1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Christians Speak out Against Jeff Sessions misusing the bible to justify cruelty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Jun 15, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They will if they have any integrity. Sessions is just like the radical Islamists out there twisting the Quran.

DD

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A few have... but sadly, not enough. And if more did, I wouldn't be too surprised if the trumpsters would then complain about people mixing religion and politics...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That would be rich. Sessions first muddied the waters of mixing politics and religion with his twisted justification.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of the utility and adaptability of the Bible comes from how vague and contradictory it can be, as it is basically a compilation of several books and other writings written in vastly different cultures over thousands of years.

Someone will find some prohibition in Leviticus against selling your Akkadian slaves to left-handed shellfish on the sabbath and quote it in a way that convinces the yokels that torturing people and breaking up families is the Christian thing to do.

6. conquistador#11

Jesuits want to revoke the communion sacrament for those involved, canonical penalties. Those with no shame can't feel shame but it could be used for some creative campaign ads. The only ones that would be affected would be Ryan and Pence, who are 'catholic'.

Deckard and Nook like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Love em or hate em, the Jesuits don't f around.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The easy answer is...no, of course they won't.

Deji McGever, B-Bob and No Worries like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Human are rational isn't quite right. Human are rationalizing beings is more like it. No holy book is immune.

Hopefully the faith community can agree it is wrong.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not before they purge the scourge that is godless Liberalism.

Deji McGever likes this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Social Conservative Christians will speak out against Session if he says something that is pro women's choice.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I shared my thoughts on how offensive this claim to Biblical teaching is in another thread. Meanwhile, been googling a bit, and there are some Christian publications who are also appalled, like this one: https://faithfullymagazine.com/would-trump-separate-jesus-from-mary-joseph/. Trumpers probably don't read that one because it's About Us says "Faithfully Magazine is a fresh, bold and exciting news and lifestyle publication that covers issues, conversations and events impacting Christian communities of color." Unfortunately, the old adage is probably true that America is the most segregated on Sunday morning and there will probably be a markedly different approach depending on what sort of church you attend. I bet a ton of Trump-country churches will "stay out of politics" this Sunday, while liberal churches and minority churches overtly pray for the oppressed. Ministers are unfortunately like politicians, at least in well-to-do churches -- there's usually a handful of benefactors they know they can rely on to close the budget gaps or make big contributions to the capital fund, and the minister will shrink from offending them.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don’t really care what the Bible says here, and I’d rather our politician didn’t appeal to spiritual books to motivate policy. If it’s about enforcing laws, fine. It doesn’t require religion to back it up.

Sessions should have just said: our unwavering position is that undocumented adults entering the country must be detained until their cases are reviewed, and if they have children with them then those children will be placed with caretakers until the process is completed.

That setup seems fair. What I don’t understand is why it can’t be handled in a way where they can remain in contact, if not through regular visitation then at least phone contact. Am I missing why that wouldn’t be possible in each of these cases?

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm a musician. When I used to work playing for a southern baptist church on Sundays, early in Obama's first term, the pastor once twisted Romans 13 to mean "don't trust the government".

The thing with Paul's letter to the Romans is that it was meant for a specific people at a specific time in history. It's not meant to be universally applied. He's talking about a specific government and specific laws. If Paul's command to trust in government and follow the laws because God ordained them was applied to every government/law anywhere at any time then you're saying that the actions of North Korea, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Pol Pot, etc.are all biblically justified. It's just ****ing stupid to take that passage and try to apply it broadly.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not possible because then it would not be the punishment/deterrrent that it's designed to be all of a sudden.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I would like to hear from Christians like @cml750.

Deckard likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

no because political Christians, as the term is commonly understood, are very much correlated with racists who don't GAF about nonwhite kids, especially once they've left the womb.

let's stop asking why they're hypocritical and start assuming they need to be defeated and just erase their bullshit from the earth....as a matter of morality

SF3isBack!! and R0ckets03 like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are people really justifying the cruel sitautions that Illegal immigrants selfishly put their families through? I agree, we need to unite against them and prevent this kind of thing from continuing to happen.

20. cml750

cml750 Member

No I do not believe Sessions should have referenced scripture to justify this situation. What he said was very stupid. I do not care for Jeff Sessions.

Nolen, R0ckets03, Deckard and 2 others like this.