1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will KJ McDaniels ever crack the rotation here in Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glimmertwins, Jan 11, 2017.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm not complaining because the team has played lights out so far this season, but I was really hoping McDaniels could be groomed into a poor man's Ariza but after getting a little run the first few weeks of the season, he has been mostly glued to the bench and I don't see him getting much better watching from the bench. Obviously D'Antoni prefers to have guys out there who can shoot(+Corey Brewer for some odd reason) so the question is knowing that is a deficiency in KJ's game, will he ever get any run barring an Ariza injury? Is he destined to be trade bait at this point?

Seems like Dekker and Brewer get most of the minutes KJ could expect to get and while I agree with the valuable playing time Dekker is getting, I'm not sure what Brewer brings that KJ doesn't? ...just seems like such a waste to have a young athletic combo guy on a cheap contract sitting on the bench not being given the chance to improve while Corey Brewer is out there missing open 3s, is an unreliable finisher, and in general gambles on defense to create turnovers. KJ could do that plus be a much better finisher on the break. I know Brewer is suppose to be a "chemistry/locker room guy" and of course he is the ultimate out of nowhere hot streak guy, but if something ever where to happen to Ariza, we would be sunk if Brewer were the replacement and at least KJ has the opportunity to be a better version of Brewer.

Thoughts? Am I overthinking this? It's a minor grip compared to an otherwise great job by the coaching staff this year but if I'm looking for small areas to improve, cleaning up that part of the rotation seems like a quick win.

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think KJ might have earned some minutes here and there, if just to spell the main guys, but he's (a) a trade bait throw-in and (b) not a shooter. So he bides his time clapping on the sidelines, waiting for the trade deadline.

glimmertwins likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Depends on if KJ can aquire the right pictures of the right people... OR steal Brewer's sizable picture stash.

glimmertwins likes this.
  4. RocketsFan92

RocketsFan92 Member

why couldnt it have been brewer for korver ):

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If he didn't get playing time last night with Gordon out, I think it's safe to say D'Antoni doesn't like what he sees from the kid and he has no chance. Last night was the night to play him if you see anything there and D'Antoni didn't even look his way. KJ will be gone soon for sure.

True Rocket, RocketWalta and KDavis like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope.

DD

glimmertwins likes this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Setting up the inevitable KJ for Dunleavy trade....

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, this pretty much sums it up.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Nope he has regressed while others have grown. And Brewer for all his faults is a vet who at least is consistent.

10. justtxyank

To me the biggest issue I've seen personally from KJ in his admittedly limited minutes, is that he is looking to get his every time he's on the court. He is so determined to prove he's good that he goes into business for himself. He did this in Philly as well.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I feel like his best chance has come and gone. D'Antoni was pretty high on him during pre-season and camp. Now, he's doomed to the dog house.

12. justtxyank

I'm pretty sure KJ burned DAntoni's trust by coming into games in garbage minutes and trying to score at the expense of others. I'm not blaming KJ really. In his situation he has to try to find a way to get another team to want to give him a shot because it won't happen here. I know fans want players to be "loyal" to the team, but he probably feels like he HAS to show something in limited minutes to get a chance somewhere else.

RudyTBag and napalm06 like this.
  13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I have no doubt now that Brewer has been working with the Russians to acquire these compromising images:mad:

BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No but he does seem like he cracks the pipe a bit too often

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For KJ to be successful, he needs to be on the floor with Harden. He can thrive as a cutter.

Without Harden he is about as brainless as players can be. Good kid, just incredibly slow.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. justtxyank

Harsh but true.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

My guess is KJ might begin to see a few minutes between now and the trade deadline. Not that he has in any way earned more playing time, but Morey won't want other teams to see how utterly worthless he actually is.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

He already did crack the rotation. The first seven or eight games of this season he was in the rotation. He got minutes and did fairly well in several games. Beverley was out during that time so Ennis, KJ, and Brewer all saw playing time. Seems MDA decided that Brewer was the better fit with the bench unit. I can't complain, the bench unit has been very good.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

As much as KJ looks to just get his, I dont see how its much different than the Corey Brewer tunnel vision 1-man fast break that ends in futility. Theyre both very black-hole like that way.

The underlooked flaw in Brewer's game is he poor at REBOUNDING. All that extra length at his position doesnt even give him an advantage, outside the occassional deflection. Another advantage to KJ.

Its almost like its just piling on Brewer, or he's an easy target to do some "seasoned eyeball" analysis on. But its not. Its he just doesnt present any real skill advantages over other players, or -other players have insertable skills at the same postion that are better than what he brings. To me KJ is a slot below Dekker in overall skill variety and above Brewer. Brewer should be the "Bobby Brown" in wing depth chart

I'm over KJ though. He's not gonna get playing time. He might not even last in NBA after his deal. He's a trade piece only now

20. mario_v

mario_v Member

He's not a good shooter but he's very athletic and can cut to the basket.

If Brewer can get playing time, then so should McDaniels.