1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Chinese fans still be loyal to the Rockets if we trade Lin?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hikanoo49, Jul 6, 2013.

Tags:
?

Would Chinese fans still follow the Rockets if Lin is traded?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2013.
  1. Yes

70 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. Maybe so

26 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. I dont know

12 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

It sounds like one of the reasons Dwight joined us was to grow his popularity in China. Would the Chinese still follow the Rockets if we trade Lin?

2. ashiin

ashiin Member

Short answer: Yes.

3. Bucketfans

Bucketfans Member

dumb thread. many lin fans aren't just chinese

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

Just have Yao show up to rockets games, shake hands with dwight, pose for pictures. It would make Chinese fans go crazy for Dwight and Rockets.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We're not trading Lin. I think Morey is still really high on him.

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I meant to say fans from China

7. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

I think they resented the fact that we signed Lin just as a ploy to get Chinese money. They are Yao fans and he is still a part of the organization, after all Lin is from Taiwan.

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Well even after Yao retired, there were fans in China who continued to follow the Rockets. I am sure the ones who are truly Rocket fans would for sure.

9. BleedRocketsRed

Lin is from Palo Alto, CA.

10. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Most Chinese fans switched to the Lakers and Miami Heat years ago. There is no "loyalty", Yao Ming is no longer in the NBA, they don't live in Houston, Rockets are not their local team.
    They root for whoever is playing good basketball.

11. BleedRocketsRed

Idk about that. Every now and then I'd go on the Hupu forums and the Rockets one looks very active.

12. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

true, and I suspect they will follow whichever team Lin ends up on

13. leangle25

leangle25 Member

I am chinese and i supported Rockets During Yao/Tmac era. And even if Lin is gone. I still root for the rockets anyday

2 people like this.
  14. coffeelover665

don't be fooled that Jeremy Lin isn't popular in Asia. Hell when he went on that run, even the Koreans claimed that he was part Korean because of a sliver of Korean blood in his heritage.

15. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Yoa isn't dead yet, he's eating fried chicken and drinking beer. Chinese fans will forever be tied to the Houston Rockets. I love it

16. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Assuming that all of Lin's fans are Asian is just as stupid as assuming all of Lebron's fans are black.

17. kumakun

kumakun Member

Well I would stereotype just the Chinese but a Lin fan like myself will keep following Lin. I mean hell I was like one of 5 watching the Reno Bighorns play back when he was in the d league with Steve Novak and Danny Green. that's just me, I can probably will keep up with the Rockets just won't watch every game like I do now.

18. kumakun

kumakun Member

Sorry bad auto correct on the phone. I meant don't stereotype just Chinese. I'm Asian but I'm a Lin fan because I know Jeremy's grandma here and followed him back in Harvard and my cousins played ball with him in varsity basketball before Linsanity so its just a personal thing not an Asian thing. Had he been Black i d probably follow him as well.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

To be quite honest I think Lin's popularity in Asia is a bit exaggerated, at the end of the day Lin grew up in the US, he's not like Yao Ming who grew up from Asia. Yes they're all Chinese, but at the same time this is like African Americans identifying with someone who is really from Africa. I think most of the Lin $$$ comes from America, China like Chinese players but only if they become good and not just because they're chinese, Wang Zhi ZHi and that other PF bust (forgot his name) didn't retain Chinese loyalty once people realized they weren't good enough for the NBA.

If you meant Lin Only Fans well obviously they would be gone once Lin gets traded, but if you're talking about the remnants of Yao fans who became Rox fans, I doubt any of them will stop supporting the team.

20. jman255

jman255 Member

Lin is not Chinese...