1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

will you be upset if there is no major trade before the deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Jan 6, 2010.

?

will you be upset if there is no trade before the deadline?

1. Yes: This team needs a major piece to be elite, move McGrady for sure.

95 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Yes: This team needs at least minor tweaking, I'd be happy even if McGrady isn't moved.

26 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. No: This team is fine as is, let them grow together and let McGrady expire in the offseason.

31 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. No: I trust the organization even if the best choice is to stand pat.

90 vote(s)
    43.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

the NBA trade deadline is February 18th.

some of the forces working toward a trade occurring:
    - the rockets are slightly over the luxury tax, so they are likely to do at least something.
    - tracy has asked to be traded, the trade deadline is when his contract will be of maximum value.
    - the rockets are a good but not upper tier team, with room to improve via trade in order to be competitive.
    - there are stars available on underperforming teams that can be had.
    - the rockets have some flexibility to absorb an MLE-level bad contract under the right circumstances.
    - morey has said in the past that he prefers inprovement via draft and trade methods versus overpaying free agents to fill needs.

some of the forces working against a trade occurring:
    - tracy's $23m contract would require a very large, complicated transaction, probably including multiple teams.
    - the current team has good chemistry.
    - many current rockets are outperforming their contracts, meaning matching salary 1 to 1 would, in many cases, mean reducing talent or production.
    - upcoming free agency of key rockets this offseason as we have discussed.
    - the availability of good players that fit the profile that morey/adelman want, and are also on reasonable contracts is limited.
    - the lack of clarity from the NBA on next year's salary cap & luxury tax numbers prevents concrete fiscal planning.
    - all the unknowns about Yao, how well he will recover, and how the team will reintegrate him could have a major impact on which players to target.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not upset, just slightly dissapointed, because to me, it would mean there was no deal out there that Morey thought was work breaking up the core for......and I would be willing to role with that next year and a healthy Yao.

DD

3. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

True - I like to think I'd be okay with it too. But honestly, the opportunity that moving tracy represents is something we won't see again for a long time, so i'm really hoping that the team is able to get back something of value for him. it would make this season a lot more interesting, and also give the new piece a chance to play with the current core before free-agency decisions are made this offseason.

4. StacyMcGrady3

StacyMcGrady3 Rookie

They are really unwatchable at times. I would prefer for them to get that one elite piece which we can pair up with Yao. However, that does not look likely..they definitely need to make a trade right now whether that involves Mac or not.

5. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I knew it was going to be a long season this year with Tmac and Yao both out, but damn. I'm hoping for some sort of change. This team can improve. I hope Morey finds the right pieces unlike Trevor Ariza.

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

This. If no trade happens, it wont be for lack of trying on Morey's part. We just let T-Mac walk this summer and have a few bucks to re-sign our guys and see if we can bring in a solid 2 guard.

7. redao

redao Member

"No trade" is the most possible ending. I expected that. It will only mean that there is no stupid GM or stupid team that we can take advantage of. Slightly upset.

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

id prefer a no-trade unless it's for a legit superstar (aka cp3) so that we can be under the cap when we resign everyone

9. AXG

AXG Member

All of the above.

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I wouldn't be overall disappointed because the big picture is way more important then the present and if a trade is made that makes the team good now but handicaps the squad later on thats not good. I will say that I am 95 % certain something will happen so if nothing happens it will be a let down.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

All are somewhat true, but I won't be really upset about not making a move. I want a move, but I prefer no move rather then make a trade that doesn't land us a star, or young players.

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No, I won't be mad, because that means that DM was offered crap deals full of crap contracts and was smart enough to turn them down.

As long as TMac never dons a Rox uni again, I will be VERY happy

13. h0m3t0wnh3r0

h0m3t0wnh3r0 Member

in an alternate universe, tracy would be sent to the d-league to prove his worth and regain confidence and come back a better player than he has been in the last 5-6 years. but in this universe, right here right now, we need to get rid of him. he doesn't want any part of what we have going on and the feeling from the organization is mutual so lets hope DM will pull out his magic stick and get to work on a blockbuster trade that would make everyone happy. i like the okafor/stojakavic or the anthony/ellis trade idea the most. we could use either of the two packages immediately.

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

What would happen if we never signed Trevor Ariza?

Chase would be starting and might be a dark horse for ROTY

The whole club would get more efficient on offense

We would suffer a bit on defense but not too much

In fact, i'd venture to say we'd win 2-3 more games with Budinger starting.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

incorrect

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agree with this and DD's take completely.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see any major trades. I would love to have Iggy, but I just don't think the 76ers and Rockets can find a deal that will work for both teams.

I see Cook being sent out with a little cash if the Rockets can't make a bigger deal that sheds some salary this year.

18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yes but i am just a bit desperate for the team to have some success.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You only make a good trade, not a major trade, a bad major trade could be a disaster, so I do not think Morey will do it, so I vote the number 4.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I believe that if we aren't going to play McGrady we should move him because if we don't get anything good for him (or at least better than nothing) then I consider that a waste.