1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Bush abolish Abortion?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by moestavern19, Jan 23, 2001.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Many Pro-Choice supporters feel that their cause is in jeopardy right now . Many Pro-Life supporters feel the Time to strike is now . Some people think The 1973 Supreme Court Ruling was bogus and should have been passed as a bill . This topic is very sensitive , Many people will be hurt no matter what happens . The Democrats will be trying to stop John Ashcroft from becoming Attorney General because og his Ultra-Contervative aproach .

------------------
    Introduing the 2092 All Star lineup

SF-Jason Lewinski-Clinton
    PF- Kenny Thomas III
    C - Jason Williams
    SG- Jason Williams
    PG- John Stockton

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't think it will go that far. There have been tons of studies done that have found that around 60% of Americans believe in the right of a woman to choose abortion.

Even many Republicans are loathe to overturn Roe v. Wade. With the razor-thin margin in Congress and the Senate, it is unlikely that anything with that much significance and contentiousness on both sides would make it through.

Even if it did, you could count on years and years of litigation.

That is a dangerous road to travel for anyone and politicians are sensitive enough to their position on issues. If there was an overwhelming consensus either way, it would be one thing. But, there just really isn't.

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

All I gonna say is I hope your right Jeff.

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Keep in mind that if Roe v. Wade is overturned it WILL NOT abolish abortions. It will merely throw the ball back into each state's lap.

------------------

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The very nature of the question posed in this thread disturbs me because it shows a complete misunderstanding of how our government works.

Bobrek is exactly right. If Roe is overturned, it simply means the states would then choose as to whether or not they wanted to enforce certain abortion restrictions. Of course that would be subject to the concerns of the people since we elect the legislatures in our respective states to fashion those laws. There will be no federal law saying that no one in the U.S. can have an abortion...oh, and by the way...if there were you would have Congress to blame as much as Bush.

------------------

7. Steve_Francis_rules

I wish abortion could simply be abolished.

------------------

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You guys are right, of course. I think the primary concern isn't with whether or not states would abolish abortion. Some would but the vast majority would not.

The concern is that overturning Roe v. Wade is setting a precedent that is uncomfortable for the majority of the country. I just can't see them even taking steps to reverse it at this point. I could definitely be wrong, but I don't think so.

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can't abolish abortion any more than you can abolish sinning.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was that a MadMax sighting?

Max, you fail to realize that Bush has the power to take over the senate and, if he beats the chief justice in Thumb War (something at which I hear he is really good) then they will have to vote however he tells them to vote.

That is how abortion will be banned.

Sad, so very very sad....

------------------
    EZLN

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What I find interesting is that abortion is in the hands of the U.S. government while capital punishment is in the hands of the state governments.

------------------

12. dc sports

dc sports Member

Actually, it's almost exactly the same situation.

Since the Supreme Court undertook the power of judicial review, they have occasionally taken on the role of inventing law and responsibility for implementing certain social policy. -- This is of course, very controversial, but then, if it were an easy question, it wouldn't go to the Supreme Court, would it?

Medical regulations and punishment for crimes against state laws are considered powers held by the state. Roe vs. Wade didn't legalize abortion -- it took away most of the states' ability to regulate it.

The same thing happened several years back with Capital Punishment. The Supreme Court declared it "cruel and unusual punishment," putting all death sentences on hold indefinitely. A few years later a (changed) Supreme Court reversed itself, turning it back over to the states.
    ------------------
    Stay Cool... [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited January 23, 2001).]

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

There a six billion people in this world. We can not continue to overpopulate the planet. Abortion is necessary for the survival of life on this planet. Eventually, we will run out of room.
    Even if all the states were to abolish abortions, nothing much would change. Women would still get abortions, they would just be under the table. Of course, they would not be as safe, and some women would probably die. How's that for saving lives?

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

14. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I dont think it will happen.

Bush said he wouldn't overturn Roe Vs. Wade. and with 50-50 in congress its probably not going to happen.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I have never heard abortion as a way to control population, but i guess it would work.

Not a good way, but there really isn't a good way to prevent overpopulation.

IMHO, abortion is the mother's choice. In most situations if a mother wants an abortion it is because they could not support it anyway.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, someone will have to explain rockHEAD's pic to me....

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

17. stringthing

stringthing Member

You know, I really believe that future generations will look back on this era and hang their heads in shame. There was quite an extensive period of time where people would look you square in the eyes and rationlize slavery as well.

Mothers right to choose....what a crock of #@$%

------------------

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

stringthing,

you are assuming men will still be in power.

19. stringthing

stringthing Member

funny thing is partner, I am not. I am assuming nothing more than the fact that the day will come when this abomination is eliminated. These are dark days indeed, and I eagerly await the dawn. I may not live to see it (though I hope I do), but it will come.

[This message has been edited by stringthing (edited January 23, 2001).]

20. Steve_Francis_rules

rimbaud, you think it would be sad if it became illegal to butcher babies before they were born?
    ZRB, it sounds like you would like abortion being illegal. People will still do it so the population can stay in control, and many women will die during the process, further depopulating the world.
    Amen stringthing.

------------------