouver. You dont get noticed up there.

But the grizzles have something interesting.

FASTEST NBA PLAYER = DICKERSON

SLOWEST NBA PLAYER = RAHIM

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

gr8-1:

Nobody is almost as good as KG. KG and Rahim are worlds apart.

Francis3:

Quickness and speed are two totally different things. Rahim might not be the fastest (speed) guy in the world, but he certainly has enough quickness to spin off of or drive past most small forwards.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

VegetableHead,

Interesting point you made about nobody being as good as KG. Not sure if you meant at every position, but I'll propose a few trades to you (let's keep 'em simple... straight-up trades). Which ones would you do if you could get KG? :

Vince Carter
    Tim Duncan
    Jason Kidd
    Lamar Odom
    Alan Iverson
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Grant Hill

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

12. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I would get Shaq or Duncan.

You can build something with them.

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited November 29, 1999).]

13. thacabbage

This is with no strings attached, right? Meaning that because this is 1999, that $21 mill a year contract Garnett signed a few years back would turn into the same thing guys are getting now (about $10 mill). Ok, if money wasn't an issue, then sure, I wouldn't trade Garnett for any of those guys. He can do so many things it is amazing.

Vince Carter - doesn't have the physical capability to do what Garnett does defensively. Garnett is 7'2 so he has the ability to do other things.
    Tim Duncan - He is nothing compared to KG.
    Jason Kidd - same as Vince Carter.
    Lamar Odom - Has a great all around game, but isn't nearly as gifted athletically as KG is.
    Alan Iverson - same as Kidd and Carter.
    Shaquille O'Neal - same as Duncan.
    Grant Hill - same as Kidd, Carter, and Hill.

Garnett has the athleticism of Vince Carter, the fire and competitiveness of Mario Elie, the height of Shaquille O'neal, the defensive prowess of Gary Payton, the shot-blocking of Dikembe Mutombo, the offensive game of Allen Iverson, and the youth of Tracy McGrady. All that to go with a boatload of jewelry.

I wouldn't trade Garnett for anyone in the league.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

CabbageDome,

Wow, I guess you meant what you said,huh? [​IMG]
    I would agree with you on every one of those except Shaq and MAYBE Tim and Vince. Vince has upside along the lines of a Jordan (I haven't seen his defense, so I'm not sure about that, but his offensive upside is incredible), Tim is the next decade's Hakeem (in many ways).

I'd take Shaq over Garnett for one reason... there is NO ONE in the NBA that is unstoppable on offense except for Shaq. He cannot be stopped without triple-teaming (maybe double-teaming) him on offense. No one else can say that. His sheer mass often equates to defense. No one can rebound like him when he puts his mind to it, no one can score like him (including Iverson) when he's going off, and no one's a force on offense and defense like he is. No one can combine all that with the addition of being an enforcer like Shaq can. That being said, boy does his FT shooting suck... hehe.

One guy I left off the list was Kobe... but I'd take KG over him any day. What amazes me about KG is his basketball maturity at his age... haven't seen that since Magic (not that I can remember anyway).

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

15. thacabbage

Shaq: Has the skills, but lacks the heart. Every year that KG has been in the leage, I have seen him improve greatly. Hell, the guy is shooting 3 pointers now! Shaq hasn't and basically just uses his size. He doesn't have half the heart and desire KG posesses. Add that to the fact that he is nearly 7 years older than KG.

Duncan: The definition of basic. If every 7 footer in the NBA practiced hard and studied the game of basketball, they would be as good as Duncan. Duncan's greatness is based on his peer's inabilities. Face it, all other centers suck and that just makes any big man with any sort of talent look good. Erick freaking Dampier gets $7 million a year! Duncan's game is basic and his athletic ability is just the same. Raw talent for talent, KG is leaps and bounds above Duncan. You watched last year's playoffs, didn't you? Duncan won the series solely because he is more disciplined than KG at this stage (after 4 year's of College), but when KG had his head in the game, and was allowed to play, he literally ate Duncan apart. There were plays when he would block the ball straight off of Duncan's shot, in his face. Add that to the fact that before this season, KG was too unselfish and always looked to pass rather than dominate. Duncan is all about fundamentals and discipline. Once KG gets some discipline he will the THE MAN.

16. napster

napster Member

I agree that you don't trade KG for Shaq. (youth). I disagree about Shaq's lack of improvement. He has degraded since his rookie year, but this year, he has been playing like he should have been before.

17. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Oh not so fast, Garnett is no where near Duncan, Duncan proved that he could carry the team in the playoff while Garnett failed to do so, and Dream blocked Duncan's shots too, that doens't mean Dream is better than Ducan at this stage, in fact Ducna gave Garnet more swats.

Duncan is the most complete and the best player in this league at present, when you are at the same age of other peers(including Garnett), and you are able to maintain composure, carry the team in the playoff day in day out, eventually win a championship being the leader, that reflects greatness other than fundamental itself, that is the first time ever happened in the NBA history fellows. Duncan is likely to be the MVP this season, not Garnett, right now Duncan is the player of the week, his stats are better than Garnett's. Garnett gives you 22 points, 12 rebounds and 2 blocks a game, and Duncan gives you 24 points, 14 rebounds and 4 blocks per game. The edge is clear to see.

Garnett failed to show up in the big game against Portland, hitting 2-14. He is fun to watch while Duncan is a service robot. Duncan is dependable and that alone is hard to find. Let's give Duncan his credit for his maturity and greatness. Dominique Wilkins and Clyde Drexler are explosive players but they are no where near MJ, and Duncan is the only one right now has a chance to exceed MJ's threepeats.

18. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Duncan is way smarter than Garnett. Thats why he is better. Garnett could become better and most likely will. But Duncan is better than Garnett right now.

19. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Yeah Garnett might be the best player in the future, but not now.

20. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

A lot of being the best has to do with the people surrounding you. Put another descent superstar around drexler and make sure they're in a bigger city and ppl would say drexler was better then they do now. For the record, please don't say porter or kersey were superstars. It would have been sweet to see a young pip and a young clyde work together.(no bad Scottie jokes or insults)

------------------
    GO ROCKETS!!!!!!!!