1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 7 phone announcemet live now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7IOTrqlz4jo&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7IOTrqlz4jo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

#1 Faos, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

There is no monopoly. The iPhone is very popular, yes, but there are plenty of options: Blackberry, Android phones, WebOS and all the different hardware that goes with them. Droid, Nexus One, Pre, etc. etc.

Windows Mobile is going to have to compete with all of them.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/windows-phone-7-series-is-official-and-microsoft-is-playing-to/

Windows Phone 7 Series is official, and Microsoft is playing to win

By Joshua Topolsky posted Feb 15th 2010 9:00AM
    Breaking News

[​IMG]

Windows Phone 7 Series. Get used to the name, because it's now a part of the smartphone vernacular... however verbose it may seem. Today Microsoft launches one of its most ambitious (if not most ambitious) projects: the rebranding of Windows Mobile. The company is introducing the new mobile OS at Mobile World Congress 2010, in Barcelona, and if the press is anything to be believed, this is just the beginning. The phone operating system does away with pretty much every scrap of previous mobile efforts from Microsoft, from the look and feel down to the underlying code -- everything is brand new. 7 Series has rebuilt Windows Mobile from the ground up, featuring a completely altered home screen and user interface experience, robust Xbox LIVE and Zune integration, and vastly new and improved social networking tools. Gone is the familiar Start screen, now replaced with "tiles" which scroll vertically and can be customized as quick launches, links to contacts, or self contained widgets. The look of the OS has also been radically upended, mirroring the Zune HD experience closely, replete with that large, iconic text for menus, and content transitions which elegantly (and dimensionally) slide a user into and out of different views. The OS is also heavily focused on social networking, providing integrated contact pages which show status updates from multiple services and allow fast jumps to richer cloud content (such as photo galleries). The Xbox integration will include LIVE games, avatars, and profiles, while the Zune end of things appears to be a carbon copy of the standalone device's features (including FM radio).

Besides just flipping the script on the brand, the company seems to be taking a much more vertical approach with hardware and user experience, dictating rigid specs for 7 Series devices (a specific CPU and speed, screen aspect ratio and resolution, memory, and even button configuration), and doing away with carrier or partner UI customizations such as Sense or TouchWiz. That's right -- there will be a single Windows Phone identity regardless of carrier or device brand. Those new phones will likely look similar at first, featuring a high res touchscreen, three front-facing buttons (back, start, and perhaps not shockingly, a Bing key), and little else.

Carrier partnerships are far and wide, including AT&T, Deutsche Telekom AG, Orange, SFR, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Telefónica, Telstra, T-Mobile USA, Verizon Wireless and Vodafone, while hardware partners include Dell, Garmin-Asus, HTC, HP, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba and Qualcomm. We're told that we likely won't get to see any third-party devices at MWC, though Microsoft is showing off dev units of unknown origin.

We had chance to go hands-on with a device before the announcement, and we've got some detail to share on just what the experience is like, so click here to read our hands-on impressions (with lots of pics and video on the way!).

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm more curious to see if this can compete with not only the Iphone, but also all the new Android phones.

My wife has the Droid and loves it.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ever since I got my ZuneHD I figured it would have been a sweet phone.

Sort of what their Win7 phone looks like.

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

approximate date as to when these phone should be coming out?

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I saw your URL.

I clicked.

Waited 10 minutes. Site didn't respond. So I decided to take a screen capture. It's still trying to load as I type, as I snip it from Windows 7, as I post the image on imageShack, as I post the ImageShack URL of the image here. The website will not respond. :( It's getting hammered by too many peeps:

[​IMG]
    I truly wanted to see what the hubbub is all about. :eek:

EDIT: It's up now (that's what BILL GATES said).

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Last quarter I believe

11. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Probably out some time during the holidays. I'm currently have a WinMo phone and while it works well and is capable, it's just SLOW. Looking forward to see how WinMo 7 turns out. Sadly, since the OS demands more, there will be no upgrading to it.

12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

looks promising, at least it'll have more than one platform, unlike the webOS+pre

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7IOTrqlz4jo&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7IOTrqlz4jo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ZDNet review:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=2514&tag=bitly

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

man I guess I'll hold off on getting the HTC HD2. Won't even know if that phone will support WinMo7

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lack of customization options is depressing. I love my jailbroken iphone because of the themes I can put on it. I had an G1 a while ago and I also themed it.

Overall, interesting, but not really revolutionary. In my book, it was about time Microsoft stepped up their game.

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I still plan on getting the Google My touch or the G1

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The phone UI looks very dull and unoriginal...

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Wow, Windows 7 OS mobile look freaking fantastic! I can't wait to see it on other devices. About time Microsoft.

19. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Are you kidding me? This is what I considered dull, unoriginal:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The UI for Microsoft Windows 7 OS mobile is simplistic but very attractive.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like the zune interface, it's really nice.