1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Lower Estimated Cap, Rockets Probably Can't Offer Max

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 12, 2009.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Ready for another reality check???

With the recent memo from the league office indicating that the salary cap could drop precipitously to as low as $50.4M for 2010-11, teams that had previously counted on being able to comfortably offer a max contract to at least one free agent next summer suddenly find themselves on much shakier ground. The Rockets are among those teams. Whereas only a couple of weeks ago the Rockets had expected to have as much as $25M in cap room available (assuming several key players were renounced and options not picked up, however), now it appears increasingly unlikely that the team can get far enough under the cap to offer a max contract to a free agent like Chris Bosh or Joe Johnson.

Let's take a quick look at the absolute least amount of "total team salary" the current Rockets team would have on the books next summer heading into free agency. For purposes of this starting point, I will assume that the Rockets (1) do not sign Von Wafer to a multi-year deal this summer; (2) only sign Jermaine Taylor or Chase Budinger to one-year deals this summer; (3) renounce their rights to Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook, Brent Barry, Luis Scola, Kyle Lowry, Jermaine Taylor, Chase Budinger and (if signed to a one-year deal this summer) Von Wafer; (4) do not pick up their team options on Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes; (5) waive Joey Dorsey (assuming his partial guarantee is relatively small); and (6) trade away their first round pick. I only assume that the Rockets will pick up the 2010-11 option on Aaron Brooks for slightly over $2M, since they'd be insane not to and they must do so by October of this year. This will leave the Rockets will only FOUR (4) players under contract for 2010-11:

Yao Ming $17,686,100
    Shane Battier $7,354,500
    Trevor Ariza $6,322,320
    Aaron Brooks $2,016,691
    (SUB)TOTAL: $33,379,611

Now, add to that a "roster charge" of $473,604 for every roster spot under 12 that the Rockets do not have filled. With a total of 8 spots missing, these roster charges add up to another $3,788,832. That puts the Rockets' total team salary up to $37,168,443. Using the league-estimated $50.4M cap figure, this puts the Rockets' BEST CASE SCENARIO at $13,231,557.

Again, this is an impossibly low and ridiculous hypothetical for the Rockets' total team salary. For example, the Rockets would not trade away what is sure to be a late lottery to middle first round pick. They also have to add any partial guarantee on Dorsey's salary to its team salary figure. Also, it is unlikely that Landry's $3M team option is not picked up (that is, unless the Rockets wanted to re-sign him as a restricted free agent in 2010, in which case his cap hold would be $6M, which would only further increase the total team salary figure). Also, Taylor and Budinger will likely be signed using small portions of the MLE to multi-year "minimum equivalent" deals. And for those who want to re-sign Von Wafer, his contract would likely involve at least a player option for 2010-11, so that would further increase total team salary. When you factor all of these items into the equation (they keep the first rounder at $1.92M, let's say $200k guarantee for Dorsey, option picked up on Landry, multi-year deals for the rookies, and Wafer signed to multi-year deal paying $2.5M per year), the total team salary increases to about $43.94M, and the available cap room would shrink to a much more realistic $6,455,187.

Again, this is still assuming the Rockets renounce both Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry. Even if Shane is moved next year for an expiring contract, then you're still only looking at about $13.81M in cap room. Not enough for the Chris Boshes or Joe Johnsons of the world to come over.

So . . . what does this all mean?

Given the ever-increasing likelihood that the Rockets won't have enough cap room to make a max contract offer to a prime free agent (even with a somewhat higher salary cap, the Rockets would still have to renounce Scola and Lowry to even have a shot), combined with the fact that these max-caliber players can make significantly more by staying with their current teams, I have to think that Daryl Morey is thinking about improving the Rockets via trade and NOT via free agency.

Personally, I don't think the salary cap will end up being as low as the $50.4M estimate projected by the league office as a realistic worst case scenario. Still, it likely won't be nearly as high as this year's salary cap of $57.7M, and the Rockets seem to have very few scenarios in which they can make a straight-up pitch to the top dogs in free agency next summer. If the team has to be gutted just at a CHANCE to sign one of those guys, then I'd much rather stick with the current core and seek to improve via trade.

These developments with the salary cap make it all the more interesting to see what Morey is able to do with Tracy McGrady and his expiring contract. If they can find a player worth more to the team than the amount of cap room they would expect to have, then Morey probably has to pull the trigger on a deal. Of course, the amount of bad contracts he takes back will play a significant factor as well. Whether a major deal happens this summer or in February (by which time Morey will have had the opportunity to better gauge how league revenues are faring and to run projections on the salary cap), it is going to be VERY interesting.

3 people like this.
  2. Miguel09

Miguel09 Member

the rockets are giving someone a max contract dont worry about it. most likely dwane wade

3. worzel gummidge

The time it's taking Yao & the Rockets to announce a decision on his future seems unusually long. Is he mulling retirement?

Clutch twittered a while ago he heard pre-draft rumors of the "r-word".

That would open up cap space.

4. m_cable

m_cable Member

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Bima offers a detailed explanation as to why offering a max contract next summer will be nearly impossible and you give this response without using any rationale. Brilliant.

And, remember, even if we somehow do clear up enough cap space to offer a max contract, there will still be a greater demand than supply for that handful of top notch FAs. In other words, simply having the money to spend doesn't guarantee anything and this doesn't even factor in the fact that guys like LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc... can resign with their own teams for more money.

Anyhow, great post, Bima. I agree that any big talent acquisition will likely happen through trade rather than free agency, if it happens at all.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I think everyone paying attention knew the Rockets were not going to sign a player to a max free agent contract, it was a S & T or simply a trade.

Also the lower cap number hurts a number of teams trying to get free agents... not unique to the Rockets

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

What is mostly unique to the Rockets is that there is a good chance that both cornerstones of our franchise are done for good and we are suddenly in more of a need for a franchise player than most other teams.

Many of the teams we consider awful at the moment at least have building blocks... OKC has Durant, Westbrook, Green... Memphis has Gay, Mayo... the Clippers just got Griffin to add to Thornton, Gordon...

Assuming Yao and McGrady never return to form (not a definite), who is our franchise player? I'm not trying to focus on a cliche like "franchise player" but it has signficance. It's very hard to win without at least one premier player.

We suddenly have less talent than teams like OKC and Memphis.

1 person likes this.
  8. rockets934life

I was wondering about this ever since I heard the cap going down...I really think ur going to have lots of teams having issues like Dallas, NY and LA because unless there owners are willing to pay major Luxury Tax fees then they will be way over. I think we should restructure via trade as you've said because it will allow us more flexiblity and prepare as of NOW! I've never been a fan of 2010 and alot of teams will pay if there considering it already as there savior.

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yao either retiring (please no!!!) or opting out of his contract (seemingly unlikely) represents about the only way to ensure that the Rockets are MAJOR players in free agency next summer. But if Yao "retires", I doubt he officially files any papers with the league office until his contract expires in 2011. Why would he leave all that money on the table for 2010-11? I think that is what Hakeem did with the Raptors, not officially retiring until about a year and half after "retiring". But the league would likely granted salary cap relief at some point during the summer of 2010, so I suppose it would still work from a salary cap standpoint.

My bad. I forgot about that thread. Plus, there have been several developments since that thread started, including the development that the Rockets had obtained the DPE to use on Ariza, opening up the possibility that the MLE could still be used, further reducing 2010 cap space.

Possibly true, but teams like the Knicks, Heat and Nets will have a LOT more cap space than the Rockets. Still enough to comfortably offer at least one player the max. Probably not two, though. And the allure of the NYC area (and the oodles of available endorsement dollars) or Miami Beach (and, like in Texas, no state income tax) would be a lot more enticing for most of these guys than playing in Houston.

(As an aside, I think Bosh ends up in Miami next summer if he doesn't stay in Toronto. The Heat would have Wade, Bosh and Beasley. They could become serious contenders after 2010. Personal opinion, that's all.)

10. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Listen, i like the analysis. But your assumptions is very flawed.
    The salary cap will not drop to 50 million. It is at 56 MiL this yr, and a 6 MIL drop is over 10%. Highly unlikely.

The other thing is I don't think the Rockets will be very concerned about renouncing rights to several of our scrubs, except Luis Scola.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I readily admit that I don't think the 2010 salary cap figure will actually end up being $50.4M. But it most likely won't be nearly as high as this year's cap. So, for the sake of your argument, let's assume a cap figure of $55M. That's a very reasonable figure. Even then, when you factor in the realistic factors in my OP, you're still only talking about $11M in cap room.

That's still not going to do it.

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

The other possibility is that we nab our next "franchise player(s)" through the draft in one of the next few years. That's the way Portland did it... the way OKC is doing it.

So through the draft or through trade are the more likely scenarios for us to acquire premiere talent.

The 2010 Sweepstakes will likely end up being a period of disappointment for several teams. After the top 4 FAs, there is a significant drop off in terms of franchise-type players still in their primes. Sexy names will be there after James, Wade and Bosh but those guys (Nash, Dirk, Allen, Ginobili, etc...) will all be getting old fast. Teams overpaying those guys will be asking for a McGrady-like situation where too much money is tied to a player that is declining rapidly or even unable to play due to injury.

#12 BrooksBall, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

It's still way too premature.

If the game was getting cap space, the Rockets could probably offload Battier for an expiring at the deadline really easily.

The broader question in my mind, is what superstar could we actually get that would be a true difference maker? I don't see us getting LBJ or Wade, and I don't think Bosh is that guy.

14. iball

iball Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BimaThug again.

15. rockets934life

Yep and the sad part is that alot of those guys are going to resign with there teams so the free agent class wont even be that big...I think NY gets James but unless they want to go right back in cap hell there not going to have much around him. Wade either stays in Miami or goes to NY or NJ and Bosh I agree will either go to Miami or join another star somewhere. Joe Johnson might be interesting but again who knows the cap numbers or how much if any Les is willing to go into the TAX.

16. Convictedstupid

Im a noob when it comes to nba salaries, so im a bit confused. Isnt the NBA lux tax at 69.4 mil this year? So what is the difference between cap space and the lux tax? If we are over the cap (56 mil) but under the luxury tax, does that just mean we cant sign players via FA, but we can still take on a bigger contract through trade?

17. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

After doing some hoopshyping.

Total salary figure for likely booked players:

Ming
    Landry
    Battier
    Ariza
    Brooks

= 36.3MILLION

Guys on fringe contracts:

Dorsey
    Buddinger
    Lowry
    Jermaine Taylor

=approx. 4MIL (We'll only keep three of them i think, Lowry is gonna be expensive)

That makes 39.3MIL

Lets further assume Wafer is resigned at 1.8MIL per

TOTAL = Approx. 42MIL

Assuming CAP will be dropped to 54MIL
    The conservative estimates gives us only 12MIL of Cap Space.

It does seem that this amount will be difficult for us to land a top FA while retaining the services of Luis Scola. But given that Morey is such an expert at handling numbers and the cap, I;m sure he'll figure something out.

One possibility I see is the trading of shane battier, especially if we resigns Von and guys like Buddinger, who is looking very solid at summer league, develops.

1 person likes this.
  18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Agreed that there's a long way to go before we get to the critical point of picking a new direction for the franchise. My point, however, is that, even if the team offloads Battier, there STILL probably won't be quite enough cap room to draw a "max guy". I'm just pointing out that Morey will probably have to consider trades this offseason and February a lot more seriously than we Rockets fan had initially thought. That's all.

1 person likes this.
  19. Rudyball

Rudyball Member

nice post BT. Trading is the way Morey should go anyway to get the best value for the buck. Still love Shane but he is our best chip at the moment, and times are tough.

20. iball

iball Member

How are max salaries determined? If the salary cap does drop, then wouldn't the max salary teams can offer players also drop (excluding their own free agents)?