1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Eddie now be our banger under JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HeyDude, Jun 12, 2003.

Tags:
?

Will Eddie now be our banger under JVG

1. Yes, no need to improve the 4 spot now

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. No way, not now, not ever

32 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. Maybe, but still need to go after tougher 4 just in case...

55 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Well, everyone knows our weaknesses. Its banger, shooter, and pg(if Steve moves to 2). Now that we have JVG, will this make a difference in Eddie's game enough that we dont have to improve our 4 spot? Can we rely on Mo and Eddie enough to get Yao's back, and together become the 2 headed monster at the pf like Rudy had hoped? Can we now just focus on improving our other needs like shooter and pg?? So no need to use the MLE on a pf?? So no reason thinking about going after B. Grant, Zo.....etc?? What u guys think? :cool:

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would like to see Cato(all of this as an experiment) start at the four along the side of Yao and have Eddie be backup center and Taylor as the four reserve.

Just thinking out loud. I'll shut up now.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh my God. There's another Eddie poll just a few threads down.

Ugh.

4. Toast

Toast Member

More likely, he'll be the banged.

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

not many options, basically this is an "is EG gonna be good or not poll". EG may never be a banger 4, in fact I doubt he will, so I voted get another 4 just in case. EG, if he reaches his potential, is more along the lines of a KG 4 rather than a Brand type. I think the comparisons to Rasheed could be right on if EG can add some bulk, but alas Sheed is no banger. Eddie will improve enough this season to not be a liability and after we re-sign him next summer I expect big things for small dollars from EG.

6. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

I would not mind a little experimenting with this as well. Cato showed heart last year, but remember he said he wants to come off the bench. Eddie should get tougher with JVG pushing him.

7. SLA

SLA Member

If you are serious....HECK NO!

You must mean Eddie start as the four along the side of Yao and have Cato be backup center and Taylor as the four reserve..like how it already is.

Cato could play with Yao...it was suggested many times but Rudy barely did it.....but only for a few minutes. It could work brilliantly at times if the scenario is right.

But not Cato starting....

I hope Eddie will be our banger under JVG. Or we get one.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I think he'll be our new bonger.

9. HeyDude

this is not 'is eddied gonna be good or not' thread. I was wondering if Eddie will cover up one of our weaknesses from last year. I was wondering if he will hit the boards better, block some shots, position himself well on D....that sort of thing. I was more referring to short term stuff. He may turn out to an all star, but that is not happening next year. Besides, there are plenty of other threads on that topic.
    The question is, do we stay status quo for now, or upgrade the 4?

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Uh, Eddie WAS our weakness last year. I doubt he would cover our weakness.

11. HeyDude

dude, do u even read the title???? UNDER JVG, can Eddie now cover up our weakness at the 4. By that, yes, i mean HE WAS one of our weaknesses. Can he now get better under JVG, at least enough that he is not exposed all the damn time. So we can worry about our other situations now?

12. SteadyBallin

SteadyBallin Member

A banger who thought up this question.Eddie probably somewhere around H-Town bangin "Screw" or "Swisha House".Thas probably the only thing he bangin besides his girlfriend/wife.Dude is rail thin man.Come on naw.Banger yea right..........."All I wanna do is bang screw/In da dirty 3rd city of syrup/Big Moe don stepped in/I don knocked down twins/In the city of syrup we like ta jam music slow

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What can JVG do to cover EG? Give him a pair of testicles? Give him detox, to protect him from the random drug tests?

Fact is that no matter who is coach, EG will have to give a damn himself.

14. HeyDude

so u r saying that a coach cant make that much difference on a players attitude and their game? i was actually hoping and excited that the 2 players he would really help, especially defensively, would be Eddie and Steve. I guess we will have to see. :cool:

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ultimately, it's up to the player. EG doesn't give a rat's ass. I could see Francis improving on defense, if JVG gets on his case.

EG is more concerned about puffing his stash of ganja than playing basketball.

16. SLA

SLA Member

I agree...but there is still hope! Don't give up on Eddie Grifin! I hope he is not traded....unless we get someone really good...

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why of course....under Van Gundy, Francis and Mobley will get smarter, Moochie will stop dribbling, Griffin will get stronger and learn how to shoot, Ming will be able to play 30 minutes, Mo will start rebounding...so yeah, I guess my answer is YES.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

All we need Eddie to be is Donyell Marshall-Horace Grant type of player. Eddie will never be one of those J'Oneal types like some think, but that doesn't mean he can't be a very good player on a very good team. I've said it before, if Eddie can get consistent from the ft line elbows, and get a baby hook either hand in the lane, he could be a real factor for this team. No longer will he be standing around the 3pt arc in this offense. In JVG offense, he will be at the ft line more than anything, but he has to be able to hit that shot. 13pts 10 rebs and 2blks is pretty much what Eddie will be which would be good on this team. You're only as strong as your weakest link, thats why its vital that he's at least effective. He was on the track, so maybe he knows he had a bad yr and is trying to get it right.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He can grab his leg and hold on.

Seriously, a Cato/Yao starting front court isn't the answer. I like Cato's energy coming off the bench. He's embraced his role as a backup and I think that has had a lot to do with the way he played last year vs the year before as a starter.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well technically if he played 36 minutes a night (pretty much starters minutes, and it's conveniently what RJ plays in NJ) his numbers come out to 12.6/8.8/2.1 so he's pretty much already at those numbers given playing time. his main problem is still that he can't hit his shots. if we gave him 36 minutes and he started scoring 13 a game on say 47% shooting instead of 40%, then he would be what we need. but if he always shoots 40% we're in trouble. i think his main improvement on offense will have to be efficiency-wise b/c i don't see a lot of room for stat growth with yao emerging and steve and cuttino already light-years ahead of him offensively. of course he could go ahead and be the shotblocker he looked like he would be as a rookie and average about 3 a game. that's my real hope for EG, as a twin-tower (sorta) compliment to a more nba ready yao who combine to just shut down the middle a la robinson and duncan. eg possesses that potential and i think that could be his greatest contribution to our team, much more than having a decent offensive game (although i won't complain if he adds that). of course maybe you were saying that anyways and i just rambled for a long time needlessly.