1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Win or Lose, Houston's 2012 Committee is Amazing

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is just incredible to me. This reminds me of McNair and his pursuit of the Texans when everybody guaranteed LA would get the team. The 2012 Foundation members are like bulldogs! :)

<i>IAAF gives 2012 bid helping hand
    By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

With only a few days left until the U.S. Olympic Committee cuts the field of 2012 Olympics bid candidates from four to two, Houston's plan to hold track and field events indoors has won a potentially critical endorsement from the head of the sport's governing body.

Lamine Diack, president of the International Association of Athletics Federations, sent a letter this week to former Houston City Councilman John Kelley endorsing the conversion of the Reliant Astrodome into the world's first enclosed, full-scale track venue.

"IAAF applauds the Houston, Texas (USA) concept of a 400-(meter) controlled temperature stadium, meeting all IAAF specifications in track and field," Diack wrote. "The IAAF endorses and blesses the concept for the future of our sport worldwide."

Diack's letter was forwarded to the USOC on Tuesday, the final day to submit evidence or information in support of Houston's bid to become the U.S. candidate city for the 2012 Summer Games.

The USOC's 2012 site selection team meets Tuesday in Chicago to cut the field of four candidate cities to two, to be followed by a final vote by the USOC board of directors in November.

New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., remain in the running along with Houston.

As part of its bid, the Houston 2012 Foundation hopes to convert the Astrodome for full-time use as a track and field facility. The conversion would cost an estimated $90 million and also would make Houston a prime candidate to host the world track and field championships, which have never been staged in the United States.

Kelley, in his role as president of the Houston International Sports Committee, received Diack's endorsement for the Astrodome conversion plan earlier this month during a meeting in Zurich, Switzerland.

"We are offering the USOC a legacy for track and field -- a controlled-temperature stadium that can host events at any time," Kelley said Wednesday. "Not only would they be getting this for the Olympic Games, but it would practically guarantee the world track and field championships for the U.S. for the first time.

"People all over the world are talking now about Houston and about this revolutionary concept and how someday there could be one of these enclosed stadiums on every continent."

Although Kelley is founder of the Houston 2012 Foundation, his visit to Zurich was arranged through the sports committee, which is charged with the task of attracting athletic competitions to the city.

"Getting the world championships for Houston is one of John's ultimate goals," said foundation president Susan Bandy.

But she said Kelley's visit, which was arranged in part with assistance from 2000 Olympic track and field coach John Chaplin, also is a significant development in Houston's pursuit of the Olympic bid.

Chaplin is one of the few Olympic track coaches who have not signed letters in support of the San Francisco bid.

"I don't think anybody will be swayed by having a bunch of coaches writing letters, especially since we have many of them on film talking about what an incredible concept the Astrodome is," Bandy said.

"Things like this (Diack's letter) are a lot more powerful, because this comes from the group that will have to put on the event."

In the past, Diack has been critical of the inability of countries such as the United States and Great Britain to host major international track and field events.

"American athletics is still central to our thinking," Diack said last year in an interview with the Daily Telegraph of London.

"But I have told them, `You are just like Africa; you don't have television coverage, no sponsorship of consequence but fantastic athletes.' "</i>

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

track and field is HUGE in Europe. it's hardly "on the radar" here in the U.S.

track and field stars in Europe are as big as baseball, basketball and football stars are here in the States.

i'd like to see some world class t/f at the dome

3. red

red Contributing Member

good to see that the dome is going to be put to good use. question regarding the olympics and olympic quality facilities in houston...what are they planning on using for a swimming venue. does the site already exist or would it be something that needs to be built by 2012?

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

We may not get the Olympics...but it won't be for a lack of an awesome bid! One of the things I like about the idea of getting the Olympics is that they'd build the Olympic Village in the UH area. Renovating that area is the only way that UH will become a top tier school the way it was in its heyday.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The aquatic facilities would have to be built. There is some debate over whether it would be built on the UH campus or a little further out - maybe out 290 or 288.

Everything I've heard, however, is that they are planning a joint aquatics facility to serve both the UH and TSU campuses.

6. Refman

They'd build it close to UH. It would be close to the Olympic Village and it fots the main strength of our bid...that the facilities are so close to each other. We have the tightest cluster of facilities in the country. Not to mention that they're all new.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have my Houston2012 sticker on the back of my car!! I hope we get the Games....

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I second red's thoughts

I'd be really happy for Houston to get the Olympics, but I'm happier that they found a use for the dome.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Winning the Olympics would give Houston ten years to maybe build some more light rail to help ease some of the city's grotesque traffic problems and the frontier mentality of its politicians....maybe? Anyone?

(sound of crickets chirping)

When is the next vote? When do we learn if we made the cut?

My guess: New York and Houston will make the cut.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Houston already has a plan for Metro for 2020, but the rail is one of the first components. It is pretty much a given that light rail would be targeted and really sped up if we got the US bid, nevermind the world bid.

11. Christopher

Christopher Member

Will it be enough to get the games. I would think they would rather a new stadium and brand new facilities. In recent years how many olympic games have been held in old stadiums?

I think if a city gets the games the best idea is to have the main stadiums in the same area like we did in Australia. The Swimming, indoor and athletics stadiums were all in the one area. It helpd with transport to as for the duration of the games all roads led to the Olympic Park.

With the way the Sydney games are run I think bidding for the game would become very simple. Just chuck in a tape from 2000 and say "We're going to do that" :)

I hope you get the games.

Good luck Houston!!! :)

12. Old School

Old School Member

IMO, from a facilities standpoint, Houston is the hands down favorite to host the 2012 games. The problem is with Houston's image across the world. We just don't have the reputation as being a destination city. It's pretty sad when your top tourist attraction is the Galleria.

os

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

all you have to do is sell the strip clubs to the IOC.

and BAM.

THe Olympics in 2012.

Atlanta...

Utah...

14. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I agree with ROXTXIA. I say Houston and New York will get it. I honestly think we're the best choice, but NY is going to get a lot of consideration with the events of 9/11. Hopefully when the time comes for the final choice Houston will have it.

I could finally be at peace were that the case. :D

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Seriously/Honestly, I think NYC has no freaking chance to host it. It is just too complicated and just too costly.

D.C./Baltimore just won't work either. Why? Because it is Washington D.C.

San Francisco Bay Area is the second best candidate to host it. The climate is good. It is not too hot. They have the infrastructure and crap. It is diverse. yada yada. It is better than New York, and DC bmore.

But Houston, is clear cut, the best qualified to host the games. Houston has it all. The stadium, the dome for track and field, all that other crap you people and I have read. It is by far the cheapest too. We just need a big pool, and convert the dome, and we are set.

Houston has nothing to sell. No tourist crap. Some boring NASA thing, and a big ass mall.

San Fran bay area does.
    NYC does.
    DC does. I don't know about Baltimore.

Houston can win the US bid. It just cannot win the World Bid

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You pretty much nailed it. I have had the good fortune of getting to speak to people who work around the Houston 2012 Foundation and the consensus is that Houston has the best bid pretty much hands down. The number and quality of venues, the proximity of the venues to one another and the level of support from the community exceeds all the other entrants.

The big problem is the image issue. To many people outside of the US, Houston is a representation of many of America's bad qualities - congestion, smog, poor public transportation, etc.

There is even some concern that Houston would not pose a particularly attractive opponent against European cities in particular because President Bush is from Texas and he is not well-liked throughout Europe and much of Asia (I heard that one from a conservative Republican in fact). There was even talk that the fact that Harris County accounts for more executions than any other STATE in the US could present some problems with human rights groups - of course, that didn't stop China from getting the games either.

Our success is in our work ethic and our attention to detail. If we fail, it will be because our image around the world just isn't that great. However, if we land the US bid (and I still think there is a very good chance that could happen), Houston's image (along with a number of other things) will receive a dramatic boost because the entire USOC will be promoting us across the globe. This is a big deal.

17. Refman

The problem with the San Francisco bid is that the facilities are spread out all over Northern California. That, coupled with the fact that it is EXTREMELY congested make this a fairly unattractive bid.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If the whole "tourist destination" thing is so important, how in the world did Atlanta win the games?? or Nagano??? (naga-who??)...or Salt Lake City???

19. Old School

Old School Member

How?

;) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ;)

Those cities were picked in the good ol' days when cities could grease the palms of the IOC.

20. Old School

Old School Member

Not to mention "corporate greed" ie Enron.

os